10+ Year Old Account
    Targetless? I'm pretty sure that 100% of the time I used an ability it targetted something. And I fail to see how TSW's combat is a bastardization of GW2, when GW2 isn't close to release...

TSW has been in development since 2002 in various forms and it's been full steam since 2006. Work on GW2 started in 2007. Discussions happened in 2006.

I enjoy the combat. It IS lame at the lower levels, but once you get to Blue Mountain, you have to move, you have to snare and root. Not just standing there.

---------- Post added 2012-06-18 at 04:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Didn't know that. Hopefully they have the groundwork laid for a F2P transition :P I'm cheap and want to play this game!
    Honestly, IDC about either pay systems. I'm in love with the game so I'd play it either way. Especially because it's not "OH LOOK A DRAGON! OH LOOK A CASTLE! OH LOOK A SHIELD!"
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2012-06-18 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    Honestly, IDC about either pay systems. I'm in love with the game so I'd play it either way. Especially because it's not "OH LOOK A DRAGON! OH LOOK A CASTLE! OH LOOK A SHIELD!"
    Yeah, the modern time period and the settings I've seen in the game are spectacular and quite refreshing. It makes me super happy to be running around in an environment that doesn't feel like it could easily be placed in a dozen other games and still make sense

10+ Year Old Account
    Either way, their combat systems are more similar than different. No one is saying that they are clones of one another but to say that they are not similar means you would have to ignore certain facts about both games.

This is why I like TSW though:

http://www.kingsmouth.com/
    Last edited by PACOX; 2012-06-18 at 10:07 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    "OH LOOK A DRAGON!"

Just kidding :P

As for TSW, I tried the first beta weekend (I think) and the combat didn't really feel right, trying to dodge but it didn't really seem to matter much (might've simply been a beta thing, though).

However, I do like the concept/story behind TSW (modern time world etc.), and might try it out at some point after the launch, once all my time isn't taken up by RL/WoW/TERA/List of steam games that I've yet to complete.
    FFXIV: Rintha Elenah | WoW: Rinth | GW2: Reno Turan

There's a ton wrong with the game and I don't think it will all get fixed by July 3rd. They may delay it again, or they may pull the trigger and go for it. I've probably got around 300ish hours logged on the beta, and they are making improvements at a very steady pace. It's not going to be a pretty release, but the game is enjoyable if you approach it with an open mind and no preconceived notions or judgments. Combat gets crazy interesting, especially once you get further in the game and have to try new decks. The difficulty ramps up quite a bit after the first few zones, and the dungeons, especially the higher-end ones, are very engaging.

If you write this one off at launch, keep an eye on it. This is Funcom's baby, it'll probably get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    There's a ton wrong with the game and I don't think it will all get fixed by July 3rd. They may delay it again, or they may pull the trigger and go for it.
    Pretty sure they can't delay it now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    There's a ton wrong with the game and I don't think it will all get fixed by July 3rd. They may delay it again, or they may pull the trigger and go for it. I've probably got around 300ish hours logged on the beta, and they are making improvements at a very steady pace. It's not going to be a pretty release, but the game is enjoyable if you approach it with an open mind and no preconceived notions or judgments. Combat gets crazy interesting, especially once you get further in the game and have to try new decks. The difficulty ramps up quite a bit after the first few zones, and the dungeons, especially the higher-end ones, are very engaging.

If you write this one off at launch, keep an eye on it. This is Funcom's baby, it'll probably get better.
    The setting is fresh, and great. The questing is a step away from the standard, which is good. Graphically wise it's nothing out of the ordinary, and combat feels a bit wonky, apart from melee, which feels 10x better than anything else. I could justify paying 50 euro's for the product itself, but I feel that asking a subscription fee for this is a bit over the top. Having the in-game cash shop alone, without the subscription fee could potentially be a much more interesting model for them.

