Quote Originally Posted by Angrah View Post
    I've been in the beta all morning and find the combat to be a step backwards and the gameplay feels slow..... yep made me bored (My opinion is it doesn't live upto the hype).

Luckily since it was only a beta I could cancel my preorder with Funcom and go on my merry way without so much as a tremor to Funcom.

WRONG, Funcom are not refunding preorders if you have played the beta, they consider this as having received the game.
    So the $65 I have wasted on Funcom is an expensive lesson in not trusting them ever..... you would have thought I would have learnt from AoC.

Angrah

p.s. Just a warning to those thinking about preordering. Don't unless you are sure and then not from Funcom but a local store who don't mind if you cancel and order as you will be back for something else.
    Pretty sure you pre-purchased, not pre-ordered. Very few places I can think of will give refunds for pre-purchases (especially online). That's kinda your fault for pre-ordering early without apparently waiting to try the beta or waiting to hear beta feedback from other players.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Pretty sure you pre-purchased, not pre-ordered. Very few places I can think of will give refunds for pre-purchases (especially online). That's kinda your fault for pre-ordering early without apparently waiting to try the beta or waiting to hear beta feedback from other players.
    The only way to get into beta though for a set time was to pre purchase or get randomly selected for closed beta which is like a slim chance, after the pre purchases happened you could get beta for free from the secret war on facebook.

Was just a slap in the face tbh.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

I got into this weekends beta through Gamespot.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I got into this weekends beta through Gamespot.
    which also nobody knew about till after the pre purchase guarentee beta.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Well I don't know about you but I would never make a purchase unless I'm sure I want the game. I certainly wouldn't make one just to get into a beta.

Quote Originally Posted by bcbully View Post
    You don't get it That's cool cuz you haven't ran into one of these. They don't tell you what too look for. They point you into the direction. The clues are obtuse, and open for interpretation.
    I like that they have more involved quests, but I'm an admittedly lazy quester and am terrible at puzzles. If they had a super quest helper (that you'd have to enable in the options) that led your around these types of quests for people like me, I think I'd enjoy it much more. I like the setting and story, but I don't like feeling lost all the time or frustrated by lack of information in game. Doing a web search isn't fun to me and really takes me out of the game.

And the female models are the worst I think I've ever seen. Saw someone on the forums refer to them as Planet of the Apes rejects and that's exactly what I felt.

The Secret World - 1080p Beta City Tour Max Settings

Hey guys just a look at London during The Secret World beta. All settings on max.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpVDHCAXnfY&feature=plcp

Cheers Sanktus

10+ Year Old Account
    Having played in the OB for the past night and will be going back in this morning, I will say that I can't WAIT for June 19!

Yes, the game's rough. The combat system, looks, and will probably stay a little clunky. This is from MMORPG's website, after they did a write-up on TSW:
    "EDITOR's NOTE: Since publishing this article, we've heard some feedback from Funcom about our concerns with character creation and the animations. Director of Communications, Erling Ellingsen, told us that the character creation is indeed very much limited in this beta build, and will be more fully fleshed out in the future with options and the like. As for animations, Erling explained two things. One is that there are many animations which are not yet final in this build. The second part is that because of the team's decision to allow characters to move while casting skills, they had to untie the upper body from the lower body in the animations. This means there will be times when swinging a sword or using your fist weapons will look odd, but it's the price they've had to pay for allowing players the ability to move while attacking at any time. Basically, it becomes more difficult to structure animations that always look perfect when the characters can't move during the animations. "

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...ys-Shroud.html

My personal thoughts on the game:

Character Creation: It's already been said, but the current CC is atrocious. Every face is generic and the clothing options to start with are limited. I really hope we'll see a more finished CC prior to the end of the beta weekends.

Missions: Investigation missions ROCK! My husband and I have started a TSW Journal at home, where we are writing down codes as we come across them. Also, he and I have been doing completely different missions. We just started on different ones, and kinda following the stories in our own way. I really like that while there are prerequisites for certain missions, it's fun to go to certain HUBs, do some quests, come across a new mission, pause one of the other ones, and then do the new mission.

I like missions.

Combat: Feels clunky, but as said above, it sounds like the price we're paying to move and fight at the same time. I'm not sure if I really agree with that, as I've seen other move and fight MMO's that look more smooth, but combat is NOT a game breaker to me, as it's currently OK enough for me to not mind it too much.

Cutscenes and writing: Brilliant! Simple as that. The writing in this game is excellent, and I hope it stays true throughout the rest of the zones as well as in future expansions and whatnot.
    This passion is a plagiarism.

