Page 1 of 2
LastLast

HI ive never been here before please explain tactics

The amount of times ive joined a za/zg group to have some random dps/tank say he has no idea what to do and wants me to explain all the tactics.

I can handle this the first few times ok I will explain the tactics. Done.

We enter combat then they fail at the tactics pay no attention to the green goo shooting at them and clearly havent read what i typed.

Please WoW puggers read up on tactics before hand it takes 5 minutes and can save everyone alot of time and gold

10+ Year Old Account
    That is why the dungeon journal will be great! For those people who dont check it up before hand
    ''Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack'' -Sun Tzu

theres a mod that explains it for you

i think its called BossTactics or something

ppl who dont know just type /boss or something and it instantly explains the strat for the whole upcoming fight

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    The people who don't know the tactics are most of the time the same people who don't know how to use addons

Quote Originally Posted by Robo View Post
    The amount of times ive joind a za/zg group to have some random dps/tank say he has no idea what to do and wants me to explain all the tactics.

I can handle this the first few times ok I will explain the tactics. Done.

We enter combat then they fail at the tactics pay no attention to the green goo shooting at them and clearly havent read what i typed.

Please WoW puggers read up on tactics before hand it takes 5 minutes and can save everyone alot of time and gold
    Hmmm, while I agree, i've never really had trouble getting any non-drooling morons to do the fight with tactics i've explained?

eg 1st boss:
    Move away from the other guy when linked (avoid other ppl)
    Stay behind him during snake
    Avoid green stuff (he drops a maze pattern on floor that ticks for 40k)
    When he goes up be ready to run from beam.
    an FFS interupt!

2nd:
    Kill raptor ASAP when up
    Avoid BIIIG CLOUD aoe on floor or get 1-shotted
    Ghosts will res.

etc. None of the bosses there are HARD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

People failing because they don't know tactics is a lot worse then people failing while the actually know the tactics.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are 13 you just want to go there and "pwn", reading is for nerds.

My last crash with the 3-rd kind was when a DPS was asking for the tactics on last boss in ZG, and in the middle of my explanation he wrote- ye ye, lets go there and kill already! Of course i was pissed on his arrogance and i stopped explaining and went in to tank the boss. Needless to say he died almost right away, as the healer didn't want to heal a person who stands in the donuts all the time. I hate ppl like this, why would you ask someone the strategy and then not even let him finish!?
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.

Tactics are easy enough to figure out, it's the people who refuse to do them that are the problem.

Deleted
    When I used to play games like Final Fantasy I never read the tactics of the boss fights beforehand. I tried to figure it out on my own. I guess that's what a lot of players would like to do in WoW as well. It takes the "ahhh"- moment away if you learn the fight before you attempt it. And also, isn't it more challenging to actually learn the fight and figure it all out without some guide that tells you what to do? I thought we all want it to be challenging? Guides are like walkthroughs. How much skill does it take to play a game with a guide?

Of course, I know that there's a difference between an MMO and a single player game, and we all have different ways of enjoying dungeons and stuff and there are conflicts sometimes. But it's not just "laziness". I mean how much effort does it take to read half a page of instructions? When players don't study fights inside out by reading walkthroughs on the internet, it's because they have a different attitude towards experiencing the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    When I used to play games like Final Fantasy I never read the tactics of the boss fights beforehand. I tried to figure it out on my own. I guess that's what a lot of players would like to do in WoW as well. It takes the "ahhh"- moment away if you learn the fight before you attempt it. And also, isn't it more challenging to actually learn the fight and figure it all out without some guide that tells you what to do? I thought we all want it to be challenging? Guides are like walkthroughs. How much skill does it take to play a game with a guide?
    this is all well and fine and the way it was in Classic for 80% of guilds who attempted to raid. you went in wiped a few times learnt the boss abilities and eventualy downed it.
    these days the game caters to much to casuals and this hasn't been helped by all the walklthroughs and etc available on youtube or [random wow site],
    blizzard are going one step further and prioviding us with a list of all boss abilities before we enter the instance as well as some of the conditions as to how they will be used.
    this means in theory the content will be cleared even faster than before.
    which should mean blizzard are forced to release content faster or lose subs
    blizzard have no realised that we progress faster and have yet to make 'heroic' boss fights different enough for people who have farmed the normal not to feel like trying to progress the heroic is jsut the same content except it hits harder so not new or fun.
    take uldaur for example hard modes in there genral changed 60%+ of the fight compared to normal in addition to the harder hits.
    yogg is the best example of this and you could do the fight several differant ways by chosing guardians

