Cho'gall Hunter tips

Im just wondering if some hunters here that have down Cho'gall hm 25 have any tips on things to do in the fight that you have found help you max Dps on all the targets and help the raid in general. I have the trap handling down we have entrapment and Conc barrage.

Silencing Shot is obviously invaluable for snap interrupts on people outside of the group for whatever reason. Using a moth with a 25 yard interrupt on a macro to target somebody gives even more interrupting power; I had mine setup to very specifically target and interrupt one of the two mages we had stacking corruption.

Something to remember is that every single elemental starts out at 100%, meaning you can get off a CA phase Aimed Shot right off the bat on them. Easy way to get a fast 50k shot on the elementals. I would generally send a pair of steady shots into them after that, and they'd simply go down to sub-10% with all the dots that would get thrown on them after that.

Also, be sure to spec rapid killing. One point is the minimum here. Spec entrapment as well, you can reach it and simply by dropping Frenzy from BM tree out of your spec. My current primary spec is my Cho'gall spec, so feel free to have a look. I believe I logged out in my secondary spec though.

One more thing to remember: depending on how far away you are dropping the adherents, your first multishot may not hit the bloods before your GCD is up. Do not fire a second multi-shot until the first one connects. Doing so will cause you to spend 80 focus, instead of 40, then 20, and so on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    <snip>
    Looking at your spec wouldn't 1/2 in Point of no Escape and 1/2 in Rapid Killing be better then the 2/2 in rapid killing, i have no sim or anything about it i just got a feeling :P

We use 2 ranged groups for p2. I drop a Freezing Trap at my feet in p2 for the initial MC. Also, I have a macro to cast Silencing Shot and Scatter Shot on the 2 mages that are stacking corruption.

When the slimes spawn, we usually have an elemental up and melee killing it. So, the ranged stand on the ele, away from the boss, so you can easily target the slimes without the boss being in the way. Drop an Ice Trap and an Explosive Trap when you are done with the 2 big adds. Our add tank makes sure that the adds die in a straight line, so we have better aoe. If your tank does this, you can just macro Multi-Shot to target the slimes, otherwise try to select the middle add for more Multi-Shot coverage.

In p3, if there's a tentacle close to you, you can use glyphed Raptor Strike on them if you're dipping too low and don't have a Healthstone left.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
    Looking at your spec wouldn't 1/2 in Point of no Escape and 1/2 in Rapid Killing be better then the 2/2 in rapid killing, i have no sim or anything about it i just got a feeling :P
    Possibly. Our strat was very focused on burning Cho'gall as hard as possible though, and our kill was done in only 3 adherent waves, rather than four. The small boost in single target that I'd gain with the 2/2 rapid killing outweighed the extra DPS on the bloods, which were already no issue at all for us. For other guilds that may not be the case though if they do a fourth wave of bloods. We had two boomkin knockbacks and two entrapment-specced hunters for the fight, so any extra aoe dps at that point would've been redundant for us.

There is also one more thing I found INVALUABLE on this fight, and that is the following multi-shot macro:
    Code:
    #showtooltip Multi-Shot
    /tar Blood
    /tar Darkened
    /cast Multi-Shot
    This macro was incredibly useful, especially since spamming multi-shot does not automatically pick a new target when the current target dies after 4.1 for some (idiotic) reason.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2011-05-13 at 02:50 PM.

Herc macro /startattack into multi shot, it will auto target a new mob each time your target died =]
    I have loved to the point of madness; That which is called madness, That which to me, is the only sensible way to love.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...eeket/advanced

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarosia View Post
    Herc macro /startattack into multi shot, it will auto target a new mob each time your target died =]
    Are you sure? Cause i'm sure i saw this in patchnotes like "hunters no longer aquire a new target after the current one is dead" If you have no target the /startattack is useless. or is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Zarosia View Post
    Oh yeah? I might try that, but I still much prefer having that macro for Cho'gall; it'd be dumb if I did /startattack and ended up targeting Cho'gall, an elemental, or in phase 2, one of the tentacles, rather than my intended multi-shot targets.

