Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Could someone explain to me how 58C aka 140+F isn't overheating? I'm a nub when it comes to computers but that sounds pretty freaking hot to me.

Oh and also, every time I turn on shaders for Starcraft II my fan goes insane. Computer becomes loud as hell etc. Idk if I should do anything about it but it makes me a bit iffy even trying to play any games on their recommended settings on my computer.

Sry, inb4 rant. Why do people really care about the sound of fans? It necessary for the computer to not overheat/work properly. Music is made for keeping the noise away and also there's alot of good headsets that dampen the environment when worn. If you're not satisfied with that then i suggest that you should get water cooling

Didn't I tell you last time that you need to get rid of that unnatural fear of your computer, the LAST time you posted here? It's only making things worse. I could understand real fears, like fear of death, fear of losing someone else, but fear of your computer? Which has lead to some of you bizarre thoughts when it comes to the "safety" of your computer. Like running the same virus scanner multiple times, or leaving it off for a week thinking that it needs to "rest"

Like Fuzzy and others have said, get the air, do it yourself. If the laptop has a cover on the bottom that gives you more access to the fans, that's even better, since you can blow the dust from there, out via the vents in the side or back. You're not going to break anything unless you do something really stupid, and fear tends to make people do really stupid things.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Could someone explain to me how 58C aka 140+F isn't overheating? I'm a nub when it comes to computers but that sounds pretty freaking hot to me.

Oh and also, every time I turn on shaders for Starcraft II my fan goes insane. Computer becomes loud as hell etc. Idk if I should do anything about it but it makes me a bit iffy even trying to play any games on their recommended settings on my computer.
    SandyBridge can handle up to roughly 110c before serious damage is done. My workbench hit about 100 during Prime95, but didn't shut it's self down.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaith View Post
    Sry, inb4 rant. Why do people really care about the sound of fans? It necessary for the computer to not overheat/work properly. Music is made for keeping the noise away and also there's alot of good headsets that dampen the environment when worn. If you're not satisfied with that then i suggest that you should get water cooling
    You do realize water cooling uses the same fans as any other case fans, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    SandyBridge can handle up to roughly 110c before serious damage is done. My workbench hit about 100 during Prime95, but didn't shut it's self down.

You do realize water cooling uses the same fans as any other case fans, correct?
    Eh, throttle temp should be close to 95c and shutdown around 98c. Not exactly but pretty close.

Also with water cooling you can use more rad, especially ones designed for low rpm fans, and use said low rpm fans to keep te system virtually silent. Mine for example, is not.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    don't be so afraid to clean it yourself its just blowin compressed air thats all. Canned air won't damage your computer it just dosn't have the pressure but it does a great job of getting dust out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    Eh, throttle temp should be close to 95c and shutdown around 98c. Not exactly but pretty close.

Also with water cooling you can use more rad, especially ones designed for low rpm fans, and use said low rpm fans to keep te system virtually silent. Mine for example, is not.
    However, you STILL use case fans for water cooling, and you STILL need roughly 6 fans for a good push pull config rad.

Mine runs at 40-60 at full pelt. Depends on how hot it is, it's fine though. CPUs will throttle if they get too hot.

However, it doesn't hurt to clean it out once every couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    However, you STILL use case fans for water cooling, and you STILL need roughly 6 fans for a good push pull config rad.
    There's many ways to set it up, and water cooling doesn't end with a single 120.3 Rad. The less rad you have for a given thermal load, the more powerful your fans are going to need to be. Find your heat load, then find the fans you'd like to use, then find out how much of which Rads you need.

58°C is completly ok. Any CPU can handle up to 90-95°C.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine88 View Post
    58°C is completly ok. Any CPU can handle up to 90-95°C.
    Not AMD chips. The Phenom IIs tend to not like going over 62c. And, yes, I have one.

Deleted
    What Syntax said, more or less.

Max temperature is different from CPU to CPU. Older models, for example my old E6400, had a max temperature of 61.4C.
    The max temperature of your AMD Phenom 9550 according to AMD is 70C, so 58C is totally fine really.

Source: http://products.amd.com/pages/deskto...ookieSupport=1

Still, as others have said, cleaning your computer should be done frequently and if you haven't done it for 3 years well.. do it.

Deleted
    Get a tube of thermal paste and replace the old one. I recommend Arctic Silver 5.

Temperature thresholds for various CPUs differ considerably, but in no situation is 58 C overheating, especially while using a very inefficient game like Minecraft. Most(not all; check your model information) current generation CPUs can withstand regular operating temperatures of up to 70-75°C(depending on model) with no immediate damage. Extended use at these temperatures can reduce the lifespan of the CPU, with temperatures above 100°C representing potential immediate damage. Temperatures under 60°C are very safe, and you can expect a CPU to last several years if this is the hottest it ever becomes(CPUs don't often run at maximum load 24/7). Of course cooler is always better, so make sure you dust out the inside of your case regularly and monitor temperatures at least somewhat frequently to catch problems early.
    Last edited by Kanzel; 2011-05-22 at 12:45 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullblod View Post
    Get a tube of thermal paste and replace the old one. I recommend Arctic Silver 5.
    While a good tip it seems that the OP isn't that accustomed with computers and changing cooling paste can be tricky for people who don't really know what they are doing. I wouldn't recommend doing this for the OP as the CPU temps really aren't that dangerously high. Cleaning out the fans should do just fine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    While a good tip it seems that the OP isn't that accustomed with computers and changing cooling paste can be tricky for people who don't really know what they are doing.
    Not really no. I built my own computer from just looking at youtube videos. And from there I've learned so much. It's like adult lego and it's alot of fun as well once you learn it! Just make sure you ground yourself before you touch any component in your computer (either wear an ESD-bracelet or touch a radiator for a few seconds).

Deleted
    Not really no. I built my own computer from just looking at youtube videos. And from there I've learned so much. It's like adult lego and it's alot of fun as well once you learn it! Just make sure you ground yourself before you touch any component in your computer (either wear an ESD-bracelet or touch a radiator for a few seconds).
    OP said he was scared to use compressed (canned) air to clean his computer. Enough said?

It's a bad idea for someone who isn't accustomed to some of the ins and outs to attempt it when they're not familiar with it, even with videos. For example, a common mistake while using thermal compounds is using too much, and, especially among those which are a metallic base, these can potentially leak out the sides and cause shorts in the mainboard with poor application. There are dozens of videos that demonstrate incorrect ways to apply paste, and to the beginner something like this can seem fairly innocuous. It's better to not start with help from the internet.
    Last edited by Kanzel; 2011-05-22 at 12:54 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    OP said he was scared to use compressed (canned) air to clean his computer. Enough said?
    Yes, just trying to encourage OP to try it, as I was just as scared when I started.

I know someone explained it already, but I'll add..

A processor has millions of microscopic transistors inside of it, all constantly charging and discharging within it. That's a lot of energy and a lot of heat production. 58C is actually pretty cool in PC enthusiast circles. Overclocked Intel ball-to-the-wall processors safely go much, much higher.

All CPUs have a temperature range which if reached will shut itself down to prevent damage. If this failsafe is removed, CPUs can actually handle quite a bit more heat than their "max." Physically it takes a hell of a lot to get one to overheat and explode.
    Last edited by Tore; 2011-05-22 at 12:57 AM.

Deleted
    100% CPU usage and 58 C temperature PANIC!
    Have a fried eggs.