10+ Year Old Account

[Music] Learning bass don't understand certain tabs.

Alright I've been trying to teach myself electric bass (without the aid of an amp mind you) and I've come across two sets of tab annotations that I don't quite understand.

The first is from a tab for "Too Many Puppies" by Primus.

Part 2 of Intro
    G-5h6-6-6-7-x-x-x-x-x-
    D-5---5-5-5-x-x-x-x-x-
    A---------------------
    E---------------------

and...

During the guitar solo
    G-5h6-x-x-6h7-x-x-7h8-x-x-8p7-x-x-7p6-x-x-6p5-x-x-
    D-5h6-x-x-6h7-x-x-7h8-x-x-8p7-x-x-7p6-x-x-6p5-x-x-
    A-------------------------------------------------
    E-------------------------------------------------

What exactly am I supposed to do during the "x" parts?

The second question comes from a tab for "Paralyzer" by Finger Eleven

G---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    D---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    A---------7-1010-97---7-1010-97------------------------7-1010-97--7-1010-97-|
    E--12/7-0------------0------------2202p--22222-30----0-----------0----------|

The issue lies in the 12/7 part. Am I supposed to slide from the 12th fret to the 7th or what?

I'm only asking here because the site didn't give a key for their tabulatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

10+ Year Old Account
    What exactly am I supposed to do during the "x" parts?
    You need to hold the string with your finger, not pressing in any fret specifically. It is supposed to sounds like a percussion.

The issue lies in the 12/7 part. Am I supposed to slide from the 12th fret to the 7th or what?
    You're right, it is a slide.

EDIT: I think the technical name for the X's is "dead notes".
    From a website I found on google: "A dead note is achieved by lightly resting your left hand across the strings without actually pressing the strings against the fret. You can then proceed to strum the pattern shown on the tab [...] with the right hand."
    Last edited by Hraklea; 2011-05-12 at 08:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    You need to hold the string with your finger, not pressing in any fret specifically. It is supposed to sounds like a percussion.

From a website I found on google: "A dead note is achieved by lightly resting your left hand across the strings without actually pressing the strings against the fret. You can then proceed to strum the pattern shown on the tab [...] with the right hand."
    Kinda wish my friend told me that before he suggested Too Many Puppies for me, alright, thank you.

You're learning Claypool? In that case, the 'x's are ... pretty much whatever the hell Les Claypool wants them to be. Somtimes he does a funky slap, somtimes it's simply just plucking the string(all while not pressing down on the fretboard), sometimes it's some crazy technique nobody does.

Here's him doing it live, if that helps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XJN7qqFqPE

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post

Also called a "palm mute". if you didn't know already, the "h" is a (hammer-on) and i think the "p" is a "pull-off" (the opposite of a "hammer-on")

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    You're learning Claypool? In that case, the 'x's are ... pretty much whatever the hell Les Claypool wants them to be. Somtimes he does a funky slap, somtimes it's simply just plucking the string(all while not pressing down on the fretboard), sometimes it's some crazy technique nobody does.

Here's him doing it live, if that helps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XJN7qqFqPE
    I'm actually kinda steering away from Claypool cause one, dude's crazy at the bass, two I'm not really into his music. But yeah I've seen some of his live stuff, shit's crazy.

Yeah might have picked an easier band than Primus to kick off with - looking forward to seeing that particular freakshow in July

Good luck with the learning part though, just remember that all drummer jokes can now be adapted and aimed at you!
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

just realized how confusing ordinary tabs look after having used guitar pro for years hehe

Hey man, here is a helpful tip,

I play guitar and use a software called Guitar pro it has a midi track along with the tabs and you can slow it down, speed it up whatever and it really helps you learn to play. It costs money but i think you can get it for free, good luck with your bassing endeavors!
    also:

PRACTICE YOUR SCALES!
    http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beardlust View Post
    Also called a "palm mute"
    no, it`s a death note.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also called a "palm mute". if you didn't know already, the "h" is a (hammer-on) and i think the "p" is a "pull-off" (the opposite of a "hammer-on")
    Palm mute is when you use your right hand (the one that hold the pick/play with fingers).
    Dead note is when you use your left hand (the one that press the strings against the frets).

10+ Year Old Account
    Dead note / Muted note. Either works.

"Too many puppies" isn't that hard to play though. It's easily one of the more accessible songs they've got.

Best way in general to figure out what the heck a tab is supposed to mean is to put up the song. An astounding number of tablature isn't remotely close to what's actually being played.