Deleted
    How many subscribers do you think the game has atm?
    How is pvp doing, lots of action going on and are the factions balanced?

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    PvP is the most imbalanced next to rift PvP. It seriously isn't worth it and there has been no mention of updates for it. The main problem with it is gear imbalances and attacks doing more then they should (they need to alter what some abilities do to remove their OPness) and being a healer in PvP pretty much sucks.

and their monthly updates are being slightly delayed atm.

Deleted
    Being a healer in PvP is either being a complete bitch or an unkillable elephant. Once you're fully kitted out in the Q10 gear you can have about six people beating on you until they get bored and walk off. Good luck killing anything though. There's no "mana" system per say, so it becomes stun race and hope you can chain enough as a group to DPS him/her down before he can get off a heal. Until you get that gear though enjoy being free kills for everybody else.

Factions are relatively balanced but it depending the server there might be a slight advantage. Cerberus has a fair few more Illuminati, Arcadia has more Templars, etc. These numbers are rarely that high though and Dragon can overpopulate Templars sometimes, Illuminati can, etc. What you tend to find is more Templars during European peak times and more Illuminati during American peak hours. Coincidence? Doubt it. Anyway it only really matters in PvP, but it is pretty damn balanced.

From what Funcom said they've been having trouble getting people to actually buy the game but people who do so stay subscribed (not a lot of drop off compared to say... SWTOR). I've noticed the population has balanced out pretty well from the pre-launch buzz. You run into players all the time, zone-wide LFG is always busy for that zone's specific instance, the lack of a division in terms of country means you'll see a consistent number of players loitering Agartha at all hours.
    Last edited by mmoc8a29730aed; 2012-09-08 at 12:46 PM.

Heavily PVE story oriented game, on a monthly episodic update schedule.

It's essentially the equal quality opposite of GW2 imo. TSW's pvp is similar quality to GW2's pve, and vice versa.

If you played both it'd probably tick just about every box most people would look for in an MMO.

There are roughly 250k subs. There has been good retention; people who buy and sub mostly stay subbed.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    and their monthly updates are being slightly delayed atm.
    Only one issue was delayed, the issue due out at the end of Sept is on schedule.

Deleted
    I think they dug themselves into a ditch with boasting monthly updates. It gives this sort of entitled (as much as I HATE using that word) mindset to a lot of people. 1.2 is delayed by two weeks? FUNCOM SUCKS. AOC ALL OVER AGAIN. THIS IS THE WORST MMO EVER. I HOPE RAGNAR DIES. It would have been better to release that contently monthly, but don't black and white make the promise it will always arrive on that time very month or they're setting 'emselves up for a fall.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    There are roughly 250k subs. There has been good retention; people who buy and sub mostly stay subbed.

Only one issue was delayed, the issue due out at the end of Sept is on schedule.
    Good retention? Fumcom has already stated that they've moved most of their focus from TSW to this new Lego MMO thing. As for TSW *sigh* I REALLY want to like it, but the actual gameplay makes it hard, that said I'm somewhat enjoying the game it self. Made it to Blue Mountain so far yay hah.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Good retention? Fumcom has already stated that they've moved most of their focus from TSW to this new Lego MMO thing. As for TSW *sigh* I REALLY want to like it, but the actual gameplay makes it hard, that said I'm somewhat enjoying the game it self. Made it to Blue Mountain so far yay hah.
    They've moved focus to the Lego game, but they haven't moved a lot of people off TSW since they did the layoffs. They are still dedicated to TSW, but I agree with what CHALET said, they're setting themselves up to fail with the promise of monthly updates. I also agree with you that the gameplay doesn't feel right.

Blue Mountain's a pain, but you'd do well to find a questing partner if things start to get too rough (it'll happen lol). I used seeing Egypt as my motivation to finish, that zone is one of the best-done zones in an MMO that I've seen.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    They've moved focus to the Lego game, but they haven't moved a lot of people off TSW since they did the layoffs. They are still dedicated to TSW, but I agree with what CHALET said, they're setting themselves up to fail with the promise of monthly updates. I also agree with you that the gameplay doesn't feel right.

Blue Mountain's a pain, but you'd do well to find a questing partner if things start to get too rough (it'll happen lol). I used seeing Egypt as my motivation to finish, that zone is one of the best-done zones in an MMO that I've seen.
    Heh it's rough already. I went to Blue M way too soon, my poor little templar is not overly fond of the Wendigos there, should head back to the Savage Coast -even though I don't really feel like it. The illumati idiots in that area are just too much for my little guy.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    why no category for TSw here? FC not paying advertisements?

There are roughly 250k subs.
    What if i told you the game did not sell over 300k copies and there are less than 150k subs, wouldn't be surprised if it was even less than 100k active subs. Look up the report funcom released on the 28th of august.

I am not saying the game is bad, i actually have life time sub and i play it everyday. It is just the game not doing well business wise.

Quote Originally Posted by mandus View Post
    What if i told you the game did not sell over 300k copies and there are less than 150k subs, wouldn't be surprised if it was even less than 100k active subs. Look up the report funcom released on the 28th of august.

I am not saying the game is bad, i actually have life time sub and i play it everyday. It is just the game not doing well business wise.
    I'd say you're pulling imaginary figures out tbh. The information we've got at present is "sales in the 12 month period are expected to be less than half the conan like scenario" (which was 1,050,000 in sales), "More than 200,000 players have purchased [TSW]", and "player feedback and retention seems strong".

Certainly not a successful launch - they stuffed up the sales & marketing pretty thoroughly apparently. I can certainly see the logic in your sales estimate, but there has been no subscription data released therefore anything on subs is nothing other than a guess.

As an aside, the sales figures in the Q2 report are prior to the game being released on Steam but after they'd started getting a gauge on sales. Therefore one would have to assume their Q2 estimate of (presumably) ~400-500k sales for the year is more grounded than their (wildly optimistic imo) initial projections.

The rest of Funcom's financials aren't anything I'd regard as particularly wonderful, but they're also actually quite passable. They're a couple of years off being in any serious issues if they didn't bother fixing anything, and the cost cutting they've been doing is precisely what's required from a financial PoV. I'd actually be watching them if I invested in that currency, tho admittedly largely out of personal interest & as a potential takeover target.

From a player PoV, the unified servers approach will certainly help them with any population issues. When people from different servers can be seamlessly merged into a shared zone or split into multiple instances of a zone based on total systemwide population, they can ensure that even a low pop MMO would seem busy.

It is a shame the marketing on a good game was handled so badly, it's lead to a lot of unnecessarily gloomy predictions for a game that actually looks like it's well set up to grind out passable returns in an adverse environment.

I agree that it's good enough to keep playing every day and it's frustrating to think that non-game related perceptions could keep people from enjoying an excellent game. My gut feeling is that it'll end up being another Eve in terms of community support & longevity.

PS. I also liked the recent quote from Ragnar on Funcom's attitude to the game's reception & ongoing development:

No worries, we're definitely not going to make TSW into a generic MMO. That would be counter to our whole philosophy. In fact, we'll probably use this opportunity to make our game stand even further apart from the rest.
    Last edited by lakhesis; 2012-09-10 at 08:23 AM.

Deleted
    Monthly content update Issue #2 coming tomrrow! Can't wait, super excited already!!

Now that's it's public knowledge, I'm sad to say Martin Bruusgard isn't with Funcom anymore I'm just glad he was able to find new employment right away.

Edit: Issue #2 delayed one more day. Sept 12th now.
    Last edited by Sj; 2012-09-10 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahjane View Post
    edit: Issue #2 delayed one more day. Sept 12th now.
    they're all liars and we can never believe them again!!

Deleted
    Apparently there were some pretty damning bugs (Nightwatch glyphs were turning into regular ones) that needed to be ironed out. Not surprised.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09...uncom-anymore/

: (

This game is like, a bad news machine for those involved with the development. Here's to hoping they do the smart thing and make a F2P/Freemium transition soon. I'd definitely be happy to jump in and drop a couple bucks here and there and I know a ton of others would be as well. I'd love to see this game really succeed (because it's damn cool), but what they're doing right now doesn't really seem to be working too well.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post

This game is like, a bad news machine for those involved with the development. Here's to hoping they do the smart thing and make a F2P/Freemium transition soon. I'd definitely be happy to jump in and drop a couple bucks here and there and I know a ton of others would be as well. I'd love to see this game really succeed (because it's damn cool), but what they're doing right now doesn't really seem to be working too well.
    It was fun kicking his butt in fightclub T_T

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post

Urgh.. I really hope they don't.

Every single game on the market seems to be doing this nickel & dime "f2p"/freemium, where both the players & the company are trying to manipulate more money/stuff out of each other for as little input effort as possible on their part. I can see the appeal - everyone loves "free" stuff and, amazingly enough, more people will try something if it's "free" - but I'd much rather see an extended trial system rather than a F2P... Rift is doing it, so it's not just a WoW thing. Plus Rift & TSW are the two regular-update focused MMOs on the market, so there are similarities there.

TSW is well setup to be able to go "F2P". They might do it. But I find the prospect deeply, deeply unappealing. Forum audiences are hardly a good representation, but the thread they had on their general forum some time back had an average poster age in the mid 30's. It's not like that sort of audience needs to select games based on how much money they can get out of mum & dad.
    Last edited by lakhesis; 2012-09-11 at 08:19 AM.

I'm here to spread doom and gloom!

Apparently Funcom isn't doing well financially. They've recently even had to resort to selling off their television commercials and trailers to other gaming companies!

(I kid, I kid, obviously. But seriously, WTF was that?!?)