Deleted

Lower body exercises at home.

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone had any good exercises for lower body that don't need any fancy equipment? I do most of my exercise at home except for running and I've got some free weights and a pull up bar.
    I used to play a lot of rugby but I haven't got the time now and don't want to lose muscle from my legs.

Cheers

Don't have any weights?

Different kinds of squats, one-legged squats when you get stronger. If you have a girlfriend, put her on your back to substitute for a barbell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    I've got some free weights and a pull up bar.
    Just read this part. Don't know what exactly you have, but if you have a barbell, or a pair of kettlebells, why do you need "fancy equipment" at all?

Also, you can watch this: http://www.youtube.com/user/ConvictConditioning
    Last edited by Against the Modern World; 2011-05-24 at 01:52 AM.
    Life is short Glory is eternal

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jaelrin View Post
    Don't know what exactly you have, but if you have a barbell, or a pair of kettlebells, why do you need "fancy equipment" at all?
    Probably should of specified, I just have some dumbbells. I don't need fancy equipment, I was asking for workouts that don't use fancy equipment, just simple stuff I could preferably do with body weight or simple household stuff.

Lean against the wall. Lower your body into a 'sitting' position with your knees bent at a right angle - lower leg perpendicular to the floor, upper leg parallel to it. Hold as long as possible. Stand, relax a bit, repeat.

Frog jumps/burps - either in your basement or outside - don't want to disturb anything or damage flooring that was not meant to be jumped on.

Squat down with your torso leaning slightly forward, then jump forward as far as possible, ending in a squatting position at the end of the jump. Repeat for as many as you can. This uses a lot of the same muscles that you'd use going into a ruck or a nice low tackle. Take a break. Do it again.

For the froggie burp - do the froggie, but at the end of each jump, bring the hands to the ground, kick your back legs out into a plank. Do a push up. Bring your legs back forward to the starting position of the frog jump and raise your torso so your hands are back off the ground, do another jump->plank-> push-up, etc.

You should not stand between repetitions of froggie jumps or burps.

Lunges with some hand weights are good as well.

Deadlifts, lunges and squats are all great compound exercisess. and all you need for you lower body and can all be done with basic equipment or just body weight, you can also easily progressed them into harder difficulties buy adding more weight, movement ie walking lunges, aswell as plyometric's ie jumping squats and lunges and much more.
    Last edited by Tailz; 2011-05-24 at 02:29 AM.

Execise balls are nice, add a couple weights, and a few training videos, and you will be set.

Duck walks, hundreds and hundreds rows of duckwalks.

Also do you know the workout called "Evolution"?
    Last edited by Cocoballs; 2011-05-24 at 02:39 AM.

For lower body alone (although I suggest you work other parts of your body as well -- spot training doesn't work well) can be easily done with what you have. Just a few example off the top of my head:

- Wall squat
    - Single leg wall squat (switching legs every ~15 seconds)
    - Jumping exercises (tire exercises and such)
    - Certain Yoga exercises (dealing with balance, specifically)
    - Calf raises (I do several slowly raising, then some rapidly -- do with weights)
    - Certain martial arts exercises (kicking exercises, obviously)
    - Stairs
    - Lunges

Those are just a series of exercises I came up with in about a minute. There's a plethora of other ones that can be beneficial. Just make sure that if you're going to do extreme leg workouts, do so only once every ~48 hours. Running every day is fine, but lifting and whatnot... you need a break to let your muscles recover.

Ab Ripper X. It hurts so GOOD!
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Ab Ripper X doesn't really hit lower body all that well. It's your core.

If you use P90X, you'd want to focus on Leg & Back + Plyometrics.

If you have a big dog you can pick him up and use him/ her for squats. That's what I use my lab for.

lunges, squats, squat walking < epic for quads, jumping side to side < good cardio when mixed with squats
    also siting on air

http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby19...19D8DC1A967CFC
    "The instinct of self-preservation? You call it that. Yes, i will sink my teeth into life. Fuck your evolution. Let other species wait their turn. I'm not a lamb being led to the slaughter."
    ~Hunter

What is better, to be born good? or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?
    ~Paarthurnax
    my attempts at being funny with skyrim