Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Rift just rocked my world...

ok so after 5.5 years of playing WoW... a new MMO has finally lived up to the hype.

dont get me wrong... i love WoW... but find it lacking as of late. Its probably me more than the game, after 5.5 years anything can get a little old.

so back to the topic... i logged into RIFT this morning (im a lvl 30 warlock, chloro, nec) and was immediately caught up in a huge zone-wide major attack... next thing you know i was in a raid... didnt have to beg to get in.. not sure how i got in... was just in... nobody was camping spawn spots so that they could Tag a baddie first... it was just a HUGE EPIC raid where everyone was working together to kill off Huge EPIC bosses... that just kept coming in waves.

i havnt had this epic experience feeling in Wow since BWL (vanilla version).

after about 30 min of defending our zone... the BIG final boss came out and started to destroy us... not until we figured out some of his tactics did we finally take him down... then to my suprise i was rewarded handsomely for my effort... no running around SW waiting for something to happen... no flashing achieves in hopes to get into a PUG raid.. just a ton of fun... and i wasnt even looking for it.

all this to say... this isnt a i hate wow post... BUT if you are looking for something new... and IMO something good.. that will just get better... you might want to tear into rift it has a ton to offer

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    The leveling process with invasions and stuff are pretty awesome in Rift.
    The invasions are still pretty awesome at level 50 if you go in as a guild and just kill all the opposing faction people + all the mobs.

Other than that, the game is pretty lacking end-game-wise.

The PvP is kind of "broken" and theres no real "goal" in it.
    The raids are nothing special and not really all that hard.
    The 5mans are nice, but you cant really PuG the harder ones and they get boring after a while.

I played for 2 months, got to 50 and got geared. Did some PvP and raiding but it all got quite boring really fast.
    I guess I might have enjoyed the PvP a bit more if I did more premades and played a Pyromancer.

Anyways, enjoy it while it lasts.

I'll prolly give the game another go in a few months depending on what they do with the end-game content.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played this game for 3 weeks before I couldn't stand it anymore, rifts get boring after you've done 50 of each kind, there are no interesting quests like wow has and the crafting SUCKS.

10+ Year Old Account
    glad to see you found some other game you like mate,

personally tho ill wait for GW2 and play it at the same time with WoW. just raiding in wow and chilling in GW2, sounds awesome on paper
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    For a fresh release game it's pretty hardcore. There are spots where I'd tweak it (Mob spawn times mostly) but that might've been WoW spoiling me. The rift events are nice (but again, maybe they could happen a little less frequently, maybe once every five hours or so.) and they bring the community together to work for a common goal... Either that or you let the rift monsters trash your hubs.

Deleted
    Do you work for Trion?

The game was great, Really enjoyed it for the first few weeks, but it just lacks substance, And you will notice this the further you progress: The Characters don't feel as tight and responsive like they do in wow.

I felt every square inch of the world has things that wanted to attack you, so no calm exploring, Low level mobs - Level 9 etc would still stun me or knock me off my mount, which made my toon feel less powerful.

The Graphics are nice the models are nice, but nothing special, The Effects In wow are miles better, Spell casting attacks etc..

The Cities are just boring, Wow have more and are 3 times the size and have more interaction, In rift 90% of NPC have nothing to say, just the same Text bubble...In wow every NPC has loads of silly sentences This add more to the immersion, which wow has in Droves and Rift has none..

Yes rift did bring some great new features, And why wouldn't they.. Like the join group which is Fantastic, that that only works with outside none instanced raids..

But as the next Gen-MMO, its didn't impress..
    Last edited by mmoc411c38c086; 2011-05-06 at 09:02 AM.

I played rift for a while, leveled up each role to 50, mained as a cleric, any spec. It was a lot of fun for a while.

Only thing I couldn't deal with was the limited content. I know its a super new game, but the endgame broke it for me. Facerolling pvp with some friends is great, doing t1/t2/raids is fun for about 3 weeks, after that, theres absolutely nothing to do. The rep grinds don't even take that long (which would be nice if there was some variety on how to get it, same zone, same dailies, etc)

Call it a whine post, and I'm sure it is, but the only thing that was exciting for me in rift was pvp, and some invasions were pretty fun in the lower level zones, where there aren't literally 3-400 level 50 people zerging the everliving crap out of anything that moves. After that, super bored. Back to wow, and having a great time still.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrno View Post
    glad to see you found some other game you like mate,

personally tho ill wait for GW2 and play it at the same time with WoW. just raiding in wow and chilling in GW2, sounds awesome on paper
    same here...cant wait for GW2 and Skyrim <3

and i also played rift...got to 47 and now i'm just too lazy to try to get to 50 : /

