Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Use of dodge != usefulness of dodge. That about summs it up.
    If you need to use dodge, you will (or at least should) be using dodge. So in this case, the correlation is there. No need to be facetious, I was asking an honest question. Dodge may not have been useful in the content you saw, but the game gets progressively harder and dodge becomes much more useful.

Nobody's going to call you a noob if you didn't play any further than Kingsmouth or Savage Coast. Those zones are fairly easy and aren't going to capture everyone's fancy, making them want to play further. I'm genuinely interested in where you played and how it matches up with your opinion of dodge's usefulness, and not because I want to prove you wrong or discredit your opinion. I just want to know where your opinion comes from is all.

What is the difference between the 3 schools of magic? None of the youtube videos or the SW webpage seems to describe that.

I wouldn't underestimate dodge in any case. It's a great defensive mechanic, even if it doesn't have many uses at this moment in game (which I strongly disagree), it's a neat trick to play around with. For example - when you need to introduce some part of a boss fight where all players would have to be super mobile and attentive at certain point of time.

Without such mechanic as dodge on your hands you as a dev have many limitations with encounter design. If you overdo, you're forcing your players into certain specs/classes or are forced to introduce different defensive mechanisms yourself to add diversity to the game, and this poses many balance ramifications. If you don't make it difficult enough, the encounter becomes trivial. That's just an example.

You can do many different things with dodge and if you're creative it won't feel dull after a certain amount of fights involving the mechanic. I say dodge if fucking great (well except for the activation part, that's bullshit imo).

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    Gear is invisible.
    While they said 'gear' I think they meant clothing. Clothing in this game does not carry stats, gear is essentially tokens. Clothing can be mixed and matched as you desire to get the look you like. I don't play this game yet so I can't attest to how good the clothes are.

Quote Originally Posted by lazymangaka View Post
    Cell phone tethering, maybe? I've gamed pretty extensively on 3G, and while it's not a perfect solution it'll definitely do in a pinch.
    How much latency do you have when you are playing online game approx.?
    And can you explain me what cellphone tethering is, I never heard anything about a such thing before?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PiOchagnon View Post
    How much latency do you have when you are playing online game approx.?
    And can you explain me what cellphone tethering is, I never heard anything about a such thing before?
    It's using your cellphone as a 'modem' to connect to the internet. The latest smartphones have this feature, and seeing they also mostly all have 3G, you can use your phone to connect your PC/laptop to 3G internet. You can also just go to one of your cellphone carriers and buy a USB stick for your PC/laptop that does the same thing, and usually with that you can buy a subscription. I don't know where you live, but here in Belgium it is fucking expensive and I wouldn't advise it at all. 2GB bandwidth costs €30 a month here, it's bloody ridiculous, you can get a normal adsl line or cable line for that price... (or well you can't because of where you live). There has to be a better solution than 3G internet for you... unless you can get unlimited bandwitch for a decent price
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2012-07-11 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    What is the difference between the 3 schools of magic? None of the youtube videos or the SW webpage seems to describe that.
    A *very* basic overview:
    Elementalism is ranged/AoE DD with emphasis on applying and exploiting Afflicted and Hindered states.
    Chaos is melee/PBAoE DD and/or Evasion with emphasis on applying and exploiting the Weakness state.
    Blood is ranged DD and/or Healing/Protection via shields with an emphasis on applying the Afflicted state (DoTs).

Different school of magic pair better/worse with other weapons. Here's a great guide:

http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/guides:weapon-choices

Elementalism goes best with assault rifles. Chaos goes well with Hammers. Blood goes well with Blade and Fist. That said, there are many other synergies you can create besides those (See the above link.)

Also: Elementalism focuses on support. Blood on healing. Chaos on tanking. So if you have a preferred role of those 3, that can help you choose.

As for visual effects, Elementalism is fire/electricty effects. Blood is... bloody. Lots of blood. Blood everywhere. Chaos is... sorta like kung-fu magic. Yeah.

And finally: Elementalism focuses on big crits. Blood is about DOTs. Chaos is about short-range fighting and defense stats.

You can go through the various decks here to get the general idea. To put it simply chaos goes well with melee; it's close range, good survivability. Blood goes well with almost anything; it's dots, shields and heals. Elementalism goes well with firearms; not sure what it does ... crits or something.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Chaos is one of the better looking weapons to use. That fighting stance is badass. I'm really enjoying Shotguns/Elemental right now. Great damage output and good control.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    A *very* basic overview:
    Elementalism is ranged/AoE DD with emphasis on applying and exploiting Afflicted and Hindered states.
    Chaos is melee/PBAoE DD and/or Evasion with emphasis on applying and exploiting the Weakness state.
    Blood is ranged DD and/or Healing/Protection via shields with an emphasis on applying the Afflicted state (DoTs).
    Thanks a lot! Thanks to everyone else too as I was also looking for the 'feel' of the schools of magic, what they did, synergies and such so all togeather I got the info I needed. Thanks again.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2012-07-11 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    Chaos is one of the better looking weapons to use. That fighting stance is badass. I'm really enjoying Shotguns/Elemental right now. Great damage output and good control.
    I enjoy it too. Although there aren't many defensive tools to use in both of those weapon sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I enjoy it too. Although there aren't many defensive tools to use in both of those weapon sets.
    Nope! It's either nuke it or eat shit tryin' lol

I'm kind of 50/50 on getting this game, especially with the impending GW2 release.

Quote Originally Posted by Drofdel View Post
    I'm kind of 50/50 on getting this game, especially with the impending GW2 release.
    That's holding a lot of people back right now. Only reason I really got TSW is because I enjoyed the beta and just happened to have some extra money coming in from some good commissions.

15+ Year Old Account
    I pre-ordered thinking it was the only way to get into the Beta's (I'd been following the game for years), then only to find out you could easily get keys off fan sities -_- hoewever, I'm actually enjoying it (when I play it, not actually played that much), so at the end of the day, no biggie!

I picked up TSW with full intent to stop once GW2 hits. However, if Funcom can fulfill Ragnar's State of the Game with monthly updates, focusing on the whole game and not just the end game, then I foresee me coming back to TSW once the 'shiny' wears off of GW2 a month or two in. TSW has this certain charm to it, and it really stands out from the rest of the genre.

During the wow inactivity end of cata time I joined a vanilla wow group and one of the requirements was to start a class you never played before so I started a warlock and I ended up loving it so much that I left the group so I could progress through BC, wrath and cata to get my demonologist ready for MoP but now that I am max level I decided I needed to pull down the DS tier gear for warlock. That's whats keeping me from picking this up.

I don't think it does yet, but it did just launch last week, give it some time Im sure you will see something of this sort eventually

If I'm still enjoying this game when GW2 comes out, I have no problem playing both. Neither game has a hardcore time investment I think, so it's not really a big deal to spread your time between both games.