Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Rag in vanilla was probably the boss I spent the most time on, and put the most effort into. If he isn't more difficult than Nef I'll be pretty disappointed.

Hopefully. Normal Nef is a lolfest, and normal Cho'gall is even easier.

Nef isn't hard and looking at this "raid guide" that Blizzard allows everyone to see before the content is even out, it seems Rag will be more difficult.

Certainly. Nefarian is actually a really simple fight, IMO, as others have said it's really about the healers and your add tank not screwing up in p3 or p1. But I mean crackle is the only ability you really have to worry about long-term and its controlled and manageable. Both Arthas and Yogg were harder bosses mostly because they were longer and had a lot more abilities to learn and I think Rag will be much more like that. Back to Rag, yes, I think he'll be a lot more complex, especially since killing him will unlock all t12 hardmodes, whereas you'd have to kill three end bosses in t11 to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Al'akir was taken from Rag in Molten Cores looks and that boss in the end of Shadow Labs ive forgotten its name but errm yeah he should be hell of a lot harder than Nef and Cho'gall thats pretty much what they've promised
    I believe English is the language you are trying to speak.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    The preview was from Heroic mode and thus, made a pretty hard impression.

Ragnaros is a lore heavy, final boss of an entire raid-tier. His encounter should be on a similar scale to Illidan, Kael'Thas or Vashj. Encounters always sound more complicated on paper. Half of his abilities are fairly intuitive once you see them in action.
    I agree with Crowe, he deserves to be challenging but you look at the Length of Cho'gall's abilities then encounter him it goes together into one big pile of doable shit. Rag's list looks mean and nasty but given some time/attempts and gear from other bosses it will balance out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sad that most raiding guilds won't see Ragnaros
    Three kinds of people in this world
    1. Those who make things happen
    2. People who sit and want things to happen
    3. Those who sit and wonder what happened

Which one are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mowg View Post
    It's only about the Add tank. If you got a good one, it's easy. If you don't, it's not. Healers have a toughish job, but there's a cap at what they can do with the Add Tank; the Add Tank has just as much responsibility in keeping himself alive as his healer, by being smart with his cooldown rotation. But on top of keeping himself alive, he must maintain aggro, briefly kite the adds back at the right moments and... a very good add tank will control the Shadowblaze so that it doesn't move towards the raid.

You can down Nef with average DPS and healers (especially with the P2 nerf), but you'll have a hard time downing Nef with an average add tank.
    When was this P2 nerf? I seem to have missed it
    The unattainable best is the enemy of all the available betters.

TBH I don't think Average Joe guilds should be able to do normal rag without a large time and effort investment. If it's anything remotely on the level of nef, cho'gall or alakir normal then it's far too easy imo.

Basically all I want is that people who do not push themselves to be better do not kill very much if any content. Effort should be rewarded, not laziness.
    Last edited by Frozendekay; 2011-05-16 at 06:15 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozendekay View Post
    Nef is and always was easy tbh. Rag SHOULD be harder. If he's about reg LK difficulty on normal I'll be quite happy. Heroic, I expect a HLK25 v2.

They're going to need more than one super hard boss though if they've already released strats for the raid (basically what the dungeon journal is) and expect 7 bosses to last any amount of time.
    Arg... at least there's no defiles seriously

wiping to that boss was mind boggling... for a long time =/

"""They're going to need more than one super hard boss though if they've already released strats for the raid (basically what the dungeon journal is) and expect 7 bosses to last any amount of time. """

Not what the journal is at all sir. Reading is our friend kids :P

Nowhere in it will you ever see anything that says "how to" do something. It's simply a listing of what the abilities are. It's up to you to figure out the strat and how to avoid things.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaru View Post
    And everyone else thought it was pretty obvious and unimportant to mention that it clearly isn't.

Anyway, Nef is ONLY difficult for healers. Everyone else should be able to do the fight in their sleep. It should have been way harder. It's also a retard filter for your add tank.
    All bosses are only difficult for healers. Lol.

---------- Post added 2011-05-16 at 02:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sanji View Post
    When was this P2 nerf? I seem to have missed it
    It was only a nerf for 10man heroic, in 4.1. Shadowblaze damage nerfed by 15%.

Quote Originally Posted by djahy View Post
    Sad that most raiding guilds won't see Ragnaros
    Sure they will, a TON of guilds have seen Nef/Chogall regular. Most will see Rag reg. Most however, will not see Rag heroic.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkeypuncher View Post
    """They're going to need more than one super hard boss though if they've already released strats for the raid (basically what the dungeon journal is) and expect 7 bosses to last any amount of time. """

Nowhere in it will you ever see anything that says "how to" do something. It's simply a listing of what the abilities are. It's up to you to figure out the strat and how to avoid things.
    Except the part where it tells you to tank adds during lord rhyolith away from the raid and nuke them quickly. Also the part where it says exactly how certain abilities work, and therefore how to counter them. Like on rag, where it tells you four players are required on 25 man for a magma geyser to spawn.

Fine tuning needs to be done but the gist of the strat is already there laid out in the dungeon journal.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkeypuncher View Post

Half of 'learning' an encounter is figuring out a bosses abilities, what they do, how to avoid them etc. The encounter journal tells you all of that. It's going to make raiding pretty stupid from now on.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    ofc he will be its the new raid teir
    Wanna know how I got these scars? My father was... a drinker. And a fiend. And one night he goes off crazier than usual. Mommy gets the kitchen knife to defend herself. He doesn't like that. Not-one-bit. So - me watching - he takes the knife to her, laughing while he does it! Turns to me, and he says, "why so serious, son?" Comes at me with the knife... "Why so serious?" He sticks the blade in my mouth... "Let's put a smile on that face!

15+ Year Old Account
    Neffy and Al'akir are really not as hard as people make them. Ragnaros will surely be a bit harder, but I don't expect something TERRIBLY hard, at least not on Normal. If the hardmode phase is as easy as Sinestra was, I'm gonna be really disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hustle8 View Post
    Half of 'learning' an encounter is figuring out a bosses abilities, what they do, how to avoid them etc. The encounter journal tells you all of that. It's going to make raiding pretty stupid from now on.
    It only affects the world class guilds that were clearing content before anyone else. It doesn't affect 99% of the other guilds, who do it after these world class guilds and therefore do it while all the resources are available on the internet already, with descriptions of the boss' abilities and strategies. I'm going to assume that you are part of the 99%, so your complaints are meek.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hustle8 View Post
    Because you couldn't go to WoWhead or MMO-Champion.com before?

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Rag in vanilla was probably the boss I spent the most time on, and put the most effort into. If he isn't more difficult than Nef I'll be pretty disappointed.
    Rag was never difficult. You were right in saying he was a boss you spent the most time on, getting your Fire Resist gear. After everyone in raid was well equipped he was one of the easier ones.