WoW randomly becomes non-responsive - Overheating?

Hey guys, so recently WoW has been randomly freeze while I'm playing. It doesn't matter what I'm doing (raiding, PVPing, doing archaeology) or where I'm at (it has happened in areas of high traffic like Stormwind, as well as dead areas like Blade's Edge Mountains). I then have to CTL+ALT+DEL (ALT-Tabbing doesn't work), see that WoW is "Non-Responsive" and then force quit.

Soooo, I decided to peruse the Blizzard support forums and found this article. I went through all of the steps (besides reinstalling) and so far I've not experienced the problem, but I'm worried that it is only a matter of time.

Anyway, the last "step" in that article is overheating/PSU issues. I know that my PSU is more than adequate, so I decided to take a look at my temps. I downloaded CPUID's Hardware Monitor and this is what it shows (while WoW is running):

Now, IMO the CPU temps are fine, but 172ºF seems awfully high on my GPU. I Googled normal temps for the 465, and most of then say <180ºF is okay, but I'm still worried. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid, but I wanted to ask what you guys thought? I'm running WoW on Ultra (1920x1080 resolution) and I get around 100FPS in highly populated areas.

Edit: I thought I should tell you that neither the GPU or PC as a whole is very dusty, although I am gonna clean it out just to be safe. I also cleaned up quite a bit of case clutter (moved wires around, got rid of ones I didn't need) when I moved into my new apartment, so air-flow is optimal.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2011-05-22 at 03:21 PM. Reason: More info

10+ Year Old Account
    78C on a GF100 chip like the GTX 465 should be totally fine. They are "designed to run hot". Heck my GF104 460's can reach over 80 and I don't give a damn.

Don't think the issue is in overheating. Don't have any bright idea of what it could be though. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    78C on a GF100 chip like the GTX 465 should be totally fine. They are "designed to run hot". Heck my GF104 460's can reach over 80 and I don't give a damn.

Don't think the issue is in overheating. Don't have any bright idea of what it could be though. :/
    Alright, thanks for your advice. =) Like I said: I ran through all of the steps suggested by Blizzard (including opening the ports for WoW - this is a new router and I had forgotten to do it) yesterday afternoon and it hasn't happened since so maybe the problem is fixed and I'm just being irrational. =P We'll know for sure if I make it through the raid tonight.

Deleted
    People make jokes associating Nvidia with fires for a reason. Their cards run hot, and they've had several incidents where various series of cards self-destruct because they tried to take it too far.

The GTX590 is a perfect embodiment of the NVIDIA philosophy.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-05-22 at 03:41 PM.