GPU and FPS in WoW

Towards the end of last year I rebuilt my computer. The only things I kept to use were the power supply, tower, and gpu.

The new system consists mainly of-

Windows 7
    MB - ASUS P6X58D PREMIUM
    CPU - INTEL|CORE I7 930 2.80G
    Crucial SSD
    8 gigs of Corsair Dominator Ram (ddr3 1600)

I know wow is processor heavy, but I also know this processor doesn't seem to ever be even "slightly winded" from wow but I still get some lower framerates within raid.
    Its 25 man, its mostly during lots of movement or lots of AOE so is this simply a GPU issue?

The GPU I'm using now is a radeon hd 1 gig 4670 I believe.

If it is the GPU, which I'm honestly assuming it is, what are some of the best options out there in the $200-$300 range, and will those cards offer me flawless FPS in large aoe situations?
    Thoughts / suggestions appreciated, thank you in advance! xD
    "Thus in our darkest hour we shall turn to the ones known as The Deceivers, for they are the ones with absurd power most cannot comprehend. When the end has come, they will be our only chance for survival, and for eternity they shall be remembered as Warlock: Those with immense power who are not afraid to wield it."

HD6950 or GTX 560ti are a couple of good cards to look at in that price range

What do you mean by lower framerates? And yes, it's totally normal to see numbers like 35-45fps while in combat in 25-man raids with your CPU if you're using 1920x1080 monitor and settings at high-ish.

i7-930 is not terribly powerful CPU for gaming as is, and overclocking will help with WoW performance.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Lower frame rates - I'd say I'm usually in the 45-50 area in pvp / combat but as soon as it comes to a major AOE phase or
    AOE with lots of movement (Demo lock for Heroic Mal for example) I drop to 15ish even 10ish at times.
    That is playing in 1920x1080 at Ultra graphics too.

I haven't over-clocked the processor yet but I may do that and see if it helps any at first also, I went ahead and bought a rifled coolermaster
    V8 cpu cooler when I replaced the other things with those intentions, just haven't messed with it yet.

Also thanks for the card suggestions, looking into them right now!
    "Thus in our darkest hour we shall turn to the ones known as The Deceivers, for they are the ones with absurd power most cannot comprehend. When the end has come, they will be our only chance for survival, and for eternity they shall be remembered as Warlock: Those with immense power who are not afraid to wield it."

Deleted
    Highend computer,like 2.5k€ one with POOR internet connection wich is 5mbit results in 20-25fps in ORG high pop realm,with all on min or max details,doesnt rly matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    One last thing you could try; Hide your combat log. That is, simply make sure it's not visible on screen. If that doesn't make a difference, try creating a new combat log "profile" that displays nothing. That's an old trick i used to use which helped keep performance high.
    There's whole sticky dedicated to improving framerate
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Benszg View Post
    Highend computer,like 2.5k€ one with POOR internet connection wich is 5mbit results in 20-25fps in ORG high pop realm,with all on min or max details,doesnt rly matter.
    How would conection speed be related to client side rendering? 5mbit is plenty for WoW unless you're downloading odd stuff in the background.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishra SH Alliance View Post
    Towards the end of last year I rebuilt my computer. The only things I kept to use were the power supply, tower, and gpu.

The new system consists mainly of-

Windows 7
    MB - ASUS P6X58D PREMIUM
    CPU - INTEL|CORE I7 930 2.80G
    Crucial SSD
    8 gigs of Corsair Dominator Ram (ddr3 1600)

I know wow is processor heavy, but I also know this processor doesn't seem to ever be even "slightly winded" from wow but I still get some lower framerates within raid.
    Its 25 man, its mostly during lots of movement or lots of AOE so is this simply a GPU issue?

The GPU I'm using now is a radeon hd 1 gig 4670 I believe.

If it is the GPU, which I'm honestly assuming it is, what are some of the best options out there in the $200-$300 range, and will those cards offer me flawless FPS in large aoe situations?
    Thoughts / suggestions appreciated, thank you in advance! xD
    First off you should look into Overclocking that CPU http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overc...beginners.html. Don't listen to idiots saying the 900 series isn't good for gaming, the 920-960 are pretty much the same chip and run perfectly well. You shouldn't have any issues going up to 3.6 ghz on Air if not more. I have a 960 and I stopped at 3.8 ghz for the sake of Ram acting goofy. For a GPU under 300 I probably would look into the new 560 Non TI "$225ish), 560 TI "$250ish" or a 6950"$250ish", all should throttle wow easy.

