Thread: driver problem?

driver problem?

Hey all, I got a new video card not too long ago, and it has been acting rather oddly, at seemingly random points when playing certain games my computer will freeze put out this annoying buzzing sound from my speakers and the picture is all blotchy

is this a driver problem?

im using a geforce GTX 470

Did you do a clean install of the driver?

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you name the brand of the graphics card, and list your power supply?

Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    Did you do a clean install of the driver?
    I dont know exactly what a clean install is, but when i got it i downloaded the newest drivers

Can you name the brand of the graphics card, and list your power supply?
    cant remember exact brand, and i gave the box away with my old graphics card for money

im using 750 watts, which is overkill for my machine

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conaan View Post
    I dont know exactly what a clean install is, but when i got it i downloaded the newest drivers

cant remember exact brand, and i gave the box away with my old graphics card for money

im using 750 watts, which is overkill for my machine
    "using 750 watts" is no way to determine if your PSU is sufficient enough. The main thing you look for is stability and enough amps on the 12v+ rail. But i'm going to assume it's good enough (unless it's some crappy brand), though it couldn't hurt to double check the voltages.

Have you changed anything else in your setup when you purchased this new graphics card? Or did you only swap out the graphics card. I've had this same issue, and for me it was caused due to installing a Solid State drive, and the datadisk shut down after 20 minutes (power management setting). And then when it wanted to read something off it, it froze the exact same way.

10+ Year Old Account
    A "clean" install is deleteing the old drivers/software, before installing the new ones.
    Just like a clean install of Windows, typically means a reformat, then re-install.

(I'm in no way suggesting that you reformat your machine, in-order to install your graphics drivers though!)

10+ Year Old Account
    During the setup of your Nvidia drivers, there's a box you can select which states "Run a clean install". It first deletes all drivers, then you reboot and reinstall the drivers properly.
    Though i doubt this is causing the issues, it takes such a small ammount of time to perform that it's worth trying it out.

Its most likely just the 270 drivers acting funny because alot of people have had problems with them including me.

I would have basically the same problem has you but only happening in bc2, read that installing the 270 driver without the audio driver helps. Reinstalled without them havnt had a problem since.

So i suggest doing a clean install(deleting your old driver files, restart in safe mode run driver sweeper then install the new drivers without the audio driver

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    Its most likely just the 270 drivers acting funny because alot of people have had problems with them including me.

I would have basically the same problem has you but only happening in bc2, read that installing the 270 driver without the audio driver helps. Reinstalled without them havnt had a problem since.

So i suggest doing a clean install(deleting your old driver files, restart in safe mode run driver sweeper then install the new drivers without the audio driver
    That's wierd, i didn't have any issues with 270 driver. Using a gtx 460. Well you don't need to reinstall it again if a conflict is occuring with the audio devices. Just disable it @ device manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    "using 750 watts" is no way to determine if your PSU is sufficient enough. The main thing you look for is stability and enough amps on the 12v+ rail. But i'm going to assume it's good enough (unless it's some crappy brand), though it couldn't hurt to double check the voltages.

Have you changed anything else in your setup when you purchased this new graphics card? Or did you only swap out the graphics card. I've had this same issue, and for me it was caused due to installing a Solid State drive, and the datadisk shut down after 20 minutes (power management setting). And then when it wanted to read something off it, it froze the exact same way.

i swapped only the graphics card, double checked power and im good on that end

going to reinstall drivers then see what happens, pissing me off endlessly though as the only game that doesnt shut down is WoW

update:
    did clean install on newest drivers (out in april), no results, captured a picture of it to see if you guys can recognize the problem through the outcome better than my terrible explanation

Last edited by conaan; 2011-05-18 at 07:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that graphics card is ready for RMA.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    I think that graphics card is ready for RMA.
    im out of it today, RMA?

10+ Year Old Account
    im out of it today, RMA?
    Return merchandise authorization

IE, send it back it's dang busted

im out of it today, RMA?
    I had no clue either, but it took me 3 secods to check, first link from google http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_..._authorization

Edit: on topic, those graphical errors look pretty bad, there probaply is something wrong with the card, but if you could, you should try it on another computer and see if same thing comes again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you overclocking it? When I had my evga gtx 470 OC'd too high I had some problems like that. I also switched my drivers from the 270.xx to 266.58
    Desktop: Antec Twelve-Hundred v3| ASUS VH236H | i5-3570k @ 4.5 | MSI 660ti PE | AsRock z77 Extreme4 | 16GB G.Skill 1866 | Havik 140 | Vertex 3 90gb Boot ssd | Kingston 240gb ssd | 620w Antec | Logitech G500, G510, G930
    Laptop: ASUS U36JC-B2B Tablet: HP Touchpad 16gb | Asus Infinity 32gb
    Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T3i with 18-55mm IS & 75-300mm
    Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...en/Cc/advanced

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, that picture looks very familar to what I used to get when I overclocked my GPU too much... (turned out it had a missing capacitor, the card still worked ok, just couldn't overclock it.)

So... going to get you to do 2 things :P

1st Reset your graphics card "speed settings to their lowest posible output and check the result.
    This means re-setting your Core Clock, Memory Clock and Shader Clock. (usually achiveable through whatever software came bundled with the card.)

2nd do a visual inspection of the card and ensure that no components are missing (the tell tale of this is that theres a volcano shaped silverybit (solder) but nothing connected to it.