10+ Year Old Account

Computer causing router to disconnect?

I have a newer laptop with a standard wireless card. I have a PK 5000 Qwest router (From ISP). It seems to Disconnect from the internet a lot. I have called and called and called, and the best they can say is that well send you a new router. Every time i get a new router the same issue does occur. I feel when ever i play WoW or wanna play it disconnects even more often. I am a pretty computer savvy person, not the best with internet issues ill admit. I have tried everything i can. I am pretty sure we have a DSL connection (12MBs is what im paying for)

This is an image of a Speed test at Www.Speedtest.net

I was wondering if anyone had any tips or a possible fix.

To describe the lights on the router:
    Power: Green
    DSL: Green
    Internet: Green
    Wireless: Green

When the internet disconnects it will look like this:
    Power: Green
    DSL: Green
    Internet : "No light/color"
    Wireless: Green

I hope someone can help or give tips, thanks a lot in advance!
    ~Wrak

**Update** my internet was fine for about 30 min, then i played WoW and i D/C after maybe 15min, and now i am D/Cing every 5 min.
    Last edited by Wrak; 2011-05-08 at 08:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    is it your router or your modem, they are two separate things

The PK 5000 is both modem and router.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Its both. I just cannot find out why it is Disconnecting so often

You haven't said what you do to make it work again after it disconnects. Do you have to power it off and on, does it do it on its own, etc?

Also, do you have other computers that do this? Is it only wireless?
    If it's only wireless: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r238...tency~start=20
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrak View Post
    typical qwest bs to setup a customer with something like that

to the OP, call qwest, and ask for just a modem, no combos, you need a new one anyway, then go to best buy and purchase a wireless router, preferable a netgear, or d-link, the new cysco ones that look like a black UFO aren't very good

Quote Originally Posted by Wrak View Post
    It might be a bad PCI slot, ethernet port, or whatever. Had the same problem then found out the port on my Mobo was bad. Had to get a new one..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    typical qwest bs to setup a customer with something like that

to the OP, call qwest, and ask for just a modem, no combos, you need a new one anyway, then go to best buy and purchase a wireless router, preferable a netgear, or d-link, the new cysco ones that look like a black UFO aren't very good
    Hopefully they let him, though they should. Sometimes they won't let you do it. Comcast business is like that, they damn near require you to use their gateway device. Which if you happen to choose to use static IPs(costs more) You HAVE to use it, but it works fine that way. But if you use dynamic addressing, it has to do NAT, and it is utter CRAP when having to do NAT. I fought tooth and nail to get them to let me use my SB6120.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright well its good to know that it is not just me that has had this issue. Can anyone make a decent suggestion for a wireless router for under 100$ i have Bestbuy, Radioshack(Work there), microcenter by my house. Thanks a lot again for the responses.

I hate you for having a Microcenter so close Closest one to me is Denver, an hour drive... and I don't drive :/

10+ Year Old Account
    look for something with wireless G or even better wireless N
    avoid the cysco/linksys black UFO shaped ones, a simple netgear or d-link will work great

if you can find an older Cysco Linksys WRT54g they are very good and last years, they are purple and dark grey

---------- Post added 2011-05-08 at 03:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    I hate you for having a Microcenter so close Closest one to me is Denver, an hour drive... and I don't drive :/
    rofl, that one is 5 minutes away from me, i live in aurora