Combat isn't so clunky when you realize that you can queue up one skill ahead of time. I was spamming the same thing multiple times before I realized it.
    Also, I can neither confirm nor deny that a lot of the issues you guys have as far as char creation or what not aren't on the version of the game people can't talk about.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my opinion, for a "real world" game the combat is way to slow. They should shorten those cooldowns significantly. Cut them by a third or even half. The pace of combat should be faster. Health is also too high in my opinion too. You shouldn't feel comfortable taking a break to number two, while six zombies are chewing on you. So, faster pace to combat and more player vulnerability.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    In my opinion, for a "real world" game the combat is way to slow. They should shorten those cooldowns significantly. Cut them by a third or even half. The pace of combat should be faster. Health is also too high in my opinion too. You shouldn't feel comfortable taking a break to number two, while six zombies are chewing on you. So, faster pace to combat and more player vulnerability.
    Head to the scrap yard and tell me what you think. Once you leave the town it turns into a mean scary place.

The combat and questing starts out painfully slow, but once you get into the game about 15-20 hours, the questing picks up wonderfully. Once you start getting enough abilities, especially outer-ring, the combat becomes much much more fluid and interesting. The auto-target deal is a little wonky, but it does help. It's sort of a pseudo-dual-target system where you can select a friendly and a hostile at the same time, which helps when you're using leech healing and the like on a teammate.

The PvP is set up pretty phenomenally. After 3-faction warfare, I don't think I could go back to the standard 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the end, the quests are cool and the setting is amazing, but the awful graphics and combat kill it. If there weren't multiple other mmos out right now that are pretty successful it would probably be fine, but I would rather play swtor, tera, gw2, or even rift when I need a break from WoW. Just too much competition to make a pay to play game with f2p graphics and animation.

All new games, especially in beta have problems. But I really can't see this being on the AoC engine. If it is, something is very wrong with it, and not really fixable in a beta period of time.

The DX11 and the lighting/reflections really stand out. IMO the graphics look awesome, but the textures are not that great.

Also, Is there going to be sniper rifles In this game? I saw one In the crucible but there wasn't a quest for It to try It.

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    The DX11 and the lighting/reflections really stand out. IMO the graphics look awesome, but the textures are not that great.

Also, Is there going to be sniper rifles In this game? I saw one In the crucible but there wasn't a quest for It to try It.
    Yeh I saw that Sniper aswell got me wondering, but since on the wheel there isnt a sniper points I guess there wont be

If you could actually aim your damn weapons like In Tera, then this game would be an incredibly good contender against other MMO's.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Yeh I saw that Sniper aswell got me wondering, but since on the wheel there isnt a sniper points I guess there wont be
    Weapons don't change functionality based on their appearance, only their type. A sniper rifle would function exactly the same as any other rifle; just like how two 9mm pistols work the exact same as two uzis, since they're both pistols.

Kind of disappointing, especially in the case of pistols which just look terrible when used right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Matheren View Post
    Weapons don't change functionality based on their appearance, only their type. A sniper rifle would function exactly the same as any other rifle; just like how two 9mm pistols work the exact same as two uzis, since they're both pistols.

Kind of disappointing, especially in the case of pistols which just look terrible when used right now.
    IMO, all of the guns are awful. There's no sense of recoil what so ever, you just stand there shooting while walking slowly backwards or forwards.
    Maybe there's some abilities later down the road that makes guns enjoyable, but first Impressions are bad right now.
    I'm going to try melee weapons tomorrow to see If their any more enjoyable.

Deleted
    After playing a bit more, it seems the 'No levels and no classes' thing is basically not true.
    There are levels, there are just no level numbers. You gain exp until you fill the bar and get a skill point - that is leveling. Some mobs are much stronger than others (Scrap yard things p0wn you) and some players are much stronger than others, so essentially they are levels, you just can't tell what level things are in relation to you until you fight them. (+Immersion I guess)
    The weapons are basically classes, but you can change class. If you skill up one weapon and you change, you go back to only having 2 abilities and spamming 1 all the time which is boring as hell so really your stuck with the playstyle of one weapon until you skill up your next one in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaul View Post
    After playing a bit more, it seems the 'No levels and no classes' thing is basically not true.
    There are levels, there are just no level numbers. You gain exp until you fill the bar and get a skill point - that is leveling. Some mobs are much stronger than others (Scrap yard things p0wn you) and some players are much stronger than others, so essentially they are levels, you just can't tell what level things are in relation to you until you fight them. (+Immersion I guess)
    The weapons are basically classes, but you can change class. If you skill up one weapon and you change, you go back to only having 2 abilities and spamming 1 all the time which is boring as hell so really your stuck with the playstyle of one weapon until you skill up your next one in advance.
    So if you call skill points (recently add so that new toons were not gifted the best gear in game as soon as the log in) levels then there are like 500 levels So it's not really a level. It is vertical progression though

There is a 50 page thread on the official forums talking about this. Someone in the thread near the end said "Well we have decided, there are levels, but there's no levels."

It is definitely something different

edit- there are no classes. form a group for a dungeon, you will understand.