How to wipe and re-do?

So my computer is running pretty slow and I think it's time for a complete wipe and re-install of the programs I use. I'm wondering how to do this without a windows cd? I have a cd key on my computer but no cd itself. Any suggestions?

< Good try, won't work though. Pirating = bad. >
    Last edited by llDemonll; 2011-05-10 at 07:06 PM.

Deleted
    Have you got a hidden partition with the windows installation files on your hdd?

Quote Originally Posted by snakecatcher View Post
    Have you got a hidden partition with the windows installation files on your hdd?
    Not sure what that is >.>

Deleted
    Some pc manufactures put the windows files from the cd/dvd on a hidden section on the hard drive which can be accessed by a floppy or cd/dvd to restory factory settings.

If you havnt got a hidden partition then i'd just dl the iso image of the version of windows your key is for.

15+ Year Old Account
    You will need a disk from the manufacturer. Downloading a copy of Windows won't do you any good in this case because you CD key isn't tied to a retail copy, but rather an OEM manufacturer copy.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    You will need a disk from the manufacturer. Downloading a copy of Windows won't do you any good in this case because you CD key isn't tied to a retail copy, but rather an OEM manufacturer copy.
    Depends on the Windows version he has.
    For WindowsXP there existed such keys, that were only usable with certain OEM versions. But afaik, this was prohibited pretty fast by some courts. So his chances are pretty good, that he only needs get hold of an appropriate install disc (XP/Vista/7 and 32/64bit) and use it with the key on his computer. The discs themself are universal, unless they are specifically tailored to a product. Look for the phrase "Recovery Disc" on the medium. If it is present, then it might be product-line branded.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

You could also try cleaning things up.

Use Revo Uninstaller to clear out any programs that you don't use or want. Moderate Mode.

Use CCleaner, first in cleaner mode.

Back up your registry and run CCleaner in Registry mode.

Now that you've cleaned things up, run Disk Defragmenter. You can also use a 3rd party defrag tool like Defraggler to do this.

CCleaner and Defraggler are freeware and can be DL'd from FileHippo.com. Revo Uninstaller has a free version that can be DL'd from revouninstaller.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post
    Depends on the Windows version he has.
    For WindowsXP there existed such keys, that were only usable with certain OEM versions. But afaik, this was prohibited pretty fast by some courts. So his chances are pretty good, that he only needs get hold of an appropriate install disc (XP/Vista/7 and 32/64bit) and use it with the key on his computer. The discs themself are universal, unless they are specifically tailored to a product. Look for the phrase "Recovery Disc" on the medium. If it is present, then it might be product-line branded.
    I have to agree with this guy. Also Demon you chopped my post out, which is quite odd. While I agree pirating is bad, it can be good in the sense that one is able to download a version of windows and use your own product key, which is the case here. Seems morally right to me!

I know it works as I have downloaded it before and used the product key which was on the side of the laptop. In addition, I have read that it is legal to download windows, if you use your own product key. Although, I am not 100% sure if this is the case.

Deleted
    As soon they give a decent price for a Windows, I'l support buying it. Only reason I buy it is becuase I can get it cheaper than normal people. If i'd have to pay full price I'd just pirate it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    As soon they give a decent price for a Windows, I'l support buying it. Only reason I buy it is becuase I can get it cheaper than normal people. If i'd have to pay full price I'd just pirate it.
    $100 isn't a decent price? If you're in school, it's far cheaper. I have most all my MS software that I got for free through the MSDN while I was at college.

Better than paying a hefty premium for Mac, but that's a different topic.

@OP What OS and type of computer do you have? Dell, HP, Gateway, etc.?
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right