Make Nameplates Stay Up Constantly

As it is right now, my nameplates turn off if I get out of a certain range of an enemy or if I drop combat. Is there a way to toggle them on and have them stay that way till log off?

If they're staying off until combat, then i assume its an addon doing that. specifically whichever addon you use for nameplates (Tidy Plates, caelNameplates etc) and can be turned off in the options somewhere.

They turn off when you are out of range of an enemy because thats the way blizzard coded their nameplates, i believe its a max of 40yrds, before they turn off. This is to avoid lagging the hell out when entering an enemy heavy zone and having 5000 name plates pop up, while at the same time still being able to see all the enemies in your immediate area.

Edit: also just making sure, but you have them turned on by toggling the V button correct? havent turned mine off in a long time with the default plates so i cant remember if they stay off or just pop up during combat, which might be what you're looking for also.