Monitor Problem (Refresh Rate)

I'm using a 22inch LCD Monitor (1080p) and I'm having a strange problem. Whenever I decide to run the monitor at 60Hz the screen goes REALLY unclear - unreadable, even.

When I change the refresh-rate to 50Hz the picture is clear, but not as clear as it could be. I discovered that for the best-possible picture I have to use 24Hz as my refresh-rate. The problem being the that there is mouse delay whenever I run my computer at this refresh-rate and it seems WoW is capped at 24FPS even when Vertical Sync is disabled.

I used to run a ATI HD Radeon 5550 and I changed the rate to 50Hz then because I had this problem. These days, I'm running a HD 6850 and I've received the same problem - that 24Hz is clearest.

What should I do to resolve this issue?

15+ Year Old Account
    That would be the refresh rate of your screen.

24HZ = 1 new picture every 0,041 seconds.

1. The reason behind the mouse lagg is that the screen will only refresh the mouse position at a rate of 24HZ.

2. The reason behind WOW FPS loss is because WOW cannot refresh its picture at a higher rate than what the screen can. Thus resulting in FPS loss.

FPS cannot exceed 100% of the screen HZ.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Thank you for the information.

Is there any solution for running my monitor at 60Hz with high-quality. When I do, the picture looks terrible.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quake Thee View Post
    Thank you for the information.

Is there any solution for running my monitor at 60Hz with high-quality. When I do, the picture looks terrible.
    I have no experience with this.

But if the quality is terrible, then chances are there is something wrong with your screen and/or graphics card. Seeing you have swapped graphics card once. Its probably the screen of yours.

- Prince Malchezaar

If you're using HDMI, try using DVI instead, and vice-versa.

Post your displays model info.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

Deleted
    Also, try downloading the latest drivers to your graphics card. Old drivers might be a problem aswell. Also, if your graphics card is Direct X10 compatible, try to swap it to 10 from 9, or vice versa. You can find that from the options menu.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kailtas View Post

1. The reason behind the mouse lagg is that the screen will only refresh the mouse position at a rate of 24HZ.

2. The reason behind WOW FPS loss is because WOW cannot refresh its picture at a higher rate than what the screen can. Thus resulting in FPS loss.

Explain 280 fps staring at a wall with vsync off?
    FPS can exceed the refresh rate at any given time, you just won't notice (other than the massive screen tearing). I think OP's problem may just be something else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    Explain 280 fps staring at a wall with vsync off?
    FPS can exceed the refresh rate at any given time, you just won't notice (other than the massive screen tearing). I think OP's problem may just be something else.
    280 FPS staring at a wall is what the game is outputing, but your screen can still ONLY display 60 of those frames per second. Thus resulting in wasted power, and occasionally screen tearing (though very very rare)

This isn't wrong, although the wording could have been a little better. To clarify WoW can output a higher FPS than the refresh rate, but the screen is still only refreshed at the specified refresh rate not at the FPS rate that is being sent to the screen. (In most cases although your screen might read that WoW is running at 100FPS only 60 of those frames actually gets sent from the graphics card to the screen, this significantly reduces the chances of screen tearing. Regardless of the Graphics Card processing 100FPS)

@OP: If you have a spare screen anywhere (even if you borrow it from your dad or brother etc..) plug that in for 10mins and see if you still have the same problem. As most likely the problem is the screen is faulty.
    Last edited by Djinni; 2011-05-22 at 09:04 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    280 FPS staring at a wall is what the game is outputing, but your screen can still ONLY display 60 of those frames per second. Thus resulting in wasted power, and occasionally screen tearing (though very very rare)
    Which is what I said, but Kailtas was saying you experience FPS LOSS by doing so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quake Thee View Post
    I'm using a 22inch LCD Monitor (1080p) and I'm having a strange problem. Whenever I decide to run the monitor at 60Hz the screen goes REALLY unclear - unreadable, even.

When I change the refresh-rate to 50Hz the picture is clear, but not as clear as it could be. I discovered that for the best-possible picture I have to use 24Hz as my refresh-rate. The problem being the that there is mouse delay whenever I run my computer at this refresh-rate and it seems WoW is capped at 24FPS even when Vertical Sync is disabled.

I used to run a ATI HD Radeon 5550 and I changed the rate to 50Hz then because I had this problem. These days, I'm running a HD 6850 and I've received the same problem - that 24Hz is clearest.

What should I do to resolve this issue?
    Is it connected through HDMI? There could be overscan issues (correct through catalyst control center) or picture enhancing options enabled if so. This is usually an issue encountered with many TV's, but can be corrected by going into the TV's settings and find "graphic" or "PC-mode" for the HDMI input. Some TV's (Samsung for example) have a special HDMI port (marked DVI) for PC

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    Which is what I said, but Kailtas was saying you experience FPS LOSS by doing so.
    Shouldn't do.. At least... not WoW's reported FPS rate.. the question then is where is the OP reading the FPS output? is it an addon, the built in game reporter or from the software that came with the Graphics Card?

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    wut? Every single game i've seen on any of my LCD monitors or other peoples i've seen, if VSync is off, I see it tear.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

15+ Year Old Account
    HZ = Refresh rate of monitors
    FPS = Refresh rate of applications. Or programs if you will.

HZ will bottleneck FPS but not the other way around. Thus having a higher FPS than HZ is impossible.
    Sure, having a program display a higher FPS is possible. But its false information.

In adition, regardless of FPS in WOW. The monitor will refresh at the correct HZ no mather what. So if WOW is running at 40FPS but the screen is running at 60HZ. So 50% of the Frames will be shown twice. This does not work the other way around.

So having a higher FPS than HZ is impossible. The program will just give you the correct FPS info.

- Prince Malchezaar

HZ = Refresh rate of monitors
    FPS = Refresh rate of applications. Or programs if you will.

HZ will bottleneck FPS but not the other way around. Thus having a higher FPS than HZ is impossible.
    Sure, having a program display a higher FPS is possible. But its false information.

In adition, regardless of FPS in WOW. The monitor will refresh at the correct HZ no mather what. So if WOW is running at 40FPS but the screen is running at 60HZ. So 50% of the Frames will be shown twice. This does not work the other way around.

So having a higher FPS than HZ is impossible. The program will just give you the correct FPS info.
    It's not entirely false. While you for sure aren't seeing that FPS over the refresh of your monitor, the GPU sure is calculating it that quickly.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Re-word that, having a higher FPS than HZ happens all the time - but noticing or physically seeing that extra FPS is impossible
    Having higher FPS than HZ is only "impossible" if you have Vsync turned on.

Oh and 120hz monitors ftw. If you have a decent system, go get one now.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    wut? Every single game i've seen on any of my LCD monitors or other peoples i've seen, if VSync is off, I see it tear.
    I've been using Samsung monitors for the better part of 10 years now... I've yet to see any of them "tear".. And yes.. I too went through that "fad" stage of trying to max out my FPS regardless of the impact it might have, so I regularly ran WoW with VSync off for about 6months achiveing 130ish FPS on a 60hz screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Re-word that, having a higher FPS than HZ happens all the time - but noticing or physically seeing that extra FPS is impossible
    Having higher FPS than HZ is only "impossible" if you have Vsync turned on.

Oh and 120hz monitors ftw. If you have a decent system, go get one now.
    Don't make it sound like thats a bad thing! Geez...
    120hz screens are rather overrated, not to mention that in most cases people don't notice whats already on their 60hz screen... (Not that i'd ever go back to a 60hz one out of choice :P)

I've used several Samsung monitors, and one I have on my desk right now is a Samsung. If VSync is off, it tears.