Thread: Fitness. Do it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sooo, how do you eat, sleep, commute, work, play wow AND exercise in 24 hours?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ano View Post
    Sooo, how do you eat, sleep, commute, work, play wow AND exercise in 24 hours?
    Cutting 30-60 minutes from playing.
    Easy Peasy.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Discipline priests we heard you like shields that heal, so we put shield in your shield so you can heal while you heal.
    For the first half of geological time our ancestors were bacteria. Most creatures still are bacteria, and each one of our trillions of cells is a colony of bacteria.
    Richard Dawkins

Going to the Gym or outdoor exercising can be really boring if you are doing it alone.
    This is why, from personal experience, that I recommend trying to gather 1 or 2 friends, 1 is optimal for less distraction, and go exercise for a hour or two.

I used to go to the gym with a friend and its impressive how good you feel physically and mentally when you exercise and your body feels in shape. I also had a look at some Savat and took some lessons.

10+ Year Old Account
    NightBliss: You're right-- getting a partner can always help with the morale of training. A partner can not only be an asset to you on the physical side but also the mental side (as in you push/pull info and advice from each other). Many people who I have befriended IRL always want me to train with them because it boosts their morale. Often times I train/lift alone because many of my buddies don't want to do ( but honestly it's because I'm very self-motivating when it comes towards any goals i have in life). If you're training solo, or with a partner, you're still doing it and you're making it happen for yourself and for others (thats awesome).

Ano: Well sometimes you cant do it all in one day (sometimes you can). I only game for 1-2 hours daily, or 1-2 every other day. I go to school (finishing up next semester and going the USAF after getting my BA), I have a 30 hour week job, and I have a GF (granted, she works out too). It's a balancing act; no doubt about it. For instance, I'll go run into town for Breakfast, play WOW (1-2 hours til food digest), Lift for 2 hours, maybe go to work if I have work/work on academic assignments. I think what I'm saying is you cant change/do all in one day. It takes time to see where you can modify your other dealings in life around working out. Hopefully that helps.

iDreamerr: Regardless of how ill you may have fallen, despite the weight gain and the insecurity that came with that, you're still choosing to go and transform what you have into something better. The harder things in life are done the least, but provide the most. You have the strength like all men/women to survive and improve. It takes time, but you will win. You would know that like any martial art of sport, that its a marathon and not a sprint towards long-term success. I know it may be painful/hard at first but wait til some 3rd party tells "Hey wow you're slimming down/ Oh my you're looking great-- what have you been doing" (cause it will happen if you strive for it--happens to me all the time). Don't get caught up in the speedbumps of life, because if you mentally believe you can do it, your body will find a way to make it happen for you.

If you guys go to my web page, you can see the progress I've made (next month it'll be 2 years since I started training) hopefully anyone can use it as a reference point to let them know that training is a lifestyle. Just like in WOW, you have to be knowledgable, determined to succeed, patience and passion are big element. (all that kinda stuff)
    Last edited by XeroDivide; 2011-05-12 at 02:57 PM.

People who goes to gyms are just wierd, okay if you live in big cities away from parks I can see a point, where I live we got perfect enviourment for a run, some biking etc.

Why any would pay like alot money to be inn some room with other sweaty people is.. wow why, you can just go for a run or buy some 5-10 Kilo's weigths and start saving from day 1# without having to go all the way to the gym.

Odd rant I know, but I really dont get the point in fitness/gym's. Maybe its the social-part people are attracted to?

Why would it concern me if other people are unhealthy? As long as they are happy doing it, they can eat what ever they want and live from their bed for all that I care.

Reading the OP; is her/his motive for wanting this 'minority' to change, that he doesn't want to get judged by others? Or that s/he is afraid to admit to gaming in fear of getting a bad reputation based on a stereo-type?

No. If your motives are pure, you have to encourage them and explain all of it's advantages.

