Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    Well, you're in luck. Those three parts I listed in my first post (CPU, motherboard and RAM) plus your 650W Antec EarthWatts PSU (a good PSU, for what you want IMO) comes out to be $399.96, or $449.96 with 8GB before shipping.

However, if you're not adverse to using Micro-ATX (There's really no reason to be, they're just as powerful, just smaller), then you can go with an ASRock H67M LGA 1155 Motherboard.

The H67 series aren't made for overclocking a CPU, so you'll be good on that since you don't really want to anyway. It will offer the performance you need on a good level while offering USB 3.0 and SATA 3 (6Gb/s), however it does not have the new UEFI BIOS (at least it doesn't list it on the Newegg page).

Add on a Corsair TX650 v2 PSU, which is vastly superior to the Antec EarthWatts series, the total comes out to $409.66 before shipping.

If you want to shave off $10 for the benefit of the UEFI BIOS (It really is a million times better than the regular BIOS), then go with the ASUS P8H67-M LX LGA 1155 Motherboard.

All this is with 8GB of RAM, btw.

I would still throw in a decent GPU if you plan on playing a little DA:O and/or DA II on the sides But that's just me.
    I did not have any issues running DA2 even on my current rig. Everything flowed very well, didn't have any major graphical issues, fast load times, but I wasn't on ultra settings, which wasn't a big deal to me.

I really appreciate your feedback - I don't like micro boards just because I like more space - I have large hands. Also, one last little question - should I choose to grab an intercooler for the processor (paranoia, yet again) anything specific I should look at? Or have the packaged fan combos that come with processors gotten a lot better in recent years?

---------- Post added 2011-05-04 at 12:25 AM ----------

sorry, one additional - for the full atx mobo, is there anything comparable thats closer to the $100.00 range? I can suck up the extra $50.00 if not.
    Last edited by Uggorthaholy; 2011-05-04 at 04:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    I did not have any issues running DA2 even on my current rig. Everything flowed very well, didn't have any major graphical issues, fast load times, but I wasn't on ultra settings, which wasn't a big deal to me.

I really appreciate your feedback - I don't like micro boards just because I like more space - I have large hands. Also, one last little question - should I choose to grab an intercooler for the processor (paranoia, yet again) anything specific I should look at? Or have the packaged fan combos that come with processors gotten a lot better in recent years?
    Then I'd suggest going with the full-sized ATX P67 motherboard. However, I'm going to change my original recommendation on that to something a little more favorable in price:

MSI P67A-C43 LGA 1155 Motherboard
    Intel Core i3 2100 3.1GHz Dual-Core CPU with HT Technology
    Corsair TX650 v2 650W PSU
    8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1600MHz 1.5v

Total: $429.96 before shipping. Edit: YAY for three of them having free shipping! xD

This is really the best bang-for-buck build for under $450. Full-sized ATX P67 motherboard, SATA3 (6Gb/s) w/ Intel controller, USB 3.0, UEFI BIOS. MSI is one of my favorite manufacturers, too. I've never had an issue with them (knock on wood) and recommend them the same as ASUS.

As far as the stock CPU coolers go, Intel's Sandy Bridge CPU coolers are very, very nice. They're on the level of being able to cool an overclocked i5 2500K pretty handily (though not as good as an aftermarket cooler) and will get the job done for what you need. However, if you just want it to be as cool as it can be with as little noise as possible, I'd say go for it. Would have to watch the dimensions of your case, though, as a lot of them won't fit in smaller cases.

Edit: Do remember about the Mail-in Rebate on the PSU... any money saved is money saved.
    Last edited by Cantii; 2011-05-04 at 04:34 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Then I'd suggest going with the full-sized ATX P67 motherboard. However, I'm going to change my original recommendation on that to something a little more favorable in price:

MSI P67A-C43 LGA 1155 Motherboard
    Intel Core i3 2100 3.1GHz Dual-Core CPU with HT Technology
    Corsair TX650 v2 650W PSU
    8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1600MHz 1.5v

Total: $429.96 before shipping. Edit: YAY for three of them having free shipping! xD

This is really the best bang-for-buck build for under $450. Full-sized ATX P67 motherboard, SATA3 (6Gb/s) w/ Intel controller, USB 3.0, UEFI BIOS. MSI is one of my favorite manufacturers, too. I've never had an issue with them (knock on wood) and recommend them the same as ASUS.

