Page 1 of 3
LastLast

leap of faith (life grip) thoughts

mainly making this thread to see whether or not im alone in thinking that leap of faith (life grip) needs some changes. it's a very cool and useful ability, but it fails quite often and is so easily countered. life grip has a 1min 30sec cooldown, yet is countered and cant function when someone uses 20-30sec cooldownss (any snare, stun, deathgrip, etc).

here are some easy/realistic solutions that will never be implemented lol:
    - (baseline) if it doesnt go off (your teammate doesnt get pulled to you) than it doesnt go on cooldown (similar to when dk's spam their strikes on mages in ice block, and the runes dont go on cooldown)
    - (maybe through talents) make the player immune to "knockback" effects (ex. typhoon,thunderstorm, but mainly deathgrip) for a few seconds after they're life gripped
    - (not realistic) make the cooldown less so that it is on par with similar abilities (deathgrip,blink,teleport,etc.)

*side note: bring back life gripping your mindcontrolled targets!*

just some ideas! the only reason i'd like to see some sort of change with this ability is because it would have very little impact to pvp as a whole, but would atleast give us a little bit more FAITH in our leap of faith (lol!)

Deleted
    life grip is fine... dont change it

I just wish it was a disc spell so it didn't take me out of shadowform.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Leave it alone

10+ Year Old Account
    If it lifted up and over like a warrior's heroic leap I would like it more. You get stuck on the smallest things sometimes.

It saved me from death in WSG today when I got life gripped by a priest miles away, so I luffs it. <3 I don't use it often on my priest unless someone is sitting in the fire like a twit.

Improved version of it should remove snares.

The *only* thing that bothers me sometimes which is not even that much of an issue, is that is goes on cooldown without doing anything sometimes.

And I must admit that I'm still a bit unclear of its mechanics as to when it does or doesn't work, so its probably my own fault too.

Other than that, its fine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerion View Post
    This. This. And this again.
    Edit: Although saving someone and losing two GCDs instead of one is pretty much worth it anyway.

Deleted
    Leveling a priest right now and I can't wait to get life grip! >

Lifegrip is for PVE purposes, when you need to drag some idiot out of a shadowzone etc. So tired of people whining about an ability's usefuleness in PVP. Take what you're dealt in PVP and deal with it. If you can not reconcile yourself with that, then don't pvp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Starskee View Post
    Lifegrip is for PVE purposes, when you need to drag some idiot out of a shadowzone etc. So tired of people whining about an ability's usefuleness in PVP. Take what you're dealt in PVP and deal with it. If you can not reconcile yourself with that, then don't pvp.
    It's overpowerdly good in PvP too!

"For gripping lazy people out of shadowzones? ;o
    Leap of Faith is a coordination spell, not just a drag-the-idiot-out-of-damage spell!

Quote Originally Posted by Revelations View Post
    It's overpowerdly good in PvP too!

"For gripping lazy people out of shadowzones? ;o
    Leap of Faith is a coordination spell, not just a drag-the-idiot-out-of-damage spell!
    This game is not balanced around PVP, nor should it be. If you want to play against other people in a world that is completely balanced around player vs. player, get an Xbox and play call of duty or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    That would indeed be a buff that would solve some inconviences.

Quote Originally Posted by Avora View Post
    (not realistic) make the cooldown less so that it is on par with similar abilities (deathgrip,blink,teleport,etc.)
    Not realistic is not what I would put here. If it had a CD as low as 30seconds what in the game would break? I think with the cooldown it has it should be more game-breaking than it is now. I think it should at least work like Glyph of SWD in the way that under a condition you can use it more than once in the space of 6-10seconds.

---------- Post added 2011-05-20 at 02:08 PM ----------

This game is not balanced around PVP, nor should it be.
    I'd love to agree with you, but this game is not based around PVE anymore. It has a PVP element that influences all abilities and they are balanced that way.
    Adding bewbs to his Avatar since 2011

deadmines the other day...our tank got blown into the water by those cannonballs at the end...LIFE GRIP

same run...dps is lagging behind on the windy staircase up to the top...priest can see him from the edge and CBF waiting for him to walk...LIFE GRIP

from an outsider's perspective, life grip is awesome
    Ilam - <Gardian> | Wiping with Benefits - Frostmourne US - armory

No, that's not the reason for life grip, it's the opposite: dragging them INTO the void zones. Hehehe...

The way I see the spell is mostly to help kiting, like, against Maloriak aberrations or against Atramedes air phase.

They could add sound effects from mortal kombat (see; scorpion), would be awesome when you leap someone ;p

YES PLEASE that would be so nice in arena only lose 1 GCD to save your team mate instead of 2

C.M.S, My favorite thing to start the morning with.

I forsee M..M..M..Multigrip in a future expansion

OT: It has its uses on ascendant council heroic with frost orb kiting coordination, but would love it to place a you cannot be gripped for 5 secs debuff on you, (by a 2nd life grip) getting pingponged around isnt really helping matters with the orb, especially as Im a lock and was about to port to perfect portal placement for getting orb into fire rather than wasting a 90 sec CD.

And yeah, failing should just not activate the CD (including failing by attempting to grip an immune target), ridiculous when such a long CD gets burned for nothing because of buggy terrain issues.

And they should totally bring back the multi plane thing, gripping FCs up cliffs in WSG with the entire enemy team on their tail had the entire group laughing for ages in guild rated BGs. "you want your flag back? PSYCH"

Deleted
    Lifegrip in PvE is fine, if used right. The range I sometimes do not like (e.g. Chimaeron p2 lifegrip whoever it is attacking, but failed due to out of range), however if played well you can get some very good lifesaving stuff in (Slackers on Valiona's breath, Tornado/Grounded, ..)

Quote Originally Posted by Elizaelrama View Post
    I forsee M..M..M..Multigrip in a future expansion

And they should totally bring back the multi plane thing, gripping FCs up cliffs in WSG with the entire enemy team on their tail had the entire group laughing for ages in guild rated BGs. "you want your flag back? PSYCH"
    i still wanna see a priest team line up and chain lifegrip a FC across the whole midfield

and as ive always said:

Lifegrip's primary purpose to help the feign deathed Hunter to share in the groups repair bill
    Last edited by reverendball; 2011-05-20 at 10:20 AM.

Leap of Faith is arguably the most overpowered spell in the game.

Originally I hated it before Cata/Beta. But after raiding (13/13 HM) it's amazing. Period.

Nearly every fight has a valid, stategic, reason to use it.