Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    I agree with almost everything here. The side quests made this game for me. Even after numerous replays I STILL haven't finished the main quest because I'd spend all my time doing side quests or random jobs for random npcs, exploring, fighting, tomb raiding etc. After several months I'd get a bit bored and move onto something else and remember, a few weeks down the line, that I had to go back and do the main quest. How long has this game been out? Sheesh.

Having said that, I hated the levelling concept they implemented for the game. The combat was awful and it pissed me off no end having to back peddle 7 miles whilst firing arrows at some monster just to bring it down. And then repeat ad nauseum. It made my style of play totally inefficient and worthless.

Now, Fallout: NV - that is a game that has given me a raging nerd on for the last 3 months non-stop. If anyone plays that on PC then I recommend they look for the New Vegas bounties mod set because it is almost like being back in the Dark Brotherhood guild. Except you are a good guy / gal.

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyLee View Post
    It sucked me in as soon as I left the sewers to be honest.

That view...

I mean...

Oh my...

God....
    Pretty much this. Or when you head to a city for the first time. Was pretty impressive when it came out (at least for me)

I was hooked while travelling to Kvatch from Weynon Priory. Via the forest, not the road...

Quote Originally Posted by Sissyfoo View Post
    I agree with almost everything here. The side quests made this game for me. Even after numerous replays I STILL haven't finished the main quest because I'd spend all my time doing side quests or random jobs for random npcs, exploring, fighting, tomb raiding etc. After several months I'd get a bit bored and move onto something else and remember, a few weeks down the line, that I had to go back and do the main quest. How long has this game been out? Sheesh.

Having said that, I hated the levelling concept they implemented for the game. The combat was awful and it pissed me off no end having to back peddle 7 miles whilst firing arrows at some monster just to bring it down. And then repeat ad nauseum. It made my style of play totally inefficient and worthless.
    I feel the exact same way about combat. And having to reapply poisons after EVERY SINGLE SHOT was simply tear inducing.

The thing about the main story, is that it just wasn't very compelling. Being told to wander around the world and close a dirge of Oblivion portals so that the cities could send more soldiers to a big fight is....well, boring. It certainly doesn't help that closing Oblivion gates is without a doubt the worst part about the game.

The characters that you meet on all of the sidequests are a lot more interesting than any of the generic/bland characters in the main story. There's just no driving force there for me to ever go and finish the main quest.
    Last edited by Senaelanna; 2011-05-23 at 08:07 AM.
    White Knights on mmo-champion.com forums: Able to troll with no repercussions!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    I logged over 300 hours on 2 saves, each.

Does this make me cool?
    definately does! thumbs up

i'd say go for Oblivion its amazing, played through it a few weeks ago, its just insanely awesome. and Skyrim will be godlike.

I missed the mystery and the feeling of helplessness that overcame me in Morrowind. It was fantastic to explore everything, and actually having to be careful of where you went. Many areas had entities in it capable of killing you with ease. In Oblivion literally everything scales to be easy to handle, even the armor on the enemies.

Hopefully they'll bring that back in Skyrim, without the players being forced to install mods to achieve that.

Oblivion? suck me in? no, never. after Morrowind Oblivion was a huge disappointment. it had it's good points certainly, but overall the game just lacked... well, depth really. the tutorial section was a bit too long (but not too bad, and mods made it skippable), the character customisation was a bit tricky to get right (although a definite step in the right direction) but it seemed to be full to the brim with potential
    but there were flaws, oh so many flaws... some just little things that shouldn't really have been as annoying as they were. the persuasion 'mini-game' for one thing was just blatantly ridiculous. if you go up to somebody and insult them, then compliment them, then bribe them and then threaten them that will not win them over. best case scenario you'll get a slap, worst case you'll get a padded cell
    and the trade system? ok it's been a while since I played it so I can't remember exactly, but I do remember that it was extremely irritating, especially compared to Morrowind's version
    as for the main quest, it was clichéd, predictable (hint, when you're attempting a 'twist' ending, don't tell players what it is during the previous game in the series) and frankly dull. every oblivion gate led to practically the same dungeon over and over, not to mention that despite having a practically top of the range PC for the time, the gates would still cause me to lag like hell whenever I was near one

about the only thing I really enjoyed about the game was the Dark Brotherhood, who had a great story with a few twists, and some really fun quests. especially the quest where you and several 'guests' are locked in a house and you can kill them off one by one making the survivors more and more paranoid all the time...