As far as the stock CPU coolers go, Intel's Sandy Bridge CPU coolers are very, very nice. They're on the level of being able to cool an overclocked i5 2500K pretty handily (though not as good as an aftermarket cooler) and will get the job done for what you need. However, if you just want it to be as cool as it can be with as little noise as possible, I'd say go for it. Would have to watch the dimensions of your case, though, as a lot of them won't fit in smaller cases.
    I have a full tower. Enermax Uber Chakra.

Again, I greatly appreciate all of your help. Mind if I friend you, and when it comes and I put it together, if I have any configuration questions or anything sending you a PM?

./hug

edit - I do have arctic silver at home for improved bonding between cpu/cooler, which I know helps out several °C

Again, I appreciate the feedback. Will be running this by my programming buddy just for a second opinion (though you are very well versed and I'm willing to bet he will agree with you)
    Last edited by Uggorthaholy; 2011-05-04 at 04:38 AM. Reason: #winning

I have a full tower. Enermax Uber Chakra.

Again, I greatly appreciate all of your help. Mind if I friend you, and when it comes and I put it together, if I have any configuration questions or anything sending you a PM?

./hug
    No offense, but that is one fugly case. If you're looking for an aftermarket CPU cooler, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus is AMAZING. Quite literally, the absolute best bang for buck cooler there is, just make sure it will fit in your case, and you may be able to get it for $29.99 somewhere else.

Sure, you can friend me, though I have absolutely no knowledge of the UEFI BIOS' workings, I know from the screenshots that it's easy to navigate so you shouldn't have any issues with that. But putting it together and various things like that, I'd be happy to help with it any way I can. Just a forewarning, you MIGHT have to actively turn on Hyper-Threading in the UEFI BIOS. I didn't have to with my i7 950, but I've heard of some people having it turned off on their CPUs, so just make sure that's on. Also, the new Turbo architecture is veeeery worth it if it's available.

Edit: You also might want to consider dropping down to 1333MHz RAM... save more money, and there's really not a difference.
    Edit2: And the CPU doesn't support Turbo Boost as per Intel's site Oh well, it's still fast as hell.
    Last edited by Cantii; 2011-05-04 at 04:46 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    No offense, but that is one fugly case. If you're looking for an aftermarket CPU cooler, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus is AMAZING. Quite literally, the absolute best bang for buck cooler there is, just make sure it will fit in your case, and you may be able to get it for $29.99 somewhere else.

Sure, you can friend me, though I have absolutely no knowledge of the UEFI BIOS' workings, I know from the screenshots that it's easy to navigate so you shouldn't have any issues with that. But putting it together and various things like that, I'd be happy to help with it any way I can. Just a forewarning, you MIGHT have to actively turn on Hyper-Threading in the UEFI BIOS. I didn't have to with my i7 950, but I've heard of some people having it turned off on their CPUs, so just make sure that's on. Also, the new Turbo architecture is veeeery worth it if it's available.
    I haven't ever had to do much with BIOS - I'm sure I can find some information on it somewhere - I will definitely ensure that it is enabled, as it would defeat the purpose of going with this proc if I didn't.

I know the case is fugly, but it's huge, it's sturdy, it's well ventilated, and lots of room for my Neanderthal hands to work.

Also - should I choose to stick with 4 gb ram - 2x2 is better than 1x4, correct?

I haven't ever had to do much with BIOS - I'm sure I can find some information on it somewhere - I will definitely ensure that it is enabled, as it would defeat the purpose of going with this proc if I didn't.

I know the case is fugly, but it's huge, it's sturdy, it's well ventilated, and lots of room for my Neanderthal hands to work.

Also - should I choose to stick with 4 gb ram - 2x2 is better than 1x4, correct?
    If you go with 4GB, then 2x2GB. If you go with 4GB, 2x4GB. Flooding all four slots with RAM isn't really optimal. Two slots it optimal, no idea why, someone else probably can tell you why, but it just is.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you go with 4GB, then 2x2GB. If you go with 4GB, 2x4GB. Flooding all four slots with RAM isn't really optimal. Two slots it optimal, no idea why, someone else probably can tell you why, but it just is.
    Alright, I believe I'm going to go with the setup you sent last, with the cheaper MSI mobo, and stick to 4gb of ram to save me a little bit extra, then I can get a monitor sooner.

I'm going to start ordering parts this month, and I know I will be chomping at the bit to put it all together as soon as possible.

Awesome, I think you'll be happy with it. I would at some point, though, upgrade the GPU. GTS 250 is a very much aging GPU, and with your superior CPU, you'll start to notice things. But that's something for another time.