Deleted
    Code:
    #showtooltip Multi-Shot
    /tar Blood
    /tar Darkened
    /cast Multi-Shot
    Yeah i used the same macro on our first HC magmaw kill and it was so helpful, and i guess the specc need to be designed with the other ppl in the guild also :P

How ironic, I almost had a feeling the OP was someone from my guild :> I was delaying my instant aimed procs if I new the add was spawning shortly after and could dump a Aimed shot and chimera right into it and a steady, at that point I'd switch back to chogal. This fight might be worth dumping more into haste as I find I spend a decent amount of time hard casting due to lack of movement.

At first I was forgetting to raptor strike but once I did, the damage was laughable. The big Aoe would bring me down to maybe 40%. I dropped silencing shot but I'll have to get it back. Entrapment is definitely worth looking into, maybe I'll try survival

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffari View Post
    How ironic, I almost had a feeling the OP was someone from my guild :> I was delaying my instant aimed procs if I new the add was spawning shortly after and could dump a Aimed shot and chimera right into it and a steady, at that point I'd switch back to chogal. This fight might be worth dumping more into haste as I find I spend a decent amount of time hard casting due to lack of movement.

At first I was forgetting to raptor strike but once I did, the damage was laughable. The big Aoe would bring me down to maybe 40%. I dropped silencing shot but I'll have to get it back. Entrapment is definitely worth looking into, maybe I'll try survival
    You can reach entrapment while still specced MM; with the buff to multi-shot, MM's aoe dps is strong enough that you aren't losing out too much vs. survival, and the single-target power of MM is pretty important no matter what for Cho'gall. Last phase is a hard, hard burn.

You can reach entrapment while still specced MM; with the buff to multi-shot, MM's aoe dps is strong enough that you aren't losing out too much vs. survival, and the single-target power of MM is pretty important no matter what for Cho'gall. Last phase is a hard, hard burn.
    Yeah my MM dps is far superior to my SV, I still don't play that well. I think our best attempt on our first night was 60%ish so we'll figure out it out. It's weird going from 10 man to seeing 25 man first set of adds, I mean theres a decent chunk of them. It'll be interesting to see how we fare come the 3-4th set of adds.

What I noticed too was aside from some people getting hit the odd time to unnecessary damage, this fight is 90% on the healers. I guess you can say that about most fights but still, it's a gross amount of damage dished out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffari View Post
    Yeah my MM dps is far superior to my SV, I still don't play that well. I think our best attempt on our first night was 60%ish so we'll figure out it out. It's weird going from 10 man to seeing 25 man first set of adds, I mean theres a decent chunk of them. It'll be interesting to see how we fare come the 3-4th set of adds.

What I noticed too was aside from some people getting hit the odd time to unnecessary damage, this fight is 90% on the healers. I guess you can say that about most fights but still, it's a gross amount of damage dished out.
    The big thing is making sure that the shadow aoe adds never go in at more than 10% HP, and naturally interrupting every depravity. That eliminates the vast majority of the fight's damage, and should make things more manageable... though that's not really specifically a hunter issue. :P I wish our Silencing Shot was a 10 second CD so we could be a regular kicker sometimes, alas.

Silencing Shot is obviously invaluable for snap interrupts on people outside of the group for whatever reason. Using a moth with a 25 yard interrupt on a macro to target somebody gives even more interrupting power; I had mine setup to very specifically target and interrupt one of the two mages we had stacking corruption.

Something to remember is that every single elemental starts out at 100%, meaning you can get off a CA phase Aimed Shot right off the bat on them. Easy way to get a fast 50k shot on the elementals. I would generally send a pair of steady shots into them after that, and they'd simply go down to sub-10% with all the dots that would get thrown on them after that.

Also, be sure to spec rapid killing. One point is the minimum here. Spec entrapment as well, you can reach it and simply by dropping Frenzy from BM tree out of your spec. My current primary spec is my Cho'gall spec, so feel free to have a look. I believe I logged out in my secondary spec though.