Deleted
    i played the last beta weekend and the game felt pretty awkward ... i like the setting though ...
    also i'm in for the no classes, you get all the skills stuff ...

so i created a templer ...
    after about 10 minutes in the game i wasn't able to stand the completely boring cutscenes where people talk to you without you saying a word - ever (been spoiled by SWTOR for that) ...

also I didn't get that system with APs yet ... is it like that you have to spent AP to get new skills? and how do you get new AP ?

to sum up ... i think that concept is a nice and promising piece of work (as was age of conan) ... but i fear that funcom will screw it up in any way until release.
    the interface also felt not well-arranged ... it is hard for me to find specific parts of the UI and so on...
    also that dodge thingy didn't feel that good, mainly because of the keybinds ... can't dodge while you're smashing your number-buttons ... ^^

Got my second friend-key (like last week), not using it.

If anyone wants it for themselves or a friend shoot me a PM, first come first serve (inb4 30 PMs when I wake up?). Better than rotting I guess.

Edit:
    It's gone I think.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2012-06-19 at 10:38 AM.

Ok so... I've been playing beta. The game is hideous. AND hardware demanding (makes me to get w7 64 to be able to put everything on max, even though I have a very nice pc). Characters are godawful ugly. Animations are beyond terrible.
    But I'm still gonna buy it. Why? Very good atmosphere. Love modern setting. Quests are fantastic, original and diverse. Really hooked me up, can't wait for next beta and release. Gonna test more weapons. Don't have big plans for it, it's gonna be like Tera, great fun for few weeks. Plus it's cheap in my country (russia).

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrusader View Post
    cutscenes where people talk to you without you saying a word - ever (been spoiled by SWTOR for that) ...
    See, I hated that about TOR. It's pretty immersion breaking when the voice that comes out of your character's mouth isn't the one you had in your head. Plus I didn't really find the dialogue choices all that interesting, especially since the PC lines were reused judiciously. There was only so many times that I could hear "that should entertain me" come out of my character's mouth before it started to grate. TOR was a good game though, just had its flaws like everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJekyll View Post
    The setting is fresh, and great. The questing is a step away from the standard, which is good. Graphically wise it's nothing out of the ordinary, and combat feels a bit wonky, apart from melee, which feels 10x better than anything else. I could justify paying 50 euro's for the product itself, but I feel that asking a subscription fee for this is a bit over the top. Having the in-game cash shop alone, without the subscription fee could potentially be a much more interesting model for them.
    Yeah I really think companies need to get off the sub thing. I'm not saying WoW should be the only game allowed to charge a sub, but it's likely the only game people are willing to pay a sub for. If I hadn't had the opportunity to play the beta, I'd probably give TSW a pass at first. The game grows on you, though. Kinda like a fungus... a really weird and engaging fungus.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Pretty sure they can't delay it now.
    I'm fairly sure you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrusader View Post
    i played the last beta weekend and the game felt pretty awkward ... i like the setting though ...
    also i'm in for the no classes, you get all the skills stuff ...

so i created a templer ...
    after about 10 minutes in the game i wasn't able to stand the completely boring cutscenes where people talk to you without you saying a word - ever (been spoiled by SWTOR for that) ...

also I didn't get that system with APs yet ... is it like that you have to spent AP to get new skills? and how do you get new AP ?

to sum up ... i think that concept is a nice and promising piece of work (as was age of conan) ... but i fear that funcom will screw it up in any way until release.
    the interface also felt not well-arranged ... it is hard for me to find specific parts of the UI and so on...
    also that dodge thingy didn't feel that good, mainly because of the keybinds ... can't dodge while you're smashing your number-buttons ... ^^
    This. I couldn't stand the cutscenes either. But at the same time i am scared to skip them because i didn't want to miss something that was vital to completing a quest. then if you did skip the cutscene and ask for help you get flamed for rushing through the game and not enjoying the content. I can not tell you how much i hate this crap. I play a game to PLAY...not be a part of a somewhat interactive movie.

