Page 6 of 257 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Intrigued. I'll at least try the beta.

10+ Year Old