[Books] Kindle Recommendations

The semester's over, so I can finally start reading books for enjoyment again rather than hefty textbooks. I'm looking for suggestions on books to buy for my kindle. Recently, I've read The Black Jewel's books by Anne Bishop, and The Songs of Fire & Ice books for George RR Martin. I'd probably include Neil Gaimen to be one of my favorite authors. I prefer fantasy and sci-fi for the most part but I'm open to trying anything that's an enjoyable read.

Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, 1-5, Douglas Adams, and 6, patched over by eoin colfer (hitchhikers guide to the galaxy--, the restaurant at the end of the universe,--- life, the universe, and everything -- so long and thanks for all the fish,-- mostly harmless-- and another thing)
    The Belgariad (5 books)
    The Mallorean (follow up of 5 books)
    both David eddings. i only have the first 6 i mentioned on my kindle but the other 10 should be on there
    if you dont know Douglas Adams, you don't know scifi, and IMO the belgariad is the most epic epic/fantasy saga i've read, Douglas adams being more mature, but neither are immature
    Dwarfs, gods among humanoids, giants among... gnomes...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hitch-hikers' Guide To The Galaxy: Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
    "Oh freddled gruntbuggly/thy micturations are to me/As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
    Groop I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes. And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
    Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillath View Post
    The Black Jewel's
    Read that as The Black Jew and was liek 'D:'

10+ Year Old Account
    Just finished reading Misery yesterday. All I can say is OMG. VERY different from the movie. Few parts in there that will seriously make you flinch.

Also if you want a cool read I suggest the Abarat series by Clive Barker. (He is most famous for his horror novels and creating the 'Hellraiser' characters.

Its a REALLY tripped out slightly dark fantasy book that is for 'kids'. Great read. (The main villian is a disfigured guy with a liquid filled glass container around his head that has nightmares floating around in it. He uses said nightmares to make people go insane.)

Did I mention his name is Christopher Carrion? Best bad guy ever.
    We are WARRIORS man! If we can't make it bleed, we will sure as hell dent the f%^ck out of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Scotia View Post
    Read that as The Black Jew and was liek 'D:'

All because of you,
    I believe in angels.
    Not the kind with wings,
    No, not the kind with halos,
    The kind that bring you home,
    When home becomes a strange place.
    I'll follow your voice,
    All you have to do is shout it out.

How beautiful it is !

10+ Year Old Account
    Neil Gaiman is my favorite author as well. If you have read the book he wrote with Terry Pratchett called Good Omens and enjoyed it, you should check out Pratchett's Diskworld books. There are a ton of them. Not really in any order, but I would start with Colour of Magic first.

Also, I second Douglas Adams' Hitchhickers Guide series. The first two books are great. It does get really wacky after that, but the whole series is worth a read.

I have yet to read a Christopher Moore book I did not enjoy. Very similar sense of humor to Adam's and Pratchett.

Those are all more comedy/sci-fi - fantasy. For a little more serious sci fi, you must read Ender's Game by orson Scott Card if you have not. Brilliant piece of work.

Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is a newer series that is pretty huge. 3 books total.

Guy Gavriel Kay - Tigana and A Song for Arbonne

Stand alone novels but they are really good.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fallen Dragon by Peter F. Hamilton is a really nice little Sci-Fi novel.
    If you haven't read it, try to see if you can get The Sandman for Kindle, otherwise just screw it and get it on paper.
    Other Gaiman book I'd tell you are must read would be Neverwhere, American Gods and Anansi Boys.
    Nuromancer by William Gibson is a timeless Sci-fi classic that I'd recomend together with Heinlein's Starship Troopers.

It's recommendations on hundreds of books in the sticky: Good Books Megathread in this forum.

But to sum it up: His Dark Materials, The Dark Tower or The Wheel of Time is the best books you'll ever read.

15+ Year Old Account
    Aside from some of the others mentioned in this thread:
    If you are into Lovecraft or sci-fi horror, there is a Kindle version of a compilation of 67 Lovecraft stories. Roughly 15,000 will take you weeks to read and is incredibly entertaining.

Also, it costs two bucks. <3 Kindle.

http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-H-P...6964341&sr=1-1

Stranger in a Strange Land
    Sophies World
    The Name of the Wind

Deleted
    I downloaded The Red Door Chronciles from amazon.com three days ago, I liked the sample, bit slower pace than I'm use to, but it's not bad considering it was only $3.43, it got me hooked anyways after the first chapter!

I've poped a link below so you can check it out if you want.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0053HHHRE

10+ Year Old Account
    Brent Weeks stuff, the nightblade trilogy and the first in the black prism series are pretty good

Atonement by Ian McEwan, would definitely recommend this and some of his other books are good as well.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hagbardceline View Post
    Stranger in a Strange Land
    Sophies World
    The Name of the Wind
    Likes listening to Shakespeare

Physics of the Future- Michio Kaku
    The Greatest Show on Earth- Richard Dawkins
    The End of Faith- Sam Harris
    The Demon Haunted World- Carl Sagan

My 4 favorite books right there. I literally couldn't put Physics of the Future down, it was amazing, and The Greatest on Earth is pretty damn close to that as well.
    If people criticized the Bible as much as they criticize WOW we'd all be atheists.

I would say House of Leaves, as it's probably my favorite book, but not for kindle - having the actual book is essential for getting everything out it.
    Profanity is the inevitable linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother%$#@er.
    -
    Jamboro: 110 SPriest, Jamb: 110 Blood DK, Jambori: 110 Prot. Warrior,Jambro: 110 Frost Mage, etc.

The Demon Cycle series (The Painted Man/ The Desert Spear) by Peter V. Brett are great reads, as are the books by Brandon Sanderson (Mistborn, Elantris, Warbreaker, Way of Kings)

Deleted
    Have just finished Through an Icon's Eyes by Grace Conti - set in 1440s Greece, Florence and London but with a load of Magical Realism in there as its a love story about heresy and murder but one of the central characters is a half-finished icon. Really different, really compelling reading and it says on Amazon that the author is giving all royalties to breast cancer research which is a bonus!

I would love to get a kindle, being in Holland and not having the greatest selection of english printed books makes me sad. Though the kindle is just not in my budget at the moment.