Your call http://www.hwcompare.com/8889/geforc...adeon-hd-6950/, the 560 TI and 6950 are pretty much neck and neck until you Flash the 6950 then it's ahead by a small margin.
    Last edited by Auralian; 2011-05-18 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Auralian View Post
    Don't listen to idiots saying the 900 series isn't good for gaming, the 920-960 are pretty much the same chip and run perfectly well.
    It isn't worth it's price for gaming, and calling other idiots because you disagree is somewhere between immature and insecure.

i5-760 performs the same as i7-930 for gaming purposes and costs $100-150 less (for cpu+mobo+ram combo), so it is rather bad investment for a gaming computer.

Anyway, that was not the point. Point was that even if you buy overpriced stuff which isn't meant for gaming specifically, it does not necessarily mean it will run games better. Overclocking it will help some, but it's never gonna be anywhere close to the speed of i5-2500K for example.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post

Anyway, that was not the point. Point was that even if you buy overpriced stuff which isn't meant for gaming specifically, it does not necessarily mean it will run games better. Overclocking it will help some, but it's never gonna be anywhere close to the speed of i5-2500K for example.
    my 990x says "orly"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    my 990x says "orly"
    I wouldn't post so smart-arse comments after looking at this and thinking of what else you could've done with the $800 saved compared to i5-2500K... But I guess "orly" is about the best that people with more money than common sense can come up with.

Also i7-990X and i7-930 are not even in the same ballpark of price or performance, so what was the point again?
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    really, what else could i have done with that extra $800, please inform me

and the point is that the "not worth the price line" is a matter of opinion, not fact

and linking a benchmark is nothing like actually having the two side by side

and the point is that the "not worth the price line" is a matter of opinion, not fact
    What's worth it and not worth it is a fact not an opinion when the question of OP was "how to get better framerate with $200".

and linking a benchmark is nothing like actually having the two side by side
    Actually, it is. Except that somebody else has done it and written down the numbers.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    It isn't worth it's price for gaming, and calling other idiots because you disagree is somewhere between immature and insecure.

i5-760 performs the same as i7-930 for gaming purposes and costs $100-150 less (for cpu+mobo+ram combo), so it is rather bad investment for a gaming computer.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/d...ance,2416.html 3dmark is pretty much the same and I can easly find a 930 cheaper

10% is really something to argue about depending on the one of many benchmarks you can toss up. BTW SB isnt designed around just for gaming either. It is easier to suggest to the op ways to increase what he has instead to be negative and tell him what he bought is over priced junk. It is funny you mention the i5-760 btw.. since the 900's came out the 920 was test bed for gaming, do a search you will find tons of them. As far as price goes, you can find deals that make you swing either way, at the time bang for the buck may have been in the ops favor of 1366 for future upgrading. I would have picked the 1366 over a 1156 anyway, the possible extra cost of the cpu at least gives you more potential in the future.

I paid $199 for my 960... how much did you pay for your 2500 0.o.. both systems are going to be obsolete in less than a year, play all games damn well and will last us 2+ years so it is actually your taste of flavor and what deals you can find when you decide to build.
    Last edited by Auralian; 2011-05-19 at 01:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's worth it and not worth it is a fact not an opinion when the question of OP was "how to get better framerate with $200".
    so the OP has $200-300 to spend and you want him to buy an i5? whats he gonna do with it? duct tape to the side of his case and see if it helps?

Actually, it is. Except that somebody else has done it and written down the numbers.
    actually it isnt, i have a i5 at work with dual 580's, it cant touch what my 990x can do, in just a single non gpu heavy application, yeah its about the same, but the difference is that while the i5 can keep up with the 990 in a one or two things, once you start piling on the programs it chokes, and chokes bad

actually it isnt, i have a i5 at work with dual 580's, it cant touch what my 990x can do, in just a single non gpu heavy application, yeah its about the same, but the difference is that while the i5 can keep up with the 990 in a one or two things, once you start piling on the programs it chokes, and chokes bad
    Who the hell cares how many programs you pile on? Budget-builds for gaming are intended for single-application performance. When you want respectable performance and don't need to burn 27 DVD's while compiling the base code of the universe, paying twice the price for an extra two cores that your target applications can't/won't even utilize is an exercise in frivolity.

Case in point, an E8400(dual core), an i5, and a six-core i7 of the same clock speeds running side by side in gaming applications at higher resolutions yield almost identical framerates(within 5% or less, typically much less) with all other hardware being identical, the largest factor being the GPU in 1080p and beyond. For even the most hardcore gamer, a 980x or beyond is unnecessary, and costs a lot more to replace if you fry it in adventurous overclocking.