Formatting an internal HDD...

The goal:
    Bought a new HDD for a dell laptop, dell is pretty clever at propiotarizing their machines and making it VERY difficult to upgrade and the like without their paid consent. I purchased a new HDD for a dell laptop and it needs to be formatted, the cd/dvd internal drive is shot (apparently a known issue) and I have an external CD/DVD that the computer wont boot from to install an OS on to it.

What I have tried:
    -Running an OS disk off of both the internal and external cd/dvd drive- FAIL

The new plan:
    Ok this may sound screwey and I have no idea if it will work. I want to take the new HDD i just bought that is SATA and plug it into my tower computer (it has 4 SATA HDD slots). The tower runs Windows 7. I want to formatt the HDD using the Windows Vista disk provided by dell for my laptop, on my tower computer. Then upgrade that same HDD using a Windows 7 Upgrade disk. I want to do all of this using my tower computer NOT my laptop. Then if this should happen to work... I will have formatted my HDD for the laptop.

Does anyone know if this can actually work?

EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

I am working with a Windows 7 UPGRADE disk, and I am not sure if this will work the same way. I will give it a whirl though. Will a regular USB storage device work for this, or would it need to be like a USB HDD?