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    when elite invasion overtake quest hubs and u cant do anything about it,thats no longer fun
    World of Warcraft wiki
    http://wowwiki.com
    World of Warcraft database
    http://thottbot.comhttp://wowhead.comhttp://wow.allakhazam.com

I couldn't get past level 30. RIFTs were only fun the first game around, which is not very good when the whole game is based around them. The story is pretty much nonexistant.. There's a bunch of story quest at the beginning but right when you get out of the starting zone you're back to farming 10 boars for no reason at all.

I cant speak for the endgame or PvP but I hear those are pretty lackluster also.

bummer! i was hoping you would all say it kept getting better!! haha

well ill keep trying it out... maybe this next patch will help a few of the issues? i think it comes out on tuesday?

here is a question that i have about people who like rift still... when did you start playing WoW?

my buddies that im playing rift with now are all early vanilla WoW people and we think that the playstyle reminds us of the good things we liked about vanilla?

when did you guys who dislike rift start playing WoW???

(i wonder if the game is prefered by old school wow people over new school?) *edit* found a spelling error sry
    Last edited by lowlyworm; 2011-05-06 at 10:48 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lowlyworm View Post
    when did you guys who dislike rift start playine WoW???

(i wonder if the game is prefered by old school wow people over new school?)
    Personally, I started playing in Vanilla WoW. However, I still decided to go back to WoW instead of sticking with Rift.

The main problem I currently see in Rift is the extreme balance issues-- And not just in PvP. When I quit (Just shortly after the release of patch 1.1) there were Souls who were literally unable to level past a certain level, simply because they got nerfed so hard that they couldn't take quests anymore. This was very prominent Souls such as Riftblades and Bards, and it became the clearest Iron Pine Peak, where you have to fight packs of 4+ mobs from the very beginning. Considering most of the players rushed their way to level 50 at launch, the chances of being able to group up for this are minimal.
    Sure, you always have the ability to take a different Soul-- But if you're forced to do this simply to gain more levels, then Trion has gone way too far with nerfing some of their classes.

Of course, I don't know whether these severe balance issues have been fixed yet or not. But even if they have, I still hear too many bad things about its end-game to give it another try. Before I start playing it again, Rift has to expand its end-game, and prove to me that it can stand the test of time against competitors like WoW and the upcoming GW2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny. I am part of a guild that goes across multiple games, and WoW and Rift are two of them. All the WoW players that gone to Rift finished most content and are hanging out in mayor cities, being bored. Rift might be your thing, but I don't call it better than WoW in any way. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy it ofc.
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.
    Armory. WoWProgress. Might start streaming Soon(tm) http://twitch.tv/szem/

Deleted
    People don't see the problems in their posts about comparing Rift to WoW.

Rift and WoW have exactly the same problems really.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    People don't see the problems in their posts about comparing Rift to WoW.

Rift and WoW have exactly the same problems really.
    There are a lot of minor improvements RIFT has over WoW that go a long way, like the customizable UI and quad-spec, but the same core issues are pretty much the same and that's why I don't play any of them anymore.

Deleted
    Rift is a cheap rip-off WoW, that has only few interesting things in it, those being the invasions and the talent/class system.

Hold still, it would soon pass.

Novelty will wear of in about a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    the crafting SUCKS.
    So True... I abandoned crafting and made all my toons gatherers... finally made some money and level them up just by riding around. Crafts are basically rubbish since anything below level 50 you only make it when you don't need it anymore, and no one else wants it because they are grinding to 50 ASAP. Absolute rubbish. Gathering for the Plat.

I would just like to say as well that after 2 months of Rift fun I returned to Wow with fresh eyes, started a brand new toon with no connections to previous guilds or players and it feels like vanilla again... give it a try.
    5% of people think. 10% of people think they think. The other 85% of people would rather die than think.

Deleted
    The amount of money Trion pours into social marketing continues to amaze me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sant View Post
    Do you work for Trion?
    No he doesnt, he just likes a cool game Unlike the haters an Blizzard Fanbois here who just hate on a game cos it aint teh one they play.
    All the scrubs are leavin Rift to get free epixx from ZA and ZG. All the while the Rift community gets better an the devs give more content every month - just its hard so fail players leave and go back to Wow