oh and the fast travel? it was infinitely better in Morrowind, you had a few portals, boats and silt striders which could take you to a choice of a few places. personally I'd have preferred that you could only travel to places you'd already been to once (with a few exceptions that would become active if you had a quest to go to a distant place, so the non-explorey inclined could still get where they needed to) and then it'd be pretty much perfect. still retains a healthy emphasis on exploration but doesn't force you to do it, and you have the convenience of fast travel when you need it or are in a hurry

the click almost anywhere on the map and teleport straight there method of Oblivion combined with the repetitive "haven't I seen this dungeon before?" and the FPS killing Oblivion gates of "ok I know I've done this one before" pretty much killed exploration completely

overall Oblivion didn't so much suck me in as just plain suck. I just hope Bethesda learned from it and that Skyrim can offer the best of Morrowind along with the few good points of Oblivion and offer a truly great game

I'll admit, I never tried the expansions for Oblivion, and there may by now be player-made mods to fix most of the things I disliked, perhaps some day I'll give it another go if that's the case, but for now I still have a healthy addiction to Dragon Age: Origins, I'll soon be buying Witcher 2 and I still have Morrowind which has a lot of new mods since the last time I played it...

Quote Originally Posted by Doirdyn View Post
    Even if combat lacks in Skyrim, the graphics and story will surely make up for it.
    graphics do not, cannot and will never make a game. the two most important things (in my opinion at least) are story and gameplay. everything else can be sacrificed to make those two stronger without harming the game. but neither should ever be sacrificed except for each other (ie: Gameplay/Story segregation)

Quote Originally Posted by Migas11 View Post
    Do you know what RPG i'd really like to play?

Fable.

Not fable 1, tlc, 2 or 3, no..... the "Fable" Peter Moulineux keeps talking about every time he is asked to comment on the game, since before fable 1 was released on the original xbox. The hability to ride horses and other things you promised us? sure that would be nice. And while you're at it, less anti-climax endings like fable 2 had please.... and please, really please, forget that silly idea you had to turn fable on an action game that breed with a drunken homeless sims....

/fablerant
    if he was as good at making games as he is at hyping them then Black & White and Fable would probably have convinced the entire worlds population not only that games were art but that they should hang up screenshots in all the fancy art galleries and rename them the Lionhead Art Gallery. don't get me wrong, B&W and Fable were both good games (don't get me started on the absentee Fable 2 though) but nowhere near what they were hyped to be, nor realistically could they be

Quote Originally Posted by Pantelija View Post
    I dont get it why people hate Oblivion and say things like storyline sucked etc

In oblivion u had a choice to roam and delay main quest where in other RPGs u are FORCED into doing stuff and u cant explore shit ,only see what they want u to see
    play Morrowind. it has all the good things Oblivion has just with more dated graphics, less voice acting and lacks most of the bad. it also had a main quest that was actually worth coming back to after you'd wandered off
    Last edited by rayvio; 2011-05-23 at 08:32 AM. Reason: responding to some replies

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    I've played Oblivion quite a bit, but it's never really "sucked me in". I've had to download tons of addons to keep interested in it, and even then, the voice acting makes me want to smash a brick over my head. There's just something about how they sound, or how the dialogue is written that annoys me to no end.

Maybe it has something to do with how it feels like there's only 2 voice actors for each gender/race combo across all NPCs in the game.

Deleted
    Things i disliked about oblivion:
    Loot, in oblivion there less point in looting random garbage, as it was either worthless or only worth 1 gold, In morrowind you could clear out pretty much anything in a house early on for a decent profit, I pretty much only looted food to use in alchemy.
    100% permanent cameleon = you win.
    Leveling system.
    Story.
    I lost the disc.

