Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

[Movie] Top Five "Dark Ending" Movies of all Time

List your top five "Dark Ending" or "F'd Up Ending" (however you phrase it, like a wicked twist or such) movies of all time. Doesn't have to be in order, just your five fav's. Then if you want say your #1. Explain if you want why you picked what you did (don't have to of course).

Me:

The Road
    Surveillance
    Memento
    Inception
    Se7en

#1: The Road (dark ending, not f'd up - well, you could say it was pretty f'd up too)

If you are going to talk about the end of a movie, put up something like **SPOILER ALERT** or similar, so people can read this and then go enjoy the movies that are recommended (if they so wish).
    Last edited by cubby; 2011-05-20 at 04:10 PM.

I think you mean, "fucked"!

I watched the movie and then read the book, but my top one has to be Into the Wild. Smart but naive kid goes to rough it in the Alaska bush and starves to death, painfully. Real story, too.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    I do indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post

I watched the movie and then read the book, but my top one has to be Into the Wild. Smart but naive kid goes to rough it in the Alaska bush and starves to death, painfully. Real story, too.
    Oh, God, Into the Wild is fantastic.

Inception? I dunno, not really dark, just up in the air.

I gotta say the only one that really matters is Dr. Strangelove. You can't beat Peter Sellers or that magnificent bastard George C. Scott.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gamma Ray View Post

I gotta say the only one that really matters is Dr. Strangelove. You can't beat Peter Sellers or that magnificent bastard George C. Scott.
    But a truly twisted ending, sort of a "WTF Ending".

Quote Originally Posted by gamma Ray View Post

[SPOILERS BEYOND HERE]

If you look closely, his kids change clothes between his dreams and the end of the movie so...he isn't dreaming.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner_recall View Post
    [SPOILERS BEYOND HERE]

If you look closely, his kids change clothes between his dreams and the end of the movie so...he isn't dreaming.
    But that could be part of the dream . . . I mean, the only conclusive part of the story is the top, which is, well, left spinning, not unlike us.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    But that could be part of the dream . . . I mean, the only conclusive part of the story is the top, which is, well, left spinning, not unlike us.
    Fair enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    "the thing" for sure i mean everyone dies or is implied they died.
    "evil dead" the first one
    "invasion of the body snatchers"

Quote Originally Posted by gunner_recall View Post
    [SPOILERS BEYOND HERE]

There are so many theories on this movie its crazy. Everything has been so over analyze in it. I think its the directors intention to just leave it as a question whether their is any solid proof is questionable.

Either way I feel that this discussion is going to de-rail the thread so let us allow the OP's original question to be the only matter from here on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fight Club or Jacob's Ladder are probably the most twisted endings to movies I have ever seen.

I'd have to give the most fucked up ending to 'The Departed'. I really liked the movie until that point but I don't think I'll be watching it again for awhile because of the ending.

Other ones I can think of...
    -Secret window....good movie until the dumb ending
    -Dark Water....just dumb
    -Open Water...sorta based on a true story but still, talk about depressing.
    -Same thing for Into the Wild I suppose

Edit: Forgot a good (or bad?) one. The Matrix 3, that might actually take top prize, though I can't say I cared too much about it anymore by the end.....seriously, wtf....should have left the original movie alone and ended it there
    Last edited by PBitt; 2011-05-20 at 06:47 AM.

Deleted
    Nothing takes the ending in The Mist. Damn it was F*uped poor dude

10+ Year Old Account
    The Mist.

Can't think of 5 =\

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought Shutter Island was pretty decent, I haven't read Lehane's book so can't comment on that. Requiem for a Dream takes the prize for me tho, can't really find another movie that gets me down like that, maybe it doesn't really fit in this category since the whole film is dark and depressing. Can also recomend watching Funny Games by Hanneke, or any of his other movies as most of them deviate from the "standard" Hollywood endings.

I actually loved the Departed ending
    Main
    Epox
    PvP Alt (lololol Icelance)
    Zyke
    Decent Alts
    Nyli
    Ashuna

Deleted
    Looks like noone has seen The Mist in this thread? now that ending is F*ED up..

"Pan's Labyrinth", that was a really sad end in my opinion.

Deleted
    I really liked the ending in Identity.
    Also, my favorite movie "In Bruges" has a quite remarkable ending - I mean it's not mind-boggling, it's just that you (trying not to spoil here), despite the movie, somehow expect a hollywood ending. It's also #3 in this Misleading Movie Trailer list , if you don't wanna watch the movie yourself (which you should, it's so good).