These CPU + Graphics.. bad? good? How will they do?

So i am browsing PC's .. Ive been saving up for a few weeks to get a Prebuilt. I am almost at the mark where i can finally buy 1, So i am just getting some information on some before i do make the purchase

ANNYYWWAAYS. I am looking at 2 PC's, 1 has a good processor but a sorta weak Graphics card, Other has a not so good processor (i think) but a good graphics, (i think again =p)

Anyways here they are

the good processor + not so good G-card is a, Intel Core i7 2600 GTS 450, 4g of ram

the not so good processor but decent card is, Intel Core i5 2400, GTX 550 Ti, 8g of ram

The price of these 2 are not much of a difference, But what i am wondering is how will 1 compare to the other?

This is what i do, I just play games and regular internet use like FB / youtube, CoDs battlefields, WoW, When i play my games i play on the lowest settings, also set my desktop on the lowest settings to improve performance.. So the "awesome graphics / FPS with high settings" Does not really affect me because i just play on the minimum

But yea these compared to eachother, Which is better? and why.. Idk really what the processor is for but i was told its technically the "Brain" of the PC but im guessing the I7 is better then the i5 correct?

15+ Year Old Account
    can you link the place you're purchasing from, and your budget

the 2nd comp overall is better

Neither video cards are good, I wouldn't even say decent. i7 2600 is nigh useless for gaming, and an i5 2400 is just weird :P

Where are you buying from? I wouldn't buy either of those and would try to customize it as best as possible.

What's your budget?

To be completely honest about the graphics cards, both are bad. Out of the two, I'd go with the GTS 450, it's much better priced for the performance it gives, where as the GTX 550 Ti is overpriced and is out-performed by three-generation old hardware.
    Last edited by Cantii; 2011-05-10 at 03:31 AM.

they are from Newegg

So the graphics cards are not good? like i wont be able to play games at all with these PC's your saying?

You'll still be able to play games on high settings. But for price-wise, the GTS 450 is older and still nearly out-performs the newer, more expensive GTX 550 Ti.

Well, anyway, what's you're overall budget? $800? $900? $1000? More? =V
    Last edited by Cantii; 2011-05-10 at 03:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    More like, we have no idea how much either system costs, but they both sound like ripoffs.

Look for one with an i3 2100 & a 560TI.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    You'll still be able to play games on high settings. But for price-wise, the GTS 450 is older and still nearly out-performs the newer, more expensive GTX 550 Ti.
    I built a computer for a co-worker and used the 450. he can run every game he wants to play on max settings. great card no complains at all.

Quote Originally Posted by bergmann620 View Post
    More like, we have no idea how much either system costs, but they both sound like ripoffs.

Look for one with an i3 2100 & a 560TI.
    Any pre-built with an i3 2100 won't have a discrete GPU, it'll be using the i3's GPU, unless you go to Cyberpower or something and get an H67 pre-built.

Quote Originally Posted by lcarnegie View Post
    I built a computer for a co-worker and used the 450. he can run every game he wants to play on max settings. great card no complains at all.
    I doubt he's playing the most modern of games then; or he has a different definition of "smooth gameplay". The GTS450 is about the speed of a 9800GT/GTX, and I know my old card even choked on WoW when I turned AA past 2x at 1680x1050.

If you can find a computer with an i3-2xxx or i5-2xxx, you can get away with just upgrading the video card and maybe power supply, far easier than piecing the whole thing together yourself if that's the reason for buying pre-built stuff. The vast majority of computers that are marketed as "gaming computers" combine a decent processor with a joke of a video card for the price you pay for them.
    Super casual.

Well, I found the two PCs you were looking at on Newegg and would I be wrong to assume your budget is $800-900? If not, then maybe this will be better for you:

Judging by your posts, you don't seem like you're all that much interested in overclocking, so that will save a bunch of money right there. Here's what I got from CyberPowerPC:

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1D7R5N - $838 including Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Case: Zalman Z9 Plus Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Side Panel Window
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-2100 3.10 GHz 3M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155
    Cooling Fan: Intel LGA1156 Certified CPU Fan & Heatsink (stock)
    Motherboard: [CrossFireX] Asus P8P67-M Intel P67 Chipset DDR3 mATX Mainboard w/ UEFI, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2x SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe x1 & 1 PCI [B3 Stepping]
    - P67 motherboard in case you want to upgrade to a better CPU and overclock. If not, the ASUS P8H67-M will do just fine.
    Memory: 4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module
    Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card
    Power Supply Upgrade: * 650 Watts - Thermaltake TR2 RX Modular 80 Plus PSU - PN: TRX-650M
    Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD - It's only $6 more for the SATA-III 1TB HDD... why not?
    Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
    Keyboard: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
    Mouse: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
    Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)
    Service: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

This will run everything on high at 1920x1080 pretty handily, and is overall superior to the two computers you were looking at before and only costs a little bit more.
    Last edited by Cantii; 2011-05-10 at 04:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    I doubt he's playing the most modern of games then; or he has a different definition of "smooth gameplay". The GTS450 is about the speed of a 9800GT/GTX, and I know my old card even choked on WoW when I turned AA past 2x at 1680x1050.

If you can find a computer with an i3-2xxx or i5-2xxx, you can get away with just upgrading the video card and maybe power supply, far easier than piecing the whole thing together yourself if that's the reason for buying pre-built stuff. The vast majority of computers that are marketed as "gaming computers" combine a decent processor with a joke of a video card for the price you pay for them.
    of course not. im not talking about crysis 2 or anything absurd. this is a person with no computer knowledge and just likes to play games. aka mass effect 2, dragon age 2, lotro, wow, etc. My mistake I didn't mean the gts I meant the 460 Fermi Hawk I installed for him.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The GTS 450 and GTX 550 Ti that they're trying to push with those two setups.... that makes me sad. Someone isn't going to post on forums and just buy and be unhappy soon enough, especially if they think they'll be playing any new game at max settings. =S
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, I'm only running a Gts 450 because it was $80 on newegg and I needed something not integrated till I had the money to upgrade.
    While it does ok in most games on med-high depending on the age of the game I would def recommend a better card if you are buying a new pc.
    It will be a lot better and you wont need to upgrade sooner then later, I plan on upgrading mine this summer.

I also wouldn't suggest a pre-built from newegg, they usually don't have good pre-built's I've noticed

I would take a look at Cyberpower or Ibuypower (like Cantii's link)

Quote Originally Posted by lcarnegie View Post
    of course not. im not talking about crysis 2 or anything absurd. this is a person with no computer knowledge and just likes to play games. aka mass effect 2, dragon age 2, lotro, wow, etc. My mistake I didn't mean the gts I meant the 460 Fermi Hawk I installed for him.
    Ahh, that's more like it. The GTX460 is in many cases about twice the speed of the GTS 450 .
    Super casual.

Deleted
    I doubt he's playing the most modern of games then; or he has a different definition of "smooth gameplay". The GTS450 is about the speed of a 9800GT/GTX, and I know my old card even choked on WoW when I turned AA past 2x at 1680x1050
    How can the GTS 450 be the speed of a 9800GT if a GTS 450 is better than a 9800GTX+ (GTS 250)?

A 20% memory bandwidth drop and a 50% texture fill rate drop will do that to you.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...50,2734-7.html

In DX11 games the GTS450 is better due to more efficient code paths, so yes, in the near future it'll be a better card. With the majority of titles out there being DX10 or even DX9 stuff, the GTS250 is actually better from a raw GPU horsepower point of view.

Basically, any time you can use DX11 natively, the GTS450 pulls ahead, but then both cards are slow enough that you might as well get a 460/560.
    Super casual.