15+ Year Old Account

Does this sound like a scam?

I have offered my services through craigslist to do some computer work - and now I'm worried I gathered some attention from a scammer.

They want to send me 7 HP laptops to reformat and install windows xp SP3, office, adobe, and AVG.
    They want me to run diagnostics for the hardware, then have a "shipper" pick up the laptops from me.

He wants me name, addy, and cell phone number, so they can send a check in my name for the total I want to charge, and to ship me the laptops.

Just sounds like a scam to get my personal information and my address for someone to potentially break in and/or mug me, etc., or just for them to write me a check, to have it be fraudulent.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? It all seemed legitimate until the last e-mail asking me for all of this, and I had no idea this would require shipping.

I sent an e-mail back expressing my hesitant nature dealing with the shipping, asked where they were located, and for their business name if they had one.

Does anyone know if a money order or cashiers check can later be voided? Looking for the most secure method of payment humanly possible if I end up going through all of this. Obviously, cash may not be an option.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meet them in a public place.
    Never take a check.
    Bring a friend.

These are all things I've learned through doing business over anon. sites.

Also, if local law permits, obtain a gun license if you're that concerned. I may be a little over sensitive, but after hearing about the kid who was killed when he was found over craig's list, you can NEVER be too careful.

Also, if they have 7 hp laptops, I'm going to assume they have a business. Offer to meet them at their place of business. (IF it looks like a warehouse or something, as opposed to an established business, I wouldn't go in.)

10+ Year Old Account
    pay-pal. or cash.

---------- Post added 2011-05-24 at 01:35 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Meet them in a public place.
    Never take a check.
    Bring a friend.

These are all things I've learned through doing business over anon. sites.

Also, if local law permits, obtain a gun license if you're that concerned. I may be a little over sensitive, but after hearing about the kid who was killed when he was found over craig's list, you can NEVER be too careful.
    this. or a tazer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meet at a Starbucks or something, that's what I always do when it comes to Craigslist. I only deal locally-ish and in person.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like stolen laptops to me. And the payments would most likely be canceled or faked. Meaning, in the end, you're the one that gets caught, no them. And if they DO get caught, your info is now associated them because you gave it to them, now you're in a Fed case of a crime ring. I'd suggest you steer clear.

10+ Year Old Account
    its a scam.

http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25263
    Few other ones as well.

Hold everything until whatever payment is offered clears the bank. If payment fails, take the whole lot and everything you know to the cops asap. Might even be a good idea to go ahead and get your local cops involved and set up a possible sting.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontlikeyou View Post
    That is literally the exact set of e-mails I received, with HP instead of Dell. Thanks for the heads-up.

I'm disappointed, I was REALLY looking forward to the extra cash.

EDIT - is it worth it, before completing the deal, to contact the police? Is there any way to prosecute this? Or should I just put them on ignore and forget about it?

Craig's list is an easily accessible public forum where money is almost always the bottom line in any thread, so there are tons of scammers skimming those boards on a daily basis looking for easy targets. You have to be extremely cautious when buying and selling on craig's list. I use craig's list all the time, but I only deal with local sellers/buyers and I always meet them face to face for anything over $100 if it involves me either shipping or recieving. Just play it safe and go with your gut. Be especially wary of people that offer to pay for something before they even do business. A friend of mine got caught up in a federal investigation a few years back because he was operating a computer repair business online and got an offer from someone similar to what you mentioned. Turns out the computers were all stolen from a government facility...

[Edit]
    If it seems like it's too good to be true, it is.
    Last edited by Duckie; 2011-05-24 at 06:07 AM.

I don't know that the email itself is prosecutable but I do know that once you have a bad/fake check in your hands it's prosecutable. Why I recommended going to the cops with what you have now to possibly organize a sting.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fishy as hell. Tell them to go away.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its a scam for sure... He wants to pay you extra, and then have you pay his shipper i bet. I got the same email like 2 years ago doing the same services. Dont fall for this
    Last edited by sureshot; 2011-05-24 at 06:25 AM.

99% of the time if they're saying ANYTHING about shipping, it's a scam. The few times it's not, you'll usually notice the way they say(type) things is a bit different. I get people trying to scam me all the time with stuff I try to sell. "It's for my son who is in western Africa" Paying you more than you asked, plus a fair amount for shipping, more than normal. I had one guy ask about some RAM, but the way he "sounded" in the email, not to mention his email address looked like a normal Florida based Time Warner email, didn't scream "scammer" like the others did. He was no scammer, paid me via PayPal for the RAM and I shipped it, no issues. Talk to them first, if it's legit, you'll know. But don't expect it to happen often.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    That is literally the exact set of e-mails I received, with HP instead of Dell. Thanks for the heads-up.

I'm disappointed, I was REALLY looking forward to the extra cash.

EDIT - is it worth it, before completing the deal, to contact the police? Is there any way to prosecute this? Or should I just put them on ignore and forget about it?
    Don't ever ever EVER EVER accept a check from someone you don't know. It's a scam to obtain your bank information (along with personal info) for identity theft purposes.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a trap.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    It's a trap.

Sorry, had to do it :P

Anyway, if that isn't a scam, I'm not using this PC I'm currently typing on.

If it's real I just created a paradox and we all know dividing by 0 isn't the best idea.