Also, just to solidify everything I've said, take a look at the gaming benchmarks here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/t...2100-tested/20. Granted, it's not the fastest thing in anything else, as it gets thoroughly scrapped in things like video rendering and audio encoding, but in gaming, it does a number on the AMD processors, even the six core 1100 BE, and consumes less power.

Enjoy your new rig when you get it together. It's always enjoyable to put one together. I just built the one in my sig this past October and it was thoroughly awesome, especially after I saw Windows install in 10 minutes. Good times.

15+ Year Old Account
    Awesome, I think you'll be happy with it. I would at some point, though, upgrade the GPU. GTS 250 is a very much aging GPU, and with your superior CPU, you'll start to notice things. But that's something for another time.

Also, just to solidify everything I've said, take a look at the gaming benchmarks here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/t...2100-tested/20. Granted, it's not the fastest thing in anything else, as it gets thoroughly scrapped in things like video rendering and audio encoding, but in gaming, it does a number on the AMD processors, even the six core 1100 BE, and consumes less power.

Enjoy your new rig when you get it together. It's always enjoyable to put one together. I just built the one in my sig this past October and it was thoroughly awesome, especially after I saw Windows install in 10 minutes. Good times.
    Ha, definitely. I just placed the order for the mobo, psu, and 4gb ram (matched the model completely to the 2x2) - grabbed the mobo and psu while they were on sale.

Next month I should be able to finish up, grabbing the cpu and windows, and then get everything installed and up and running ^_^

Ha, definitely. I just placed the order for the mobo, psu, and 4gb ram (matched the model completely to the 2x2) - grabbed the mobo and psu while they were on sale.

Next month I should be able to finish up, grabbing the cpu and windows, and then get everything installed and up and running ^_^
    Honestly, those are the normal prices. I've never actually seen them at their MSRP, ever. Especially that PSU. It's what makes it one of the best PSUs around - outstanding quality built by Seasonic and it's highly affordable with an 80+ bronze certification - always $89.99. I honestly would have gone with it if I wasn't so hell-bent on modular.

15+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, those are the normal prices. I've never actually seen them at their MSRP, ever. Especially that PSU. It's what makes it one of the best PSUs around - outstanding quality built by Seasonic and it's highly affordable with an 80+ bronze certification - always $89.99. I honestly would have gone with it if I wasn't so hell-bent on modular.
    well, cheers to you my friend, for being constructive and objective and working with me to explain everything thoroughly and get me to the end goal I desired. The gpu will probably get updated Q4 this year or Q1 2012.

While I'm at it, any suggestions on a $100.00 or less gpu that will run sims 3 and diablo 2 without batting an eyelash? my old system is going to be migrated to a new case and made into a system for my fiance. Might as well keep her happy

No problem -- It's always best to get to the heart of the matter and go from there. No use in doing anything else, I'm also usually all business when it comes to this sort of stuff. I don't like seeing people led down the wrong path concerning PC parts and such and need to set things right :P

As far as GPUs go, the best I'd feel comfortable recommending is the ASUS ENGTS450 DirectCU/OC for $114.99 with free shipping with a $20 MIR. Up front cost isn't $100, but after the MIR, it's less... so take that how you will. There's also the GTS 250 which is $99.99, but with the GTS 450 being only $114, well, that's a no-brainer to me. Even gives DX11 support, faaaaaantastic.

Also, I noticed you said you have some Arctic Silver 5. I am vehemently against AS5, so I have to recommend you get something else (you don't have to, though.) The reason for this is, is that AS5 needs weeks to fully set and you won't even see the best temps until long after. Plus, according to AS's website, it requires some crazy shit to be applied properly, and that just doesn't fly with me. With that said, Arctic Cooling's MX-2 Thermal Compound is just win. I usually go for OCZ Freeze, but it's no longer made and that makes me sad... some of the best TIM I've ever used.

And I know how that is... once I finally get off of this dastardly unemployment and get myself a solid paycheck again, this beastly system is going to the girlfriend/soon to be fiance while I build me one that can swallow it

flooding all 4 slots with ram if u only get 8gigs (4x2gig) is useless cause u need 2 spend alot of money l8er if u wanna upgrade it l8er to 16gig
    there is no other down side in filling all slots
    just make sure u buy them in pairs off 2 and put them in the same colored slots 2 enable dual channel wich makes ur memory works faster