Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    From the girl gamers I know, they either say they're guys to avoid attention, or don't say anything about who they are IRL at all. Of course, that begs the issue of trust; from what they say there, they mightaswell be real guys, although in all honest, it hardly matters. It's not like I'm going to do anything more than play video games with them.

Deleted
    I thinks its pretty obvious why some of them hide it in game, and why some spam trade chat with it.. attention! IRL though, I guess its like the rest of us.. no need to tell people that doesnt want to hear about it, and as a bonus they'll avoid the negative stereotype.
    I dont care if fellow gamers are fat, ugly, pretty, white, asian, black, gay, boy, girl, etc, etc, etc..
    Last edited by mmoca172a76622; 2011-05-18 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xReck View Post
    So I'd like a definition on what a creepy guy on WoW is. Because if saying "hi" and asking "how are you?" is creepy that something is seriously wrong with society.
    There have been a few examples throughout the thread, don't think anyones said someone is creepy for just saying "hi".

They probably dont want to be stalked by some of the truly weird mofos i've seen in this game. lol

I don't hide the fact that I'm a gamer offline. I wear my "label" proudly. Honestly, I don't care if people give me odd looks for wearing a WoW T-shirt, or carry around a Halo hat. I like what I spend my time on so I'm not ashamed of it. Why should I hide who I am? Gamer through and through. Hell, maybe wearing that WoW shirt and Halo hat will get some people to go "Hey, you play too?" and spark up some interesting conversations. I like that part of society, where when you wear some indication of a hobby and someone recognizes and takes up the opportunity to chat. Granted, there are some people out there that are awkward, but those conversations/confrontations are easily left.

I actually just got back from a trip in town and had my Alliance shirt on. A couple people waiting in line and I ended up having a pretty fulfilling conversation about our characters. Fun stuff.

I <3 being a Gamer. Gamerz unitez. Nomnomnom.
    Meep~

Quote Originally Posted by Amaroq View Post
    I don't hide the fact that I'm a gamer offline. I wear my "label" proudly. Honestly, I don't care if people give me odd looks for wearing a WoW T-shirt, or carry around a Halo hat. I like what I spend my time on so I'm not ashamed of it. Why should I hide who I am? Gamer through and through. Hell, maybe wearing that WoW shirt and Halo hat will get some people to go "Hey, you play too?" and spark up some interesting conversations. I like that part of society, where when you wear some indication of a hobby and someone recognizes and takes up the opportunity to chat. Granted, there are some people out there that are awkward, but those conversations/confrontations are easily left.

I actually just got back from a trip in town and had my Alliance shirt on. A couple people waiting in line and I ended up having a pretty fulfilling conversation about our characters. Fun stuff.

I <3 being a Gamer. Gamerz unitez. Nomnomnom.
    I have a few gaming shirts I proudly wear, some girl working at the mall had an Alliance shirt on while I was buying my boyfriend a Horde T-Shirt, pretty fun conversation sparked from that.

I don't usually have any problems IRL showing that I am a female gamer, online I usually try to hide it, I guess because its kind of hard to hide your gender IRL.

Deleted
    Probably because of the multitude of guys who see a girl, and imagine themselves being in love with them without even knowing them?

Deleted
    Couldn't care less about the gender of the people i play with, for me, it's all about the attitude and skill he/she puts into the game.
    Besides, it's much more surprising to hear first timers on Vent, rofl.

My fiancee doesn't hide the fact that she is female. She doesn't shove it in anyone's face either. She just continues stomping people, blowing up bosses, and acknowledges she is a girl if asked.

Have you ever seen trade chat?

That's why they hide it.

But then there are the girls who feel they MUST let you know they are female.... LIKE THE MAJORITY OF US GIVE A CRAP.

STFU and Play, is my motto.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachopie View Post
    Because creepy guys hit on them...
    dude, have you ever actually been outside ?

Quote Originally Posted by yomon347 View Post
    LIKE THE MAJORITY OF US GIVE A CRAP.

STFU and Play, is my motto.
    The majority does in fact give a crap, girls get the same curtesy as offline :P

@Topic: G.I.R.L's hide IT because a bulge would give em away.
    Last edited by Deafknight; 2011-05-18 at 07:22 PM.

Azurma
    They're weird and got aids, now get out of my face and stop doing these stupid threads.
    Thanks.

