High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Change to Eclipse Meter in 4.1?

Playing my dps spec (Boomkin of course) for the first time since the patch yesterday I noticed that every time I died (and we were in bad ZG so I died A LOT), my eclipse bar would be reset back to zero, pointing towards the right (lunar eclipse I believe I still get them mixed up). Before, unless you changed specs your eclipse bar would always stay where you left it, even relogging I believe. If you died or logged off with say, 40 solar energy, you would come back to 40 solar energy. It was really annoying to have to rebuild up and get in the groove of eclipsing in that run. I haven't read any changes to it was this an intended change and how are other people liking/disliking it?

It has always been that way.. Even before 4.1

It has been that way for quite a while now, was fixed in the first couple of patches post cata release - and every moonkin knew it was coming.

It is way better this way. Sure - you could enter a raid 1 cast short of an eclipse and get stuck right in - but in reality, it was more of a hindrance. Especially if you have a bit of gear, u are going to be pulling left right and centre if you start multi-dotting at the beginning of a trash pull while in eclipse. The same goes for bosses - prepot, one cast then eclipse (or maybe starting in eclipse) a couple more casts and your trinks/cape enchant has procced, you've used your troll beserking/glove enchant, moonkin frenzy has procced, maybe even an insta-starsurge and the 1-2% hit chance 10-20 expertise zero vengance tank with a misdirect whose threat falls off is going to be fighting tooth and nail to hold on to aggro, causing you to pull back or die, not maximising the eclipse.

When you die, re-spec or enter an instance, it will reset your power. After dying and re-specing (probably entering an instance too) you can also choose which way to go first, with starsurge pushing you to solar if you are not already moving in a direction. Further, if you haven't yet hit an eclipse, you can change your mind and go back the other way.

All of these changes were needed, expected and implemented a long time ago. It certainly makes planning and controlling eclipses for boss fights possible. For H Maloriak - if you do a cast or maybe 2 towards solar and change back to lunar, by the time you the adds are spawned and the tank has some threat on them, you should be entering solar and should be able to start insect swarm dotting (4pc T10) straight up before shrooming and typhooning. This is going to be even more crucial if the proposed PTR changes are applied (IS +SF/MF generate wrath/starfire amounts of solar/lunar energy per cast) as we are going to have less control over eclipse phases (at least without massive dips to dps) due to having to avoid casting anything that is buffed by that eclipse.