Thread: Computer help

Smile Computer help

A year ago I bought a prebuilt Hp. (didnt know how to build my own at the time lol) Well a week ago I tried to start my comp and got nothing on the screen and no light on the front. I get a light on my motherboard, all the fans are working (even on gpu) and my cd drive will open. No beeps or anything. Ive tested my powersupply from the troubleshooter on the hp website and it seems good. Tried another gpu and still nothing. Any ideas? about 2 months ago the hardware scan said i had trouble with my memory, rescanned and it passed so I kinda blew it off. Also when i would wake up in the mornings and boot up a couple of times it said system crashed with blue screen errors but i had shut system down before bed and nothing happened.
    comp is a Hp Pavilion Elite HPE-209f Sry cant post a link yet, new to posting here read all the time tho

sry for wall

Well since you tried a dif video card, thats likely not it.

I'd check things in this order:
    1) Since you already got a memory error, try using one stick at a time. Also, try different slots on your motherboard. Reseat (take out and unplug) everything to make sure all connections are secure.
    1a) Check for grounding cables in your case or a loose screw or something like that somewhere. PCs won't boot up if there's a ground loop.

2) Reset the CMOS or take the CMOS battery out for 5 mins.

3) Check your cables, I've seen issues where a SATA cable was loose and cause a PC to not even post before.

4) Unplug all non-essential connections (detach front USB panel connectors, front sound connectors, etc.) Only have the power connectors to your motherboard, Graphics Card and boot hard drive hooked up (aslo keep the power switch connector hooked up of course, lol). Only SATA connector to your boot drive, nothing else. Try a different SATA cable. I've seen a short in a USB port cause a PC not to POST, same with a bad SATA cable.

5) If that doesn't work, try booting with no drives hooked up (no SATA or power cables) to see if you can at least get a post/BIOS screen.

6) If that still doesn't work you likely have a bad motherboard, PSU, or CPU. Most likely motherboard or PSU, as CPUs rarely die. I know you said you "tested" the PSU, but unless you have a oscilloscope and load tester, you didn't really test it, and that gear costs thousands.
    Last edited by ewhenn; 2011-05-20 at 02:24 AM.

thx ewhenn ill try those and see. crosses fingers

*edit* Looks like its my mobo. Well off to the store lol thx again
    Last edited by Chillidoggin; 2011-05-23 at 12:28 AM.