Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hate polygonal 3D.

I dont know though, there was a really good write up on Kotaku about how the better graphics get the less immersed gamers get into games. Which seems counter intuative at first, because you would think the more realistic things become the more you would be drawn in, but the opposite is true.

The author said when games get too real, when every detail is painted on the screen then it leaves much less to the imagination, much like a book draws you in much more than a movie does.

Interesting read.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumatran View Post
    I hate how people make blanket statements.

You are trying to tell me that if you went back in time and took a HD TV, Madden 2011 and a ps3 back to 2001 people wouldnt shit thier pants with how awesome it was? That what they saw on TV was a freaking VIDEO GAME?! and not a real life game?

Comon man....

Comon.
    There be truth in them there words.

People need to face it. In this day and age, if a NEW video game comes out that has shitty graphics, it's not gonna be highly praised if at all (yes there are exceptions, but very, very few). It's a sign of the times. Technology is advancing at a very fast pace which equates to the video game industry needing to step up in the graphics department and make things look pretty. Now, I'm not saying that a game should sacrifice gameplay in order to get better graphics (sadly, some games do this very thing though).....what I'm saying is that for a game to come out nowadays and look like utter shit on my screen is completely unforgivable. NEW games need to look NEW. I think most people could agree on this yes?

I love how I love graphics. Especially the pretty graphics. I built a nice lil computer for myself and got a nice big screen so me and my kitties could sit and stare and marvel over how far we've come since the days of my childhood, playing games on windows 3.1 and dos, or whatever they made us do in gradeschool on those old apple IIs with the 5.25" floppies. I love how games continue to evolve with bigger and better graphics. I hope it never stops getting more amazing. I hope if that bothers you that it continues to piss you off forever or that you learn to love it.

I love (good) graphics btw

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Why can't we have great graphics and great gameplay?
    I personally think we do Crysis 2 for me was epic i loved every minute of the game and multiplayer and the graphics were top notch though not as good as Crysis 1 since it went to consoles too this time but it ran allot smoother than Crysis 1 It’s all about personal opinion.

OT: I love great graphics in a game I love to see developers push the boundaries of their engines etc.
    Realism for me really immerses me in a game especially FPS like Crysis etc or upcoming games like battlefield 3.
    Although games don’t HAVE to have great graphics for me to love them but it’s a great bonus if they do only thing I hate in games is Jaggies maybe it’s me being all OCD but they irritate me lol.
    Last edited by Crownos; 2011-05-06 at 07:22 PM.

@ OP
    NES Zelda > everything else
    not because of graphics, definitly not - the game was just awesome!
    Give me content, a good story and gameplay that is fun and I'll take that over graphics anyday.

if everyone thought alike, right now we will keep playing atari ¬¬
    graphics evolution IS IMPORTANT!!! wow is a evolution from a lot of previous games, so stop the nonsense.

try portal 2 btw

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumatran View Post
    I dont know though, there was a really good write up on Kotaku about how the better graphics get the less immersed gamers get into games. Which seems counter intuative at first, because you would think the more realistic things become the more you would be drawn in, but the opposite is true.

The author said when games get too real, when every detail is painted on the screen then it leaves much less to the imagination, much like a book draws you in much more than a movie does.

Interesting read.
    This maybe for some people but from my experience I’ve become more and more engrossed and immersed into games as there graphics have improved and I will continue to do so. Not saying what the guy said was wrong in what he says but I don’t thing that accounts for everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate "graphic whores". I have a friend that rages EVERY time he sees that I'm playing something without maximizing EVERY option in the video setting menu.

In this day and age, if a NEW video game comes out that has shitty graphics, it's not gonna be highly praised if at all...
    And that's a bad thing, not a good one.

EDIT: of course, we shouldn't confound "not carrying about graphics" with nostalgia. It's NOT ok to release games in 2011 with NES graphics...
    Last edited by Hraklea; 2011-05-06 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    I hate "graphic whores". I have a friend that rages EVERY time he sees that I'm playing something without maximizing EVERY option in the video setting menu.

And that's a bad thing, not a good one.

EDIT: of course, we shouldn't confound "not carrying about graphics" with nostalgia. It's NOT ok to release games in 2011 with NES graphics...
    I also hate crappy indie games

If I wanted to play a game that looked like it would play on my SNES, I wouldnt have bought a ps3, or spend a grand on my pc setup. I wouldve kept, my 15 year old, damn SNES.

Graphics are nice, good eye candy adds to an experience as well as atmosphere.
    But its been like 6 years since they have had a drastic change (aka consoles come about), unlike the change from 95-2004.

Who doesn't like pretty graphics? The first thing you see when a new game is being announced are the graphics. Screenshots/short videos.

I know graphics are a draw for me. I play older games all the time, but I enjoy playing games with pretty, stylized graphics (I'm not as much of a fan of the photo realistic graphics games shoot for nowadays). For example, even though FF XIV is terrible, I still think it has amazing graphics and have been tempted to try it out. Then I go back through my collection of games and play through something like Super Mario RPG or Tron 2.0 (I actually loved the game) and enjoy them despite them having "trash" graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Who doesn't like pretty graphics? The first thing you see when a new game is being announced are the graphics. Screenshots/short videos.

I know graphics are a draw for me. I play older games all the time, but I enjoy playing games with pretty, stylized graphics (I'm not as much of a fan of the photo realistic graphics games shoot for nowadays). For example, even though FF XIV is terrible, I still think it has amazing graphics and have been tempted to try it out. Then I go back through my collection of games and play through something like Super Mario RPG or Tron 2.0 (I actually loved the game) and enjoy them despite them having "trash" graphics.
    Exactly. OP and some of the people in here sound like they're saying if we were walking through a mall or something and someone was like, "damn, that girl is fine, I'd love to fuck the shit out of her..." they'd be like, "oh whatever she might have a terrible personality". You figure that stuff out afterward!

How would you feel if they remade some of the good older games? No change to gameplay or the story or anything. Just updated the graphics. Would you buy them?

although graphics do make a difference, WoW is fine the way it is

I love visually pleasing games with good graphics... however if that takes away from gameplay and/or story it's not worth it imo.

Deleted
    One word : Minecraft.

10+ Year Old Account
    Graphics are important to cater new people, who do not yet know what the game is like. A game that has antique graphics is likely to not cater many new player, a game that does have great graphics however does cater a lot of people.

For me graphics are of no huge importance to a game because my computer can't handle it and I think game play is way more important. For example Starcraft 2 I can only play at medium level max, which means the graphics are pretty fucked up. But I still love the game no matter the graphics, I would like however to be able to play at maximum graphic settings it's just that I do not have the computer for it.

TL;DR Game play is most important, graphics are merely there to cater new players and to be nice for the eye. (Just like you want a partner that is nice looking in addition to a nice personality?)

10+ Year Old Account
    I play games for graphics, I also play games for story / content.

Crysis was a lot of fun to play trying to push my system (as a system builder) was really neat to see how realistic everything was.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love a lot of old games with lower-quality graphics. These graphics are not however what I would call "bad". Bad graphics are things that don't move properly, where there is a lot of clipping, where there are simply things done poorly.

I expect modern games to have better quality graphics because it's so much more reasonable an expectation. By good, this generally includes the following: Higher poly count, larger resolution textures, more environment detail, and of course, themeatically fitting.

One of my fav older games is Total Annihilation, old blocky graphics, but an AWESOME game. Games don't need to have the greatest graphics known to man in order to be good, and assuming that's all gamers care about is just plain dumb. But expecting gamers not to care about graphics quality in an era when it's so much easier to create high-quality graphics is just silly.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.