GTFO im not going to a gym. I do however live a failry healthy lifestyle. Be it eating very well (I'm having a yogurt and an apple for a snack at work right now) or be it the fact I go for a jog every evening and most mornings. I'm really not interested in lifting heavy objects over and over again.. and paying someone else to allow me to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorgen View Post
    GTFO im not going to a gym. I do however live a failry healthy lifestyle. Be it eating very well (I'm having a yogurt and an apple for a snack at work right now) or be it the fact I go for a jog every evening and most mornings. I'm really not interested in lifting heavy objects over and over again.. and paying someone else to allow me to do it.
    Then he isn't directing his message to you, ar eyou dumb?
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Deleted
    I already do it.

No thanks, I don't want to go to a gym I see no point in doing so.

Tbh all I hear from the OP is: " I like to work out therefore you should to."

Deleted
    I agreee.

but I got bored after doing it for over one year. Only do it if you really feel you are up to or don't.

There are a few important steps between WoW sloth and gym rat. I don't think OP is saying you have to go from one extreme to the other.

WoW is pretty addicting, you can easily realize 5 hours later that you've been sitting in one position all day. That kind of sedentary lifestyle is really horrible for your health. You don't have to be a gym rat, but at the minimum it's important to very frequently take short breaks and move around for a couple minutes.

You can make up for that lack of exercise elsewhere in your life, without going to a gym. Walk whenever you can, take on a physically demanding hobby, play a sport with some friends or your kids. It has to be something that you enjoy, or you won't keep it up.

It's definitely a lifestyle change. It's more comfortable to not do that and just play games instead. In the end, though, people that are in good shape just feel better. Anecdotally, I can agree; I definitely have more energy and am in better spirits overall when I'm active.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Health Risks Linked to Fitness Centers

Overview
    Exercise is an integral part of staying healthy and helping stave off disease. In fact, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that all adults get at least 150 minutes of exercise every week. One of the main resources for achieving this goal are fitness centers and gyms across the country. Although the benefits of fitness centers are great, there are certain health risks associated with the facility that you should be aware of while working out.

Overuse Injuries
    Overuse injuries largely include sprains and strains that occur due to pushing the ligaments, muscles or tendons farther than they can handle. Some of the most common areas where these injuries occur is around the joints including the ankles, knees, back, shoulders, wrists and neck.

Equipment
    The equipment in a fitness center may also expose you to health risks through either malfunction of the equipment or misuse of the equipment. For example, equipment that is not kept up, broken or is close to breaking can cause serious injuries. Using fitness center equipment incorrectly, such as performing heavy lifts without a spotter or not following instructions for proper use, can also result in injury.

Fungus
    Fungus is another health concern that can be found in most fitness centers and gyms, especially in the locker rooms and showers of the facility. Some of the more common fungi that can plague fitness centers include Tinea pedis, the fungus responsible for athlete's foot and Tinea corporis, the fungus responsible for ringworm. Infection risks are higher for those who walk barefoot in the locker room and showers.

Bacteria
    Along with fungus, bacteria also often find a home in fitness centers. One of the largest and potentially most harmful concerns for bacteria is Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, more commonly referred to as MRSA. MRSA is a strain of staph bacteria that can be spread through contact on shared sports equipment, suggests the National Institutes of Health, such as weights, ellipticals and treadmills. Infections are more common if you have open sores on your hands or feet. To combat possible infection, most gyms have antiseptic sprays and paper towels available to disinfect equipment before and after each use.
    Source

Dunno why everybody is always so enthusiastic about fitness to me it just seem boring but everyone should do what they like.
    And not everything about fitness is positive

Personally I don't do any sport any more (used to till I was 18).
    Now I'm 32 and I have a normal size and my stamina is pretty good as well.

The only thing I do is use my bike to wherever I need to go and on occasion go hiking (did walk 20-30 KM yesterday but it's very sporadic).
    If you eat good and use a bike or walk once in a while (instead of always using a car) it's easy to keep in good shape without doing (IMHO) boring excercises.

So no, won't do fitness.

I don't think it is as simple as to just tell people they need to workout. Many people are just happy being lazy and/or overweight. I was one of those people who was severely obese and every time someone told me I was fat and needed to lose weight it honestly just made me mad and I would eat more just to spite that person. People will change their lifestyle when they are ready and well if they are not ready they will just quit.