One more thing to remember: depending on how far away you are dropping the adherents, your first multishot may not hit the bloods before your GCD is up. Do not fire a second multi-shot until the first one connects. Doing so will cause you to spend 80 focus, instead of 40, then 20, and so on.

I would advise against speccing into entrapment. We use two fully corrupted mages and they really get close to the adds for a blast wave if they can't get a dot spreader proc (can't remember what it's called). I guess with spirit link healing them through corruption it's kinda irrelevant now, but previously even just one extra melee hit on a corrupted mage could mean 15 more seconds of dps time for them which was a lot. Our mages fully corrupted through shadow crashes so they were already full corruped for the first adds. It was wasted DPSe for me to switch to bloods until at least the third and if the mages got off a good compustion on the third it was a waste of DPSe to switch to them until the fourth.

Make sure you're getting your MD off on the adherent quickly, make sure your dropping your trap in the appropriate place and make sure you're using silencing shot and scatter if needed to free people. Other than that the fight rests almost solely on the tanks. Pool stacking and getting Cho'gall up to the throne quickly are what will make or break a kill. If pools are stacked well enough and you're corrupting mages bloods won't be a problem. If you're suppose to be on Shadow or Fire orders make sure you do it. The only time I was ever on orders was the transition from adherents back to Cho'gall. Like the above poster said you could abuse the careful aim on the orders to spike your dps but in my situation it was wasted DPSe to do that. Our corrupting mages killed the orders when bloods weren't up. Our melee killed the orders when bloods were up. The mages were dotting so hard that any dps i put into them was essentially wasted and the GCD would have been better spent on Cho.

The big thing is making sure that the shadow aoe adds never go in at more than 10% HP, and naturally interrupting every depravity. That eliminates the vast majority of the fight's damage, and should make things more manageable... though that's not really specifically a hunter issue. :P I wish our Silencing Shot was a 10 second CD so we could be a regular kicker sometimes, alas.
    Did you have any Hunters use Conc Barrage or did you just go with entrapment?

Quote Originally Posted by zeta333 View Post
    Did you have any Hunters use Conc Barrage or did you just go with entrapment?
    I was specced into Conc Barrage in addition to entrapment, other hunter was not I believe. As for using your corrupted mages to kill the adds... I ask, 'why bother,' their whole job is to push Cho'Gall's shit in. :P Two hunters and two boomkins were able to handle the first two waves of adds totally by themselves. Third wave died super fast as well, mages never had to switch and could gleefully spam Cho'Gall.

I believe we found that a kill was ultimately determined whether or not you went into the final phase with a shadow add spawning or not; push him without a shadow add, everybody is high HP/low corruption, you win. Get a shadow add, you get shit on!

Refire's post described a good way of doing it as well, however... this is probably one of those fights where every guild is going to do it a bit differently.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2011-05-13 at 04:19 PM.

I was specced into Conc Barrage in addition to entrapment, other hunter was not I believe. As for using your corrupted mages to kill the adds... I ask, 'why bother,' their whole job is to push Cho'Gall's shit in. :P Two hunters and two boomkins were able to handle the first two waves of adds totally by themselves. Third wave died super fast as well, mages never had to switch and could gleefully spam Cho'Gall.

I believe we found that a kill was ultimately determined whether or not you went into the final phase with a shadow add spawning or not; push him without a shadow add, everybody is high HP/low corruption, you win. Get a shadow add, you get shit on!

Refire's post described a good way of doing it as well, however... this is probably one of those fights where every guild is going to do it a bit differently.
    Ignite munching is why. They're doing a lot of dps. Not changing targets gets a lot of ignite munching thus wasting a decently large potential of their dps. Not to mention they're the best aoe class in the game at the moment. Our mages were alternating combustions on old god phases. So one mages would be up for add phase 1, the next mages for add phase 2, and so on. You are right though, every guild will do something a little different and naturally I'm going to have a bias towards how I've killed it .