Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    LOL@Religion...

10+ Year Old Account
    A cornfield by a raceway with a tornado flying through (Indiana)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokann View Post
    Funny how the whole idea collapses once you think logically about it.
    It is quite funny.

I'd be more surprised about this kind of completely irrational behaviour if I hadn't been witnessed the sales of things like Y2k survival kits firsthand. I don't usually condone scam artists, but I am almost convinced people who fall for this tripe deserve to be fleeced.

Heck, I'm pretty sure attempting to discern the end of the world according to the Bible is considered blasphemy anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by omglaserzpewpew View Post
    Despite what the majority of people believe, most Christians are not stark raving mad. Sure, there are some, but it would be equally unfair of me to assume that all of you who are consistently bashing Christians (and the mods who look the other way when it happens) are terrorists, pedophiles, and murderers. After all, you know what they about generalizations.
    I'm aware more Christians are not "stark raving mad". But I just find it impossible to believe that there are thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of christians out there, who believed this despite the bible teaching to not follow false prophets, and that only god would know when the rapture will come.

As I said, I am an atheist myself, and never been religious, but if something is holy / sacred to your belief, as is the bible to christians, why would you dis-regard it?

Anyway - My point wasn't so much about christians themselves, but the fact that any idiot would believe this crazy old man, who has made now two false predictions, each time blaming it on maths. I get frustrated when people just can't see the truth right in-front of them. This isn't really a matter of opinion. His own religion, logic and common sense tells us all, that he is wrong, yet millions where wasted in this "Rapture" scam.

That is what annoys me.

His original 'prediction' was that the rapture would begin in May and slowly kill us all off and then a giant ball of FFFFUUUU fire would blow up earth on Oct 21st. I like the comment of people following him saying 'oh it started, we just haven't seen it yet'. Those poor people. Also, i feel bad for anyone who gave up all their money/stuff to that hack. Some site said he made over 30million in donations over the last few months from his followers.

Quote Originally Posted by Toator View Post
    and then a giant ball of FFFFUUUU fire would blow up earth
    That's actually going to happen in 5 to 7 billion years, but the planet will be vaporized instead of blown up.
    I guess that's what gave him the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Toator View Post
    His original 'prediction' was that the rapture would begin in May and slowly kill us all off and then a giant ball of FFFFUUUU fire would blow up earth on Oct 21st.
    Actually, his original prediction was back in 1994. Yeh.. you'd think this guy would take a hint.

I never put any credence into what "Mr. Camping" said. Theories bred out of religious fanaticism are almost certainly wrong. December 21st, 2012, however...scares me. That particular realization was made about our GALAXY at a time when "civilized cultures" thought the world was flat and that the Earth was the center of our solar system. The Maya had no business understanding something so abstract. Perhaps ancient man was smarter than we give him credit for, or perhaps he knew something that we don't. All I know is that our solar system will align with the center of our galaxy (where most people believe there is a large black hole) on that date. We obviously don't know what that means...but I'm more inclined to believe in that fact than in some moron's predictions about the rapture.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    That's actually going to happen in 5 to 7 billion years, but the planet will be vaporized instead of blown up.
    I guess that's what gave him the idea.
    Yeah i know that, but that isn't because god or whoever hates us and wants to kill us all. It'll be because of the sun, an asteroid, a comet, ect.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornar View Post
    Actually, his original prediction was back in 1994. Yeh.. you'd think this guy would take a hint.
    I know the first was in 1994, but i was refering to his original about the 21st of may 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    All I know is that our solar system will align with the center of our galaxy (where most people believe there is a large black hole) on that date. We obviously don't know what that means...but I'm more inclined to believe in that fact than in some moron's predictions about the rapture.
    The alignment is a regular event.
    The black hole in the center is already known and changes absolutely nothing, since it can't really influence objects more than a few light years away from it.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-05-24 at 07:05 PM.

If I make up a random dooms day date, will I get as much publicity as he does?!

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Only if you add 10% more crazy then normal!

I don't know how many people are familiar with the Bible, but in the book of Revelations, it states very clearly that we will not know the day or time of the Apocalypse. People should stop trying to figure it out and just live their lives to the fullest. If it happens, it happens. I'm secure knowing when the time comes, I'll be a part of the Rapture. My mom jokingly says she won't be. "God needs someone to yell at Satan when he comes knocking at the door."
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Only if you are a christian. They tend to be in media spotlight for such reasons so the media can basically "take the piss" out of them. As has been done with this chap.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    Hey now, let's see you try and make up some numbers out of the bible (based on anything really, as long as it's from the bible) and then configure them in a way that makes a relevant date without some error.

smartypants
    It's quite easy to see that the bible says the earth is only between 6000-6200 years old. Based on when Jesus was born, the ages of various characters and their timeline etc.

http://www.creationtips.com/earthsage.html

Fail!

phew another 5 months to reinforce my zombie fortress... lucky!

May 21st was merely a set back?

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    The black hole in the center is already known and changes absolutely nothing, since it can't really influence objects more than a few light years away from it.
    Do you know that for certain? What if the black hole is already ejecting something that we can't detect? Supermassive black holes (such as M87) can have ejections 6500+ light years long. Our Milky Way galaxy is 90,000 light years in diameter. Would that really not affect us? Nobody really knows if/how it would...but to say for certain that "it won't" is pretty naive.

The sad thing is that every natural disaster that happens in this 5 month period (earthquakes, hurricanes, volcano eruptions) will be taken as a "proof" from his followers, regardless of the fact that these are regular events and there are tens of thousands earthquakes each year.

Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    Do you know that for certain? What if the black hole is already ejecting something that we can't detect?
    It's been determined that it's most likely inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Doobs View Post
    ofcourse he does otherwise he looks like a twat.... oh wai...
    Dude.. look at him.. his world is ending any day now. He won't live another 5 months if nature has got anything to say about it.