Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

"To drink, or not to drink? That is the question."

I am currently a theater student in college. After every friday performance, there is a cast party that mostly everyones goes to. Needless to say, there is alcohol everywhere. Even though I don't drink, I've been to a few before. The last 1 I went to, 1 of my best friends was there, and he doesn't drink either. We were both really bored since we were the only 1's not drinking or having a good time. So we both decided to never go to a cast party again. Well, a few weeks ago he went to a cast party, and got drunk. He apparently had just as good a time as anyone else there. It seems the only way to have a good time at parties is to join in and drink, which I refuse to do. So I am in quite a predicament: Whenever there is cast party, I always skip out and just go home. But this makes me feel much more detached from the rest of the department. Or I could go, and be bored out of my mind(messing with drunk people gets old after a while). My final option is to break 1 of my personal rules, which is to not drink. So I don't know what to do.

Drinking is fine as long as you can handle your liquor and aren't in danger of being easily addicted to things.

You don't have to go and get pants on head retarded. Have a couple beers or shots, get a little loosened up, and leave it at that. It's just a way to socialize with peers. Nothing wrong with that.

If it's a close knit kind of group, you'll want to be in on it, not that weird guy that never hangs out after the production.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

I don't see anything wrong with drinking, as long as it's in strict moderation. Getting addicted to alcohol or becoming a drunk is dangerous. Abstaining might save your life, might save your marriage, might save you thousands of dollars over the years.

Well, you do play WoW. SO you're already the weird one. No point breaking one of your rules just to impress a bunch of randoms you'll never see again after you finish college.

I'd understand if you had a self rule to not smoke, but not to drink? Alcohol is actually healthy when u dont drink too much, to get drunk once a week isnt THAT bad for your health and is alot of fun if you dont over drink.
    Last edited by Kebab; 2011-05-22 at 05:29 PM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Alchohol destroys lives and families. Moderation is good for everything in life. Dont cross that line.
    Operation Red Wing

10+ Year Old Account
    If it goes against your morals, don't do it. Fittig in isn't worth it.

I personally have seen alcohol wreck my uncle's family (his wife recently passed away to drinking waaaaay too much of it), also having been the son of a volunteer firefighter in a California college town, I have seen what happens to people that drink and get behind the wheel. I am never going to touch the stuff, if I attend a party where there is drinking, I am the DD, and I am a very sadistic one, screwing with drunks all the time. That is the rare times that I go to parties like that, which has been a total of two. Instead, I go to a church group Friday nights and afterwards, the groups typically go bowling, video gaming, playing sports etc. I have had much more fun with the sober friends in my church group that the times that I have been messing with drunken minds at parties. I have also gotten much better friends attending said church group, ad we often get together more often that just Fridays and Sundays.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't drink at parties either, and I realized I was wasting my time at them. Then, I drank for my first time at a party to see how it would turn out..

It was much more enjoyable. Just be responsible if you choose to drink, and you'll have alot more fun than you would have had sitting around being "that guy".

Deleted
    If you don't drink for some personal reasons you might not wanna discuss then fair enough (I have a friend like that). On the other hand if there's none of that involved then you should at least give it a try, you might like it

Deleted
    In my opinion, you just have to play the game and be bored out of your mind. You may not enjoy yourself there but people will at least appreciate that you're willing to go to the cast parties. It's a lot better than having a lot of negative feeling created out of your decision not to go. You may have people start to feel as though you're looking down on them and in my opinion, that can't bode well for the future.

Whatever you do, don't feel like you should be under any pressure to drink with them. If you don't want to drink, you don't have to drink. If everyone else wants to be drunk, that is their decision alone to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Kebab View Post
    I'd understand if you had a self rule to not smoke, but not to drink? Alcohol is actually healthy when u dont drink too much, to get drunk once a week isnt THAT bad for your health and is alot of fun.
    Actually there is nothing healthy about alcohol when you're drinking enough to become intoxicated.

1 small glass of wine per day is more than enough to get the proper nutrients....and even then...there are a million other ways you can get the same nutrients without consuming alcohol.

Hell, do whatever you want. If you want to drink, do it. If not, don't do it. Just DON'T drink just because "oh everyone else does it". Thats frankly retarded

drink. or do not drink. there is no maybe.
    someone else might have gotten it wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see how getting yourself drunk would make being at the party more fun >.> I don't drink I just mess with the drunk people, it's pretty entertaining.

Just because you're not drinking doesn't mean you have to sit around doing nothing ^.^
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2011-05-22 at 05:34 PM.

Deleted
    Parties are no fun if you are going with friends that drink when you don't. That is a fact. However there are solutions. Try going to go to a bar instead of a party where your friends won't get drunk. Go to a movie. Do a barbecue. ...
    Parties and alcohol go hand in hand perfectly. You will have a great time when you drink because nothing seems to bother you (people constantly pushing you, even spilling your or their beer) and bad music will sound awesome.
    I know of myself I will never break that personal rule because I hate drunk people (I really do and my friends know that. If they are drunk, I let them also feel that I don't like them anymore). I'll never drink alcohol except on traditions (like midnight on Newyear's eve, I'll drink 1 glass of champagne, for the meaning of it, not the alcohol).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Papertiger View Post
    Actually there is nothing healthy about alcohol when you're drinking enough to become intoxicated.
    Red Wine is good for antioxiants, I usually have a glass a week. Getting intoxicated makes me feel like crap so I try to avoid it.

Deleted
    I'd understand if you had a self rule to not smoke, but not to drink? Alcohol is actually healthy when u dont drink too much, to get drunk once a week isnt THAT bad for your health and is alot of fun if you dont over drink.
    Cigarettes can be healthy aswell. Better to smoke a cigarette when having trouble to go to the bathroom than to take some medicin.
    I don't think it is the drinking part that he doesn't want to do. It is something moral. I know people who hate alcohol because someone of their family hit them while he/she was drunk. I hate alcohol because I have seen plenty of people seen what they are capable of when having alcohol in their blood, I rather not drink alcohol at all than be like them for 1 night.

How is alcohol healthy? Aside from Red/White Wine.

Uhm the amount of alcohol which MIGHT be healthy to drink is actually pretty low, about 1 glass of wine a day, and scientists arent even sure of that. But each time you get DRUNK, millions of brain cells die a horrible, horrible death. I dont drink alcohol myself, not because of common sense but because 2 years ago i got pretty drunk, and since then just thinking of drinking alcohol makes me sick to my stomach. Strange but it saved me a lot of money so far i guess ^^

I actually love drinking, and even getting drunk. You have a extremely good time, and everything makes you happy and you can just enjoy your time. Tho, I'm abit of the "Party-type", so you might not enjoy it like I do.

I think you should try, in moderation as mentioned before. If you like it, you can continue and you'll soon find how much you prefer to drink. If you don't like it, just stay away from it.

You lose nothing from trying.
    When I want to log out, where's the save button? I can't find it anywhere, been logged in for three years now.