Quote Originally Posted by Robo View Post
    HI ive never been here before please explain tactics
    ok.

first you make a post. ideally it's kind of controversial, or it's a QQ. then you get flamed for it and people point their fingers at you. you start to feel uncomfortable and flame back, or leave. welcome to internet forums. ;-)

I just tell those lazy bastards to go and read them. I am not some retarded care bear to help people who are just LAZY!

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Get to the last boss of ZG. Sitting there. Waiting. I ask if everyone is ready, a couple people respond yes. I ask "Does everyone know the fight?" Two people say No.

... Where they even going to ask what to do? Nope, they were going to run in and probably die by either not standing in the Deadzone in phase 1, or by standing in blue rings in phase 2, or by wasting a lot of time by not standing by chains to get jumped on, or cause a wipe by not cleaning up spirit adds and getting the healer killed.

If you need tactics explained, that's fine, it's way better than running in and not knowing what the hell to do.

I'm with you though, even when tactics are explained they seem to not read or not understand. I explained Corla for a group of 3 DPS who had somehow never done it before. Corla's pretty easy. Stand in beam, look at stacking debuff. When stacking debuff gets to 80, move out of the beam. When stacking debuff wears off, stand back in beam. Really, that is NOT difficult in ANY way. Look at something on your screen, and move your character. And yet, failure all over.

Yeah, for ZG/ZA you do need to read tacs, well, you should. But am I the only one who thinks that they really arent that difficult to guess? Half of the tactics in wow are 'dont stand on that shit in the floor. Void zones hurt yo'.

If someone has not done a boss before I usually cut them a bit of slack because personally even after I read up on a boss fight I don't feel sure of myself until I've actually done it on my toon. Now if someone continues to fail after repeatedly trying then it can get frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose19 View Post
    I just tell those lazy bastards to go and read them. I am not some retarded care bear to help people who are just LAZY!
    It's not that people are being lazy. People don't see a point in having to go "research" something for a fight that only take a 2-3 minutes tops, which I can't blame them. I don't research them either I just wing it as the fight goes on and do pretty well. Part of the fun is going into a fight not knowing what to expect, if you wipe once no big deal. It only becomes a problem when you wipe 6-10 times because people refuse to learn what to do.

There's an addon called Mactics. You just target the boss and type /mct and it gives the tactics for that boss with basic instructions. I've used it countless times on pugs and it makes things so much easier. Now, if a party member doesn't read the tactics or follow them then that person deserves a /kick.

Quote Originally Posted by Musra View Post
    That is why the dungeon journal will be great! For those people who dont check it up before hand
    Except the people that will need to use this won't. They were too lazy to bother researching beforehand or paying attention when the fight is explained to them already, the journal isn't going to magically make them care now.

tl;dr
    Bads will remain bad.
    Last edited by Velynne; 2011-05-17 at 02:50 PM. Reason: removed a redundant word

The sad thing is that ZG teaches you most of the new mechanics with the trash before you even face a boss with the ability.

High Priest Venoxis- Whispers of Hethiss and Toxic Link are both on the trash before him and don't stand in stuff.

Bloodlord Mandokir- doesn't really have any new mechanics. Just kill the add and don't stand in stuff.

Zanzil- Green, Blue and Red cauldrons are all available to be used before the boss and the blue/green ones pretty much have to be used to make it through the trash.

Jin'do the Godbreaker- The body slam along with the zone it leaves and twisted spirits are all encountered with the trash. Other than that it is mainly manage the adds and don't stand in stuff.

I'm _really_ disappointed with the expectation that I have to search for tactics online before I enter a new dungeon. A lot of people, myself included, HATE SPOILERS. I really enjoy the story in WoW, and the LFD community destroys that aspect of it (and I haven't found a guild that was all that patient, either).

That said, I still read up before doing a new tier of dungeons, and I still had trouble the first time, and couldn't remember every detail of every boss fight. I don't think a brief refresher was too much to ask, if there is something particularly tricky about fight mechanics.