Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

[Movies] Best Viewing Order for Star Wars

As the title says:

What's the best viewing order of the Star Wars movie series? The old movies first or the newer ones?

I believe they are intended to be watched in chronological order (I-VI), which would make sense; there are certain elements in the newer ones that may help explain things that happen in the older ones...

Personally, I'd watch old then new, or some things will be ruined for you.

Having seen them all multiple times and being a believer in saving the best for last, I would watch them I-VI as they, in my opinion, get better as you go "back in time" so to speak. Not that I think RotJ is the best (I'm a fan of ESB), but IV-VI are definitely better than I-III. That said, my fave of the new ones was RotS. Watch Phantom Menace first just to get it over with IMO lol

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I loved the original movies, but I think that I am definitely in the minority when I say that I like the newer movies better. I don't know what it is about them, but I just find them to be more enjoyable. I think that I like seeing more of the actual old republic.

Anyways, my suggestion would be to watch them in order from I-VI.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaronicity View Post
    Having seen them all multiple times and being a believer in saving the best for last, I would watch them I-VI as they, in my opinion, get better as you go "back in time" so to speak. Not that I think RotJ is the best (I'm a fan of ESB), but IV-VI are definitely better than I-III. That said, my fave of the new ones was RotS. Watch Phantom Menace first just to get it over with IMO lol
    Yeah, this poster shares my sentiment. They may not be quite as flashy and modern as I-III but IV-VI are simply better, imo. That said, you could get away watching IV-VI first then going back and watching I-III to learn some backstory on the already developed Vader...or you could watch them in order. Frankly, it doesn't matter.

Also, Empire Strikes Back is definitely the best of the 6. ^_^

Rathalir Emberlight of the Crystal Desert realm

Grew up watching 4-6 and would have to say they might be the better half of the triliogy.

Hands down though when qui gon and obi wan burn through a huge metal door in 1 and anakin and obi wan's duel in 3 surrounded by lava is just epic in all senses of the word

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is what you do.

Watch 4, 5, then 6. Then you take 1-3, and you burn them without watching.

watch 4-6...and dont even bother with 1-3. Crap compared to the oldies

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    its new surprise depending on how you watch them, note Luke I am your father is now not a surprises if you got 1-6 over 4-6 then 1-3.

I got 1-6 now but I 1st saw them as a kid 4-6 then 1-3. I like the new one more as I like the Old Republic ere more then the later.
    Last edited by Solzan Nemesis; 2011-05-24 at 05:10 PM.

Episode I and II, then watch the Clone Wars cartoon series (2003). Once that's done, then Episode III to VI. The Clone Wars animated series (2008) occurs during Episode III, so not sure how you'd like to fit that in.

I just prefer the story order of things.

Watch them in order, from I-VI. Because if you start off with IV-VI, and then watch I-III, you'll hate yourself forever.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sethlol View Post
    As the title says:

What's the best viewing order of the Star Wars movie series? The old movies first or the newer ones?
    Best viewing order: 4-5-6, place 1-2-3 in a fire and watch them burn. Dashield totally beat me to that answer so:

Best viewing order: New Hope, Empire, Jedi, and then the Red Letter Media full length reviews of 1-3. You will get to know the entire story and everything key to the saga plus you will actually be entertained rather than wanting to break something.
    http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-05-24 at 05:17 PM.

I recommend watching them in order 1-6.

Deleted
    I-VI, makes most sense in terms of storyline etc

Chronological release order ofc.

4,5,6,3 and 3 being completely optional
    1 is awful
    2 is mostly bad but a few good bits
    3 is watchable

Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    4,5,6,3 and 3 being completely optional
    1 is awful
    2 is mostly bad but a few good bits
    3 is watchable
    Basically this.
    3 is the only one that is watchable of the newer ones

Here's what you do. Take Episodes 1-3 and return them to the store. Then sit down and watch the actual star wars series which consists of 4-6.

Original Trilogy: 4, 5, 6.

There is no Prequel Trilogy. It does not exist. Only parts 4, 5, 6 exist.

Also, there are no sequels to the Matrix. None.

I live in a happier world.

If you really need to see the prequels then watch those first. The originals will then cancel out the suck afterwards.