Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Oh look, another Dragon Age thread. Why I am completely unsurprised that it's chock-full of mindless DA2-bashing and a bunch of RPG fans throwing around their Platonist rhetoric about what a "real" RPG really is?

Origins was an overhyped, mediocre game, but an extremely polished one, a polish that really carried the game. DA2 was a far better game in its fundamentals, but lacked that same polish. I enjoyed both, but I enjoyed DA2 more, most notably because the combat was intelligent and satisfying and the characters were actually involved in the story. Regardless, the franchise is well-constructed and very entertaining, so I'm looking forward to DA3.

What's wrong with having multiple dialogue options that are far more realistic, rather than 'PARAGON OF JUSTICE AND HOLINESS', 'LOLLER LOLS AND SARCASM' and 'EATER OF BABIES'? Don't like games that make you think or somethin'?
    Yes, because real people consider 5-10 precise sentences in a list before choosing how to continue a conversation. Try it the next time you talk to one of your friends; let me know how it goes.

Like it or not, the dialog wheel is much, much closer to how humans actually think and form their sentences, which is why it's been such a successful feature. The dialog lists of the past were contrived yet effective solutions to the architectural limitations of game design at the time, not holy relics that pointed the way to God. Your refusal to shift your paradigm is not the concern of game developers.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    He was so awesome. I mean, he was an evil mastermind, yet also a troubled soul..... And yes the voice actor... OI OI OI!
    I tend to rage really hard whenever I think about games like the Baldur's Gate series, then look at games now. I can barely find a good game with a deep story or enticing gameplay nowadays. It infuriates me when people say things like, "Those games are good just because of nostalgia." If the games where only good because of nostalgia, I'd play them every once in a while. I still have BGII, Icewind Dale, Might & Magic VII, and many other games installed on my system, and I play them on a daily basis. Hell, I even have a DOS emulator to run my AD&D: Eye of the Beholder and TESII: Daggerfall.

I also get very sad. Thats why I spend most of my time researching past games instead of future games. There are too many gems that have been forgotten.
    I mostly play fighting games these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm gonna sound so much like a whiner, but I didn't like MaB that much either, now THIS could be because I constantly fought bugs after bugs, and that the character I had was suckier than a true sucking suxx0r, but I found it meh, not as bad as Storms of Zehir though :P
    I encountered few bugs in MotB, you seem to mention a lot of bugs in both MotB and NWN2, so I'm wondering if perhaps there is another issue here.

And yeah, Storm of Zehir is a purchase I truly regret. The basic idea within it was good, but it was horribly, horribly executed.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Your opinion, most people didn't see it that way - also NWN2 wasn't made by Bioware.
    Well obviously it's my opinion :P
    Though you cannot say that the graphic wasn't bad, it looked like a very early ps1 game, even with everything maxed. Just about every other rpg and what not, looked ten times better at that point. Though I did think that Bioware made it, my mistake.

---------- Post added 2011-05-25 at 08:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kankuri View Post
    I tend to rage really hard whenever I think about games like the Baldur's Gate series, then look at games now. I can barely find a good game with a deep story or enticing gameplay nowadays. It infuriates me when people say things like, "Those games are good just because of nostalgia." If the games where only good because of nostalgia, I'd play them every once in a while. I still have BGII, Icewind Dale, Might & Magic VII, and many other games installed on my system, and I play them on a daily basis. Hell, I even have a DOS emulator to run my AD&D: Eye of the Beholder and TESII: Daggerfall.

I also get very sad. Thats why I spend most of my time researching past games instead of future games. There are too many gems that have been forgotten.
    Couldn't agree more. In my world, the best game EVER made was Age of Empires 2, there will never be anything better.

---------- Post added 2011-05-25 at 08:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I encountered few bugs in MotB, you seem to mention a lot of bugs in both MotB and NWN2, so I'm wondering if perhaps there is another issue here.

And yeah, Storm of Zehir is a purchase I truly regret. The basic idea within it was good, but it was horribly, horribly executed.
    I did have a MASSIVE amounts of bugs in MotB that's for sure, but still, I didn't find the story that overwhelming... But meh :P
    Last edited by Venziir; 2011-05-25 at 08:01 PM.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Couldn't agree more. In my world, the best game EVER made was Age of Empires 2, there will never be anything better.
    I lost many, many, many hours to that game. The online multiplayer was the bomb. Now that I think about it, Age of Empires 2 is what introduced me to the RTS genre. I picked up Age of Mythology when it released, and I had a blast with it as well.

Thanks for making me sad =/
    Last edited by Kankuri; 2011-05-25 at 08:16 PM. Reason: gramer erors
    I mostly play fighting games these days.

I loved DA1, I junked out on it hardcore.

DA2 I rushed to finish, it was the first Bioware game I was disappointed in. Such a rush job.. everything was recycled. You could feel the CAVE_TILESET1 in the background because you'd "explore" the same 3 damn caves but use different entrances for each one, or have them arbitrarily cut off.

Was a huge letdown... ME2 actually improved on ME1 and made the franchise better, it's a shame they couldn't pull the same off with DA.

Was there ever any doubt that there would be a DA3?

I liked DA2 myself. I loved the storyline, but the same old environments through the whole game was rather irritating. Overall, DAO was a much better game and I hope DA3 returns to a style more like that (except for the combat system - I liked DA2's combat system much more than DAO's).
    Last edited by Oerba Yun Fang; 2011-05-25 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    That gave me a good laugh, thank you.

He was so awesome. I mean, he was an evil mastermind, yet also a troubled soul..... And yes the voice actor... OI OI OI!
    David Warner is an amazing actor/voice actor. I wish he would do more voice work but I imagine he is up there in age by now.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Kankuri View Post
    I lost many, many, many hours to that game. The online multiplayer was the bomb. Now that I think about it, Age of Empires 2 is what introduced me to the RTS genre. I picked up Age of Mythology when it released, and I had a blast with it as well.

Thanks for making me sad =/
    Seriously, Age of Empires 3 was a gigantic let-down, still good, but NOTHING compared to AoE 2, and this isn't just "nostalgia" this is fucking facts >.>
    Instead of making this Age of Empires online brainfart, redo Age of Empires 2... NAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOW!!!!!!!

Or just a Age of Mythology 2, I mean AoE online... Jeesh...

---------- Post added 2011-05-25 at 09:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    David Warner is an amazing actor/voice actor. I wish he would do more voice work but I imagine he is up there in age by now.
    Quite so, quite so

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann