Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account

That doesn't seem that awful for a plain old HDD though...

---------- Post added 2011-05-27 at 03:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by frott View Post
    Hmm, infracted for responding obviously to an obvious post? OK, let me clarify.

You ask "why would it be my motherboard" and follow it up with "I could upgrade my motherboard before it got bad."

Apologies that I can't follow the logic here.

You would like to separate your "sata controller on your motherboard" from "your motherboard," even though they're hardly separate. Fair enough.
    What you use has a problem that you were apparently aware of, didn't repair, and now it isn't working.

Is your question on the timing of the degradation, hinted at by "already?" That has been all over the place, from immediately zeroing out to taking weeks.
    This is due to the load you put on it and voltages across the system.

Are you trying to explain this to people? You answered your own question by linking to the information regarding the recall, which, again, you were already aware of.

So I'm not sure what your goal is here, as you opted out of a recall and are now seeing the issues regarding why the motherboards were recalled. This is why people say the motherboards are faulty, they have bad components that you can't simply replace without returning the entire motherboard (or you are a cyborg and can resolder microscopically).

You can keep running tests, I guess, or whatever it is you're trying to solve, but the bottomline here is that the controller on your motherboard, thus your motherboard, is faulty.
    You can use other ports, controllers or an external controller as an option.

The way that SATA ports degrade cause random issues all variable due to the amount of information, the position of the data, voltages in use and load at any given time. This is why it isn't working consistently or predictably, this is why it isn't all programs, this is why sometimes things run fine for a bit and other times the crashing is immediate.

Further - if you're using a bad port on the motherboard, you are likely to cause all sorts of other issues with other components on the motherboard in the long term. This is another reason for the wide scale recall, and even more randomness thrown into the equation. You could, for example, break an unrelated component due to shorting or voltage seeping, you could also lose or corrupt data.

Just because one part of your motherboard isn't working doesn't mean the entire motherboard won't fail. The electricity that would be happily going through the port now has to go somewhere else.
    Allow me to educate you, since you're severely misinformed.
    The degradation was projected to be experienced noticeably around the one year mark.
    Also, the SATA controller doesn't immediately degrade. It wouldn't be degrading if it immediately zeroed out.

I realize that it could be the motherboard. I also know that there are OTHER issues such as malfunctioning hard drive. I didn't come here to hear people preach self righteousness.
    Also, the electricity WOULDN'T be happy to go somewhere else. Learn your electronics.
    If you're insulted when you're obviously breaking the rules, this place is NOT for you.

My goal wasn't to opt out of recall, it was to see if I replaced my motherboard, if I'd just get kicked in the ass because something ELSE is broken, that isn't the mother board.

The "Health" tab is where you want to look. Benchmarking it won't tell you much unless its in very very bad shape. The 20ms is kinda slow, but anyway. Check the health tab for current pending sectors or current reallocated sectors. Would be highlighted in yellow.

Deleted
    sounds just like the sata 2. Just put it in the sata 3 port, like others have said. If the problem still exists, its something else

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Visioned View Post
    The "Health" tab is where you want to look. Benchmarking it won't tell you much unless its in very very bad shape. The 20ms is kinda slow, but anyway. Check the health tab for current pending sectors or current reallocated sectors. Would be highlighted in yellow.
    Everything shows up as fine. Gahhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post

---------- Post added 2011-05-27 at 03:27 PM ----------

Allow me to educate you, since you're severely misinformed.
    The degradation was projected to be experienced noticeably around the one year mark.
    Also, the SATA controller doesn't immediately degrade. It wouldn't be degrading if it immediately zeroed out.

I realize that it could be the motherboard. I also know that there are OTHER issues such as malfunctioning hard drive. I didn't come here to hear people preach self righteousness.
    Also, the electricity WOULDN'T be happy to go somewhere else. Learn your electronics.
    If you're insulted when you're obviously breaking the rules, this place is NOT for you.

My goal wasn't to opt out of recall, it was to see if I replaced my motherboard, if I'd just get kicked in the ass because something ELSE is broken, that isn't the mother board.
    Actually, it was 5% over 3 years, but that was with casual loads and not server loads.

Those that have reported "immediate" degradation simply have to do with the timing of the errors. You can go a while without directly noticing it since it will just be transfer lag, you can have an error that essentially corrupts an install. Both have been reported.

Of course the electricity has to go somewhere, that's what port degradation IS. Looking at: http://www.guru3d.com/fullimage.php?image=28807 the reason these failures are occurring is that the instructions are not making it to their destination. This can cause surges or misallocations. You should look at the "health" tab to see if you can see the errors relating to your problem, not a harddrive speed benchmark. Above shows what it looks like, and how it doesn't take "years" to happen.

The point of my post is that by using the faulty port you could easily have broken other things. So the answer to your question is yes.

Back up your data, wipe the hard drive and put it into another system to see if it's damaged.

Sorry for the initial harshness, but your question still seems to be tautology to me and didn't really refer to your new statement of "i wanted to see if other things could be the issue" when that's screaming out as being the obvious culprit.

For reference I've had to deal with sandybridge i7 macs not reliably running PGP WDE due to these "minor long term" problems causing immediate errors.

Out of curiosity, do you have your computer set to hibernate after a certain amount of time? I know my 1st motherboard (pre-recall) would BSOD every time I tried to wake it from sleep. Could be part of why it doesn't respond when you come back home.

While it could be a HDD problem, it could also be memory related. Firefox freezing at start up, when stuff has to get loaded into memory...WoW loading slower, when stuff has to get loaded into memory... seeing a pattern here? Try running a memtest and see what that brings up. If nothing else it can help eliminate a potential culprit.

10+ Year Old Account
    My computer doesn't hibernate. It stays running all the time. :<

You don't see the massive drop in read time around the 350-400GB mark? Either your hard drive is damaged or you're suffering from the Sandy Bridge SATA port defect.

Edit:
    My computer doesn't hibernate. It stays running all the time. :<
    This is probably why you're getting hit with the SATA bug earlier than expected: constant usage. The 1 year estimate is for a casual to medium user.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Articuno View Post
    You don't see the massive drop in read time around the 350-400GB mark? Either your hard drive is damaged or you're suffering from the Sandy Bridge SATA port defect.

Edit:

This is probably why you're getting hit with the SATA bug earlier than expected: constant usage. The 1 year estimate is for a casual to medium user.
    Fuck it. I'll solve it by throwing money at it. Thread over. >.>

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Fuck it. I'll solve it by throwing money at it. Thread over. >.>
    No reason to get angry... some people are sort of right, you've pretty well answered your own troubleshooting question.

1) Pre B3 P67 chipset.
    2) Issues with SATA and/or data errors from mass storage.
    3) Estimated lifespan of circuits assuming average usage.
    4) Computer is always powered on (triggering more degredation).
    5) Partial chance your bad P67 could be even worse due to binning variety (similar to overclocking potential of certain chips, or how AMD bins quads to tri-core's when they don't meet QA standard).

All of this... I highly doubt it's something else.

Estimated degredation times were also best-case scenarios. There had to be P67's that were already failing for Intel to discover the problem, as well as test to confirm it.
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a motherboard that was recalled, but I opted not to take the recall since I was going to upgrade it before the SATA port hit the shitter.
    When they say the flaw "will affect 5% of the users after 3 years" but in the same time do a massive recall estimated to cost them over one billion dollars in revenue repair etc, doesn't THAT ring a bell that they PERHAPS stretched the truth a little on how "insignificant" this flaw was?

5% in three years that is something they could cover up or just replace for those affected after three years, saving LOTS of money. They decide to do a massive recall.

Take no chances. Replace mobo!