Premium Content in WoW

So I haven't played WoW much lately but just from popping in here and on the official forums the last few days I've noticed that there seems to be a big hoopla over the cross-realm dungeons with RealID friends feature that is coming out soon. I personally don't care about this feature or mind that it will cost extra, mainly because I don't care that much about dungeons (now if I could do cross-realm raids and BGs, well, then I might care).

However, what's concerning to me is that there seems to be a lot of bashing on people who are worried about this direction by Blizzard. I've seen people write things like "It's only $3, you broke?", "It's all OPTIONAL, if you don't want to pay it, then don't", "You're making a Slippery Slope argument, quit your whining", etc

And this is what I want to say: It's fine if you disagree with those who are worried, but there's no need to bash on them. Most of the concerns have some valid basis for them and should be respected as valid, even if you disagree or aren't affected by it. The people who are bringing up their concerns are doing so because they care about the game and want to continue enjoying it with millions of others for the foreseeable future, which should be the same goal for everyone, and people need to recognize they are all on the same side and all want the game to continue to be enjoyable and fun.

So be nice to each other!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Slippery Slope"

That's mainly what I wanted to say, however, with regards to the arguments stated above, I would like to take a moment and address the issue of those who are worried Blizzard might introduce more premium content in the future and those that think such conjecture is a "Slippery Slope" logical fallacy.

The "Slippery Slope" fallacy is making wild assumptions with little to no evidence where you suppose that if Y happened, then X would probably happen and maybe even Z!
    Example: If people didn't have religion and only believed in evolution, then no one would value life and in a few generations we'd all be killing each other.

This, I would argue, is different than seeing a pattern (based on evidence of identifiable things that HAVE happened) and then looking at the logical next step to the pattern. Worrying about probabilities based off of observable patterns is something that scientists, political analysts, and many others around the world do on a daily basis and is far from logical fallacy. Some users have noticed several per-feature costs getting added into the game (Mobile Chat -> Cross-Realm Friends -> Premium PvP Competition) and now are looking at what the next logical step might be and making a prediction about possibly even Premium Raid Encounters if the pattern continues.

That is not fallacy. That is seeing a pattern based on observable evidence and making a prediction about the next step.
    You can disagree with his/her prediction and make a counter-prediction of your own, but that doesn't mean their prediction is without basis and a "Slippery Slope" argument.

Last edited by apinksquash; 2011-05-20 at 02:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im going to expect alot of angry blizzard supporters on this one again...

Either way. Yes i am worried. And because im already paying for my game, i don't think i have to pay more for in-game features.

You think there's a pattern there while others may think there is no pattern linking premium optional, non-gamechanging content to premium, gamechanging content. What more is there to say?

If you want to say there is evidence or a pattern that we will end up having premium features for game changing things like being able to buy gold, special buffs, gear, etc. then by all means post it.
    Last edited by Ineras; 2011-05-20 at 02:55 PM.

things cost money because they require a) additional equipment b) development c) constant maintenance (on top of all these same things from the base game).
    they also cost money because otherwise, the feature would be useless or even harmful for wow. imagine a mount that's free. what would be the point of that? they do this to celebrate their anniversarys already (with pets), and it's more than enough. imagine if server transfers were free. great, all the servers are now destroyed, because everyone transfers all their chars everywhere without thinking twice. same about race change, pets, faction change, appearance change, name change etc.

Deleted
    If they necessarily absolutely MUST do it, do like the pets. Keep it all out of gaining actual profit over others. As long as it's non combat I'm ok with it.

But yes I do agree that it sickens me to pay more to play with the people I hold dearest.

wait, so you know there have been lots of threads about this

and you went and made a new one anyway?

with nothing at all new in it?

there was about 10 pages of "slippery slope" discussion in various other threads
    go post there

/closed thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ineras View Post
    You think there's a pattern there while others may think there is no pattern linking premium optional, non-gamechanging content to premium, gamechanging content. What more is there to say?

I'll play Devil's Advocate here for the "pattern"...

(imagine this as a blue post sometime in the future)

"New Premium Raid Encounters for those paying 'Premium Members' is not game changing content, and does not affect the gameplay or game experience of those with a 'standard' wow account. Those standard account users still have access to the non-premium raids."