Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

[Netflix] Rebel Moon

Looks damn impressive.
    I just hope that the script matches how it appears.

Honestly? It just looks like every science fantasy trope and cliched dialogue mashed into one trailer.

But trailers can be deceptive, so let's see how it pans out in 4 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Looks damn impressive.
    Does it, though?

This looks like Star Wars by any other name. Fuck they have red glowing swords, even. I'm not sure I'm ready for another generic evil autocratic empire vs. rebels led by a chosen one space opera.

I mean I'll watch it because it'll be part of my job, but man am I not looking forward to being massively disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Does it, though?

This looks like Star Wars by any other name. Fuck they have red glowing swords, even. I'm not sure I'm ready for another generic evil autocratic empire vs. rebels led by a chosen one space opera.

I mean I'll watch it because it'll be part of my job, but man am I not looking forward to being massively disappointed.
    If it fails both in terms of views/critics, I'm pretty sure that is Snyder done. No one is going to touch him with a barge pole.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    If it fails both in terms of views/critics, I'm pretty sure that is Snyder done. No one is going to touch him with a barge pole.
    The people who wrote GoT S8 are happily employed. Hollywood cares about who you know and who you blow, writing/directing ability is an ancillary afterthought it seems.

The people who wrote GoT S8 are happily employed. Hollywood cares about who you know and who you blow, writing/directing ability is an ancillary afterthought it seems.
    Yeah, I agree with that. But I wonder if studios start to clock onto how expensive it is to work with Snyder and how little ROI there is.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Does it, though?

That's because it was built out of a rejected Star Wars script. Snyder pitched a Star Wars film to Lucasfilm and they passed on it.

https://screenrant.com/rebel-moon-mo...film-response/

"It was Seven Samurai in space. And a Star Wars movie was my original concept for it. I knew that the origins for George were a lot of those Kurosawa films. I was a big Kurosawa fan, so it made sense as a concept. A really simple story. Kind of clean. Good versus evil."
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

The Star Wars people thought this wasn't a good idea, but he thought fuck it I'll do it myself with blackjack and hookers? xD

The people who made the new trilogy... thought this wasn't a good idea. Hooooo boi.

The people who made the new trilogy... thought this wasn't a good idea. Hooooo boi.
    Sounds more like a recommendation. After all their "good ideas" weren't...at all.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Sounds more like a recommendation. After all their "good ideas" weren't...at all.
    Well, there was Rogue One. And Solo could have been good, just had terrible development and worse marketing.

Just watching the trailer for Rebel Moon, it is 100% clear to anyone who has any understanding of movies that there are a lot of inspirations in it. I am just hoping it isn't Eragon 2.0 where it is essentially just the story we all know in a different setting.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    I am just hoping it isn't Eragon 2.0 where it is essentially just the story we all know in a different setting.
    And nothing in the trailer makes me think it's anything BUT that. It's as generic as it gets, with zero hints at anything even remotely original.

Looks rather generic actually...

Yeah, I think im with the majority here...it doesn't look terrible...but I'm not seeing anything all that impressive either. I mean, the one thing Snyder is really good at is capturing an aesthetic...and even so this looks less impressive than, well, as another example:

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    and even so this looks less impressive than, well, as another example:
    Oof, don't remind me... what a fucking train wreck of a film, what a steaming, incoherent pile of squandered ideas.

Who allowed this man to write? He can do the visual stuff fine enough. Letting him have a camera is okay. Letting him have pen and paper is a disaster waiting to happen.

10+ Year Old Account

Looks damn impressive.
    I just hope that the script matches how it appears.
    Yeah... Zack Synder just happens to be a worse writer than he is a director. If it wasnt for his shitty color palette he would be a heckuva cinematogapher.

• One or more protagonists will be avenging Martha.
    • Slow motion bullet casings.
    • Slow motion action with sudden speed ups.
    • Falling on your knees and screaming into the camera.

Those panning flag shots. Shows some growth by borrowing from Micheal Bay's favorite tropes.
    Government Affiliated Snark

7+ Year Old Account
    Meh, i don't know, its basically uniting star wars and medieval fantasy bs with kings and mythical creatures like the gryphon

Honestly, there is a lot of eye-rolling stuff from the trailer and from the dialogues, using bad cliche tropes, the only part that rly got me interested was the dude with the black gryphon, but i know the show will be about something else, so meh.

I will give a try because its something independent and new (well as new as can be, since it clearly a star wars thing) and its not fucking up established ips/franchises.

Its either amazing or pure garbage

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    I am just hoping it isn't Eragon 2.0 where it is essentially just the story we all know in a different setting.
    Eragon at least gets different after the first book

How many different IPs can be ripped off at the same time? Holy crap.

Feels like they're trying to cram as many cliche fantasy, space opera, post apocalyptic, chosen one tropes into one series as they can.

15+ Year Old Account
    Looks like a kid just dumping all the action figures in their toy chest into a pile and playing with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im willing to give it a chance. Not much dumb pew pew sci-fi if you dont count superhero and SW stuff.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

If I had a nickel for every time I've seen someone fondle wheat in a trailer....