Deleted

Nef 10m normal without perfect setup

Heya! Tonight we'll be attempting to down Nef again.
    However, I've been reading a lot, and from what I can gather we don't have many of the 'good' classes for it.

We don't have a mage, nor DK for kiting the adds (we do have 2 hunters though, anyone have experience doing it without Mage/DK?)
    Both of our tanks are warriors, and do not have the TB trinket. Healingwise we have a holy priest, resto shaman and resto pally.

I was wondering if you guys have any tips for us to down this boss with this less than perfect setup?

Thanks a lot!

Deleted
    Get one of the hunters to bring a turtle pet, station it where you intend to have the kiter pick them up in phase 3, and have both hunters MD adds onto the pet. Use the pets shell shield and other external cooldowns to survive.

The TB trinket isn't necessary, especially since you have two hunters. Switching to Aspect of the Wild before each crackle/electrocute lands is a godsend. Or your shaman could drop Resistance Totem/Glyphed Healing Stream Totem.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you push electrocutes in ph2 (we do two), you could have a hunter or shaman on each of the three platforms to cover Nature resistance.
    Reddfoxx the Warrior | @ReddfoxxMX | SWTOR Sentinel Reddfoxx, Marauder Reddfox @ The Harbinger Server

Since you have 2 hunters I would suggest just having a pet tank the adds.

Here is a Hunter Pet tanking guide I found ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHpJ9J6kZ64

Quote Originally Posted by Waervyn View Post
    Heya! Tonight we'll be attempting to down Nef again.
    However, I've been reading a lot, and from what I can gather we don't have many of the 'good' classes for it.

We don't have a mage, nor DK for kiting the adds (we do have 2 hunters though, anyone have experience doing it without Mage/DK?)
    Both of our tanks are warriors, and do not have the TB trinket. Healingwise we have a holy priest, resto shaman and resto pally.

I was wondering if you guys have any tips for us to down this boss with this less than perfect setup?

Thanks a lot!
    I did a few attempts tanking to help out a guild doing their first attempts.

Without any experience, the two hunters were able to accomplish the kiting surprisingly well. Two frost traps+entrapment (a root associated with frost trap for survival) worked very well.

A turtle pet works very well.

Do you have a feral druid or fury/arms warrior? They can tank the adds effectively.

Another option is to have the holy pally use righteous fury and get them all on him. From there you can trap 2 w/ freezing trap to ease the damage.

Deleted
    Thanks for the quick replies! Very helpful!

We don't have a druid either unfortunately. We do have 2 warriors, but they're both main tanks, so I guess it'll be down to the Hunters (or maybe the holy pally). Thanks a lot for the suggestions, we'll try it out tonight!

Cheers

any plate dps can do the adds. or a feral druid going bear of course.

Deleted
    Survival works excellent for kiting the adds in phase one, just stick a healer on him just incase.

Deleted
    P1 and P2 are the "hardest" of the encounter. It makes sense to minimize your time in these. This is true for both normal and heroic. The way we usually handle the boss with the guild is, we have a dps "tank" the adds on the outer rim of the area, and let em all die in one nice big pile. The hunters pets like suggested can serve this purpose. Push onyxia down ASAP to minimize time in p1. Do not dps Nefarian too hard in p2, no electrocutes. Then just wear him down in p3. It is really the easiest part of the whole fight that p3. Just have 1 tank handle the adds and tank em on the outer rim circling and Nefarian in the middle. Move the adds only when boss is about to cast Shadowblaze. It really does take much less of an effort even though p3 takes a lot longer. The tank handling the adds has to watch out not only for shadowblaze , but also electrocute and not being behind a pillar when it happens (not that big of an issue on normal). There is many variations on how people like to do this, but i would suggest this to minimize stress on healers and the raid. The only one that has to work harder is the offtank handling the adds in p3, but that responsibility comes with the tanking already doesn't it?

Lots of vids around to be found about it aswell.
    Last edited by mmoc09bd5679bb; 2011-05-23 at 01:46 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Keulanaama View Post
    P1 and P2 are the "hardest" of the encounter. It makes sense to minimize your time in these. This is true for both normal and heroic. The way we usually handle the boss with the guild is, we have a dps "tank" the adds on the outer rim of the area, and let em all die in one nice big pile. The hunters pets like suggested can serve this purpose. Push onyxia down ASAP to minimize time in p1. Do not dps Nefarian too hard in p2, no electrocutes. Then just wear him down in p3. It is really the easiest part of the whole fight that p3. Just have 1 tank handle the adds and tank em on the outer rim circling and Nefarian in the middle. Move the adds only when boss is about to cast Shadowblaze. It really does take much less of an effort even though p3 takes a lot longer. The tank handling the adds has to watch out not only for shadowblaze , but also electrocute and not being behind a pillar when it happens (not that big of an issue on normal). There is many variations on how people like to do this, but i would suggest this to minimize stress on healers and the raid. The only one that has to work harder is the offtank handling the adds in p3, but that responsibility comes with the tanking already doesn't it?

Lots of vids around to be found about it aswell.
    Thanks! So you don't push any 'crackles' in P1/P2?

Deleted
    Hunter pet solves all, especially since you have 2 hunters which means u can even use 2 pets for it. just be sure to dismiss and summon dps pet after
    Edit: you push 2 crackles in phase 1 its all you can manage realistically. Then burn the rest of the crackles in p3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Waervyn View Post
    Thanks! So you don't push any 'crackles' in P1/P2?
    Thats how we usually do it. And p3 should really be the "easiest" phase since much more dmg going around in p1 and p2. Adds hit for naught against a shield tank. In p1 there is another Dragon to contend with and in p2 the constant shadow barrage. In p3, there is just Nefarian, minor add dmg, and crackles every now and then. Atleast i feel it is the easiest that way. Also, everyone having the Tol'barad reputation trinket (Mirror), it also helps with electrocutes in p3 to even further mitigate dmg, especially on the tank that is tanking(and sort of kiting) the adds.