Anyway, you have SPs and APs. SPs you spend on new skills in the various weapon and magic branches...you know like the skill Egg Scrambler in the fist tree. The APs are used to boost those skills. you know puting a SP in your fist tree will make your Egg Scrambler ability hurt more.

you get both by filling up the XP bar. When the XP bar is full you get both SP and AP. then there are something like three little bubbles you get SPs for filling up...sort of like mini-dings in EQ2.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Got my second friend-key (like last week), not using it.

If anyone wants it for themselves or a friend shoot me a PM, first come first serve (inb4 30 PMs when I wake up?). Better than rotting I guess.

Edit:
    It's gone I think.

Thanks to Lysah for giving me their key!

Oddly, I just got 2 keys for the upcoming beta weekend, just after I registered. I'm sure they will be giving them away for free even more than the last weekend, but if anyone wants theirs early, I can give them to the first 2 people that PM me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh man, that was the worst post-beta survey I've ever seen. I keep hoping I missed the part where you actually get to type up constructive feedback. It was about 10 questions mostly consisting of:

Will you recommend the game to others?
    ~Sure
    ~Why not?
    ~Meh
    ~Probably not
    ~Fawk no, son!

Seriously, even if I choose an extremely one sided answer, what are they learning from this? Do they even care WHY I said no?
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    TSW is a bastardization of GW2 combat which is a slight off shoot of traditional MMORPG combat.

-Targetless
    -Cast while moving
    -Semi-active dodging
    -Combo/Synergy between multiple abilites
    GW2's combat system is a dumbed down version of TSW. They did it in the name of "We don't want players to be overwhelmed" with 12 choices at level 20... Reminds me of what blizzard di to WoW in cata...

If you want a rich time consuming MMO experience play TSW. If you want plug in and play, play GW2. GW2 was made for casuals. TSW was made for the guy that plays more than he should.

One game builds for mass appeal, one game builds and knows if it's good they will come.

Deleted
    Got invited to this weekend where they will have pvp
    But come on norwegian company, it's the weekend of swedish midsummer... you know sweden, your big brother, increase the beta days a little =)
    Ah well, anyone know if we can use same client as for this last weekend or if it will be a new one? If it's same I could perhaps try a little before work that monday

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Got invited to this weekend where they will have pvp
    But come on norwegian company, it's the weekend of swedish midsummer... you know sweden, your big brother, increase the beta days a little =)
    Ah well, anyone know if we can use same client as for this last weekend or if it will be a new one? If it's same I could perhaps try a little before work that monday
    Check your inbox. Happy Midsummer!

Especially because it's not "OH LOOK A DRAGON! OH LOOK A CASTLE! OH LOOK A SHIELD!"
    and that's why I will never play it..I want swords, shields and dragons..knights and princess, gods and goddess...shiny plate armors
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

GW2's combat system is a dumbed down version of TSW.
    I have played both, neither of them are alike and I don't agree GW2 is dumbed down version of TSW combat. They are both different, far from dumbed down and GW2 has plenty of choices.

TSW is your traditional tank healer system, with body blocking and the whole stay out of bad stuff thing.

GW2 is without the tank healer system, no body blocking but has dodging similar to Tera if you want a comparison (but not exactly like Tera).
    Last edited by zito; 2012-06-19 at 09:49 PM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I have played both, neither of them are alike and I don't agree GW2 is dumbed down version of TSW combat. They are both different, far from dumbed down.

TSW is your traditional tank healer system, with body blocking and the whole stay out of bad stuff thing.

GW2 is without the tank healer system, no body blocking but has dodging similar to Tera if you want a comparison (but not exactly like Tera).

You have the ability to do the same in TSW. The problem is, that the ability system is SO open that people have a hard time with it and they fall back into the trinity because it's easy for them. During my time in the Beta I leveled as a hybrid DPS/Healer. I easily switched back and forth in dungeons in TSW.