Thread: Ram

Deleted

Ram

When does RAM stop being useful? As in amounts of RAM.

I find 8GB is the limit where you stop seeing improvements in 90% of applications

It depends what you do. If you just game you dont need more then 4gb

well that depends entirely from person to person.. if u mean everyday usage like surfing the internet and playing games 8gigs is plenty and even 4 gigs should be enough. if u gona photoshop several verry high rez pictures at a time while playing some songs and sirfing on 30 tabs it might not be enough.

Ya I'd say even 8 is to much
    depends on how much shit you do though

depends on the type of sticks you buy as well.

Deleted
    I'd usually have like 50+ tabs up in my browser, around 15-20+ word documents, couple of ppts, some spread sheets and throw in some music. Then if I'm editing interview footage, yeah the extra RAM helps me:P

Deleted
    It depends on OS.

32 bit - can only use 2GB RAM
    64 bit - can use 4GB

You cant even use half of the 8GB RAM you've bought so it sounds like you got ripped off to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanggaxx View Post
    It depends on OS.

64 bit - can use 4GB

You cant even use half of the 8GB RAM you've bought so it sounds like you got ripped off to me.
    Uh what? Your kidding right.
    32 bit is like 3.something
    64 bit depends on what your motherboard can hold

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on OS.

64 bit - can use 4GB

I giggled.
    Hun, the old i7's had something near 24GB's of RAM. (4 x 6 = 24)
    (Wow, it feels weird calling the 1366 socket old...)

Deleted
    Lmao @ can only use 4gb, that's one of the weirdest QFTs I've seen all day.

The 32 bit operating systems can use slightly less than 4GB from what I've seen, and the 64 bit can use...enough. You'll should never have the problem with not enough RAM.

Personally I find anything >8GB to be slightly overkill for day to day, but I'm sure people could find reasons to have in excess of 20.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scryus View Post
    Personally I find anything >8GB to be slightly overkill for day to day, but I'm sure people could find reasons to have in excess of 20.
    Server's and Virtualisation being the main two, followed by Video editing / Graphics design.

It depends on OS.
    64 bit - can use 4GB
    Not quite: (assuming Windows) msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7
    Even if a different OS its not that far off. Dare I ask where you came up with those figures?

OP: Depends on what you are doing to how much is "needed". Such as running a single WoW client vs running 4 clients. Obviously more ram would be beneficial to the later. Add in any possible CPU/GPU/HDD bottlenecks...

Dont know exactly when it stops being useful but as cheap as it is at the moment 4GB should be required. I went with 8GB of DDR3 Dual-Channeled, just use this comp for homework (Comp Science student), and gaming so i dont even come close to using it all at any point in time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by darkgrip View Post
    Even if a different OS its not that far off. Dare I ask where you came up with those figures?
    Probably confusing it with LAA limitations.

32-bit no LAA: 2gb maximum
    32-bit LAA: 4gb maximum (3 on 32-bit Windows)

Above is per-process.

I would say 6-8GB for most gamers is plenty. The only time I had a problem with my old system is when I would multi-box with 6GB installed...

Proud Officer of Gwen Stefani on the Blackhand-US Realm

Deleted
    Seems everyone is about the same opinion, with 8gb being the "ceiling". I do however know a guy with 24gb of RAM, he only plays wow and SC. Sadly he's got more money than sense:P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Seems everyone is about the same opinion, with 8gb being the "ceiling". I do however know a guy with 24gb of RAM, he only plays wow and SC. Sadly he's got more money than sense:P
    4x6 or 6x4 >.>

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    4x6 or 6x4 >.>
    3x8 last time I checked.
    Seriously don't get my started on this guy. He makes all PC specs I've seen on here look like toys, moron spent close to 5k on his current rig.

Lets put it this way, he runs the 6990 in CF. Has burned up 2 of them OCing. No idea how he stills gets RMAs.
    Last edited by mmoc5ec8505a9d; 2011-05-25 at 04:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    3x8 last time I checked.
    Seriously don't get my started on this guy. He makes all PC specs I've seen on here look like toys, moron spent close to 5k on his current rig.

Lets put it this way, he runs the 6990 in CF. Has burned up 2 of them OCing. No idea how he stills gets RMAs.
    3x8? I hope he has X58...
    Wait until I get my new build together and wired up.

3x8 last time I checked.

Because a smart OCer can cover his trails and not get caught for doing that

---------- Post added 2011-05-25 at 08:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    3x8? I hope he has X58...
    Wait until I get my new build together and wired up.
    Yes, otherwise he loses the insane 3% memory performance boost from using dual channel. Oh noes.