Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

I think I killed my computer.

Here's the scenario: My 2GB of ram arrived in the mail today, and when I put it in the computer (it fit perfectly), trying to turn it on resulted in no boot up and just beeps from the motherboard, did I kill my computer?

15+ Year Old Account
    Take it out and try booting

Quote Originally Posted by Team Frosty View Post
    Here's the scenario: My 2GB of ram arrived in the mail today, and when I put it in the computer (it fit perfectly), trying to turn it on resulted in no boot up and just beeps from the motherboard, did I kill my computer?
    ram is probably dead.. pull it out and put the old stuff back in.. or you got the wrong type for your mobo...

Deleted
    This is most likely a RAM seating problem, Try first checking to see if the RAM is placed correctly, Some RAM need to be placed in pairs to make sure if you e.g have 4 ram slots make sure one is in slot 1 and one is in slot 3 (2 & 4 ) respectively. If that isn't the problem, remove the Ram and Put it back in. After you've tried this if it is still not working post back on this thread please.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    The slot for the RAM in motherboard might be damaged too. Try switching the RAM to another slot.

Also is the RAM you ordered DDR, DDR2 or DDR3 and what kind of RAM is the old RAM you are using?

If it is DDR3 check if you have i7 processor with LGA 1366 socket. It might be three channeled which requires that you use 3xDDR3 RAM.
    Last edited by Duulis; 2011-05-07 at 10:29 PM.

That "beeping" is the MoBo's way of telling you what's wrong. It's called a POST code.

Look up your comp's MoBo and then find out what that manufacturer's post codes are. But most likely your MoBo is telling you it's having a memory error. It might be a seating issue, might be wrong type of RAM, might be bad RAM.

How much research did you do before just cracking open your comp and slapping a new card in? It sounds like you were rather reckless here...

2 beeps = memory problem

u can have a few things wrong here:
    a) memory is not installed correctly
    b) memory is bad
    c) memory is incompatible with Motherboard

there can be more, but thats the most common ones, and the only few ones i can think off the top of my head

Deleted
    You know, you can get in jail for murder right?

On a serious note, listen to the poster above me ^

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    i took out the ram and it still does the same thing,, it is ddr3, hp s53055z

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbi190 View Post
    2 beeps = memory problem

u can have a few things wrong here:
    a) memory is not installed correctly
    b) memory is bad
    c) memory is incompatible with Motherboard

there can be more, but thats the most common ones, and the only few ones i can think off the top of my head
    You know that BIOS beeps aren't the same with all motherboard manufacturers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duulis View Post
    But in 8/10 times, it is.

Is it just one stick of RAM?

right, whoops, forgot that, i should have gone to bed about 4 hours ago, but i cant be bothered with sleep

but as far as i've seen, memory problems is most commonly 2 beeps, but its been a while since i handled any "new" equipment aside from my own craptop :P

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karatepelle View Post
    But in 8/10 times, it is.
    The hell it ain't. There are many BIOSes where the beeping system is completely different, like Phoenix which gives out 3 sequences of beeps, like 1-1-1 for certain error and 1-4-2 for another.

Deleted
    Exactly, but how many "ordinary" people do you think buys "shit" like that?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly, but how many "ordinary" people do you think buys "shit" like that?
    What exactly is wrong with Phoenix BIOS?

Also a in Intels BIOSes two beeps mean graphics card or cpu error. You have been proven wrong here already so let's stick to the topic in hand shall we?

So we know what the ram is. Still isn't going to tell us if it's even going to work in your computer.

EDIT: Googled the name of the ram you gave me and got nothing...

What type of RAM is it? (800/1033/1333/1600 etc) and what MoBo do you have?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    What exactly is "hp s53055z"? Google doesn't find anything when I search with that.

Also the fact that even after taking out the ram it does the same thing is usually a rather bad sign. Check for any burn marks in the RAM chip and the RAM slot in the motherboard. If there is some, you have fried your motherboard :/

Deleted
    What exactly is wrong with Phoenix BIOS?

Also a in Intels BIOSes two beeps mean graphics card or cpu error. You have been proven wrong here already so let's stick to the topic in hand shall we?
    Okay seems like you don't get the point, so i'll just stop here.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Okay seems like you don't get the point, so i'll just stop here.
    Oh sorry I sure missed it if you really said something else in your posts that 8/10 BIOSes beep two times for memory error and that Phoenix's BIOSes are shit.

Damn Finnish people don't like losing in anything.