For people that really want to lose weight you need to stop making excuses. I am a disabled veteran (medically discharged because of a broken pelvis, torn ligaments in left knee, broken right knee cap, broken right ankle, and broken left wrist.....car accident) and have 3 screws in my pelvis, 9 pins in my left knee, and a screw in my ankle. I still workout 3 hours a day/7 days a week and no one needs to workout that much but I enjoy it and feel sluggish if I don't. However with all these prior injuries if I can do it so can you.

For what its worth I was originally told I would never walk again but just recently ran in blooms-day which is a 10k run so best of luck to those of you who choose to improve your health.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Seriously, the gaming community gets such a bad reputation because of a small minority. It's this minority I'm talking to right now, go exercise! You don't have to have a six pack, you don't need massive biceps but you do need some exercise everyday, whether that means cycling to work or just having a walk in the evening, or even better, going to the gym.

Gaming is a great hobby but it can eat up a lot of time and, from observation, often the time that you'd be able to go to the gym, walk etc. I know I'm not alone in the idea that people who heavily game need a bit more exercise, it's a frequent topic of discussion. I got a guildmate into it recently just by giving him my workout playlist.

I think a major problem is intimidation. Going to a gym is never an easy thing at first, it's often the last place you want to be. But if you push past that you'll feel the results, and it's a great place to socialize. Nothing is better than a good workout and a few beers with the guys before i head back to an all nighter lan party!:P

Anyone else think the gaming community could do with some healthy lifestyle audits? I'm not talking about just losing weight, just health in general. I think everyone, of all backgrounds, needs more physical work but the gaming community is often highlighted, so wouldn't it be nice to show everyone up?:P
    I agree completely ! I wont be going to the gym but just cycling and weight training... Got an old railway line that stretches for miles. I aint excercised properly in about 2 years so I do need to start again ;\
    Few beeres and a lan party sounds good aswell!
    War requires the sledge hammer, but will be decided by the scalpal
    Intel i5 2500k -Intel 330 180GB SSD - Saphire HD OC Edition 7870 - Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77

Deleted
    Just do what I did - get a physical job. It more than compensates for all my hours sat on my arse gaming, my terrible diet and my frequent weekend alcohol binges.

I can't imagine how unfit I'd be if I sat in front of a computer in an office all week.
    Last edited by mmoc8b94a8a2c2; 2011-05-12 at 03:37 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortis Darkskull View Post
    don't wanna...
    I do, and I will once I start working in a few months...I'm in school and will be lazy just a lil longer.

Better idea: How about you let them live how they want to? If they're to the point where it effects their health, family and friends will point it out to them.
    I'm black, you don't see me telling all of the "gangsters" that they're giving the rest of us a bad reputation and to go shop at a local store with a Carlton Banks section.

No, I'm not offended by what you said. I work out every other day as well as take boxing. And unfortunately, I'm underweight by ~18 pounds. I'm just getting a bit tired of people trying to tell others they can't live their lives how they enjoy so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Migari View Post
    Talk to Bibi, he´s a reasonable guy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Stop being a giant trolling asshole.
    See, I can say nasty things in public!

I used to be in the Gym 5 days a week for 1.5-2hrs a day. Unfortunately work and college no longer offer me that luxury. One thing I have found that has kept me in great shape is boxing. I used to practice a few different martial arts years ago, I picked up a Wavemaster some freeweights and resistance bands, set up a small in-home gym out in my garage and now I get most of my cardio from boxing, then use the freeweights and resistance bands for my weight training.

It works out pretty well, I'm working on a way to attach my resistance bands for when I'm actually boxing to add more resistance to each punch/kick/knee/headbutt etc.

The thing people don't understand is that you don't NEED to go to a gym, sure its convenient, but once your local gym starts getting crowded like mine did, it gets to be much more of an annoyance than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkeltoe View Post
    -Lots of things-

So no, won't do fitness.
    You realize you don't need to go to a gym to do fitness things, right? You can even do things in your home. Or outside. If you can't do fitness in either of those 2 places then there are other problems at hand.