I haven't read the entire thread because I know the answer, I know girls that play wow. They hide the fact they are female because there are a lot of creepers out there and they don't want to get stalked by all the desparate weirdos, and all of the annoying 11 year olds that mess with them because they are girls. Like the kids that constantly /flirt with them and think they are funny but really just come accross as immature and annoying.

Deleted
    My girl has pacman tattoos. She doesn't hide it at all !

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    There have been a few examples throughout the thread, don't think anyones said someone is creepy for just saying "hi".
    To the person you're responding to:

If you want something specific, here is an example from my own personal experience watching someone in-game who had a very blatant crush on another player in-game (who was married). He had such strong creep-vibes that everyone around him was uncomfortable -- especially the target of his affections.

[Player] talks constantly in chat and vent about how he's never had a girlfriend and how lonely he is. This set the stage for the rest of it. [Player] gives excessive flattery to a particular female guildmate, above and beyond what he gives to other friends or other skilled guildmates. [Player] always insists on having her assigned to healing him. [Player] joins the healer channel so he can chat with her there, too. [Player] asks personal questions about her private life and relationship status. [Player] always greets her personally in channel when she signs on, but never anyone else individually. [Player] wants to chat with her in whispers every time she's online and whispers her immediately when she logs in. [Player] always jumps at the chance to help her with dungeon runs and group quests, although he does not volunteer nearly as often for other people. [Player] makes passive-aggressive comments about how he wishes he could date a "gamer girl" or a "cool girl like her" whenever she's around.

Maybe none of these things alone would be creepy, but they add up together to a very very uncomfortable situation.

He was completely oblivious to how his behaviour came off and how obvious his feelings were. He just thought he was being nice and friendly to her. He just thought he was being her friend. He didn't notice all the times he acted differently with her than he did with other friends. He wasn't trying to weird her out, but he did a fabulous job at it.

Part of the additional factor for creepiness is that he didn't know her hardly at all. He had never met her in person or talked to her outside of the game and knew very little personal information about her, the kind of information most people use to judge their romantic feelings towards a person. All he knew was that she was female and knew how to play. What he was attracted to was the general concept of a female playing video games and she just ended up being the target. And that sort of attitude amplifies the creep-factor because when people are suddenly friendly to a person just because they discovered their gender, even if their friendliness level is in normal range, it comes off as inappropriate.

(btw, I don't think the creepy interactions are one sided from males to females, I am just using this as an example of what a "creepy guy" might be)
    Last edited by Tziva; 2011-05-18 at 07:24 PM.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    Probably thanks to the "Omg a girl!!!!!11!!!oneeleven!!½½!" teenager hormone monster molesters who think their internet-awesomness makes them cool and so on... In addition to these "lets-hope-she-likes-me" GMs and officers... Of course theres exceptions among girl/women players too, attention whores, drama queens etc who purposely seek those things...
    Last edited by mmoc974ef5d94f; 2011-05-18 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slinx View Post
    They hide the fact they are female because there are a lot of creepers out there .
    And again, have you actually been outside ? Just because creepers in videogames dont use binoculars doesnt mean there are more.

Quote Originally Posted by Belajasx View Post
    Probably thanks to the "Omg a girl!!!!!11!!!oneeleven!!½½!" teenager hormone monster molesters who think their internet-awesomness makes them cool and so on... In addition to these "lets-hope-she-likes-me" GMs and officers... Of course theres exceptions among girl/women players too, attention whores who purposely seek those things...
    So there are girls that dont like attention ?

Deleted
    There's really too much fussing about girls who play games.. what's so weird about that?

W/E.. Maybe It's because they're ashamed that everyone will find out and those cool, athletic jocks will yeah, notice them, but not in the good way. :d And as a lot of have been saying; a lot of weird, overly nerdy, creepies will start stalking them..

Quote Originally Posted by Nachopie View Post
    Because creepy guys hit on them...
    Yes, exactly this (:
    PuGs is too stupid to understand such complicated boss mechanics as "don't stand in the giant ass fire"

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Usually because of the bad reception that gamers in general get, and the fact that anything men are looked down upon for, women are looked down upon twice as hard.
    Basically this to be honest, it's sad but true. Both parts that is.
    Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ealar/advanced

Raid Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/pappahealar

Guild Website: http://www.excesse-guild.net/ (Dismissed and seized raiding early 2011, March.)