10+ Year Old Account
    In Oblivion, the character creation and level-up system sucked too much for me to get into it. The combat and story were okay. The exploration and gladiator arena were fun. My favorite thing to do was maxing my disposition with the "Admire/Boast/Joke/Coerce" activity with anyone that I could talk to, especially the hobos. Most of the voice acting and and graphics were good too.
    Last edited by Agoonga; 2011-05-23 at 08:31 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Migas11 View Post
    Yeah what the game had in storytelling and graphic qualities lacked in combat system...
    The storytelling was worse than All points bulletin.

---------- Post added 2011-05-23 at 08:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by pickley View Post
    Pretty much this. Or when you head to a city for the first time. Was pretty impressive when it came out (at least for me)
    You guys mean the bland green enviroments that kill the soul of even the most excited adventurer?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasers View Post
    Is there a certain point where this game really sucked you in? I remember playing it a few years ago when it first came out and just couldn't keep going after a few hours in. I really love medieval Fantasy RPGs, and just finished The Witcher 2. I'm trying to decide whether to give Oblivion another shot since Skyrim looks so amazing.
    if you're coming off tw2, i'd skip oblivion unless you mod it up to hell. my laptop runs the stock oblivion on ultra high, but tw2 on loooooow (18 of 20 settings at minimum.) i fired up tes4 today and it looks like a freaking joke next to tw2.

Deleted
    CONS:
    The main story did suck.. It felt clunky and you just repeated doing the same thing.
    NPC are retarded.
    The melee fighting system is just.... meh.... even worst when you have friendly NPCs around you.
    The game gave you to much hint what to do. I did like morrowind more coz you had to figure out where and what to do by your own.
    The dougons are all the same more or less.
    Fast travel makes big game realy small.

PROS:
    Good expansions.
    wonderfull world, much to explore if you dont use the fast travel system.
    Many ways to play it you can be what ever you want.
    Faction quests are good.
    Treasure hunting!

When it first came it was a awezome game, but it is now old and better games are out there that are alike. Fallout Vegas as one.
    But Elders Skrolls 5 looks amazing!

Oblivion

It's a great game,i really loved it.

Got me hooken the second i got out of the sewers,all these skills to level,plants to harvest,trolls to kill.

Good times

Deleted
    It was, and still is with the Fallout games, one of my favorite games ever made.
    Even if the combat is a bit lacking, theres just so much to do, so many side quests, good voice acting and the game just looks awesome

Maybe it was just nostalgia, but coming from Morrowind, Oblivion did kinda disappoint. The atmosphere of the world seemed a lot better in Morrowind than it did in Oblivion. Combined with a better main storyline, this is what sucked me into Morrowind a lot more than Oblivion ever did.

If you haven't played Morrowind yet, I would definitely recommend picking it up (there's numerous addons to make it look better if your computer is fast enough).

10+ Year Old Account

Oblivion mods.

To avoid making a second thread about Oblivion I'll ask this question here.

Having just bought Oblivion, what kind of mods would you recommend I download to start with? Keeping in mind I don't want any super op mods that make the game super easy.

Also I have played through the game before but that was years ago on my xbox.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by suttie View Post
    Having just bought Oblivion, what kind of mods would you recommend I download to start with? Keeping in mind I don't want any super op mods that make the game super easy.
    How about going the opposite direction and making the game more difficult and challenging?

If that sounds cool then you want FCOM. It's a bit of a hassle to install but it adds TONS to the game and makes it a lot more intense.

Just leave your ego at the door and be willing to run away if a fight is too much for you. It can and will happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, It sucked me in from the very start.
    If it weren't for oblivion, I would be the gamer I am today rpg wise.
    Can't wait for skyrim!

Ya the game is ancient now, however the best thing about it, is it's mods....keeps the interest going for a while, especially the skins and companions, and no I don't mean the sex mods, though those too are available. ;P

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/ca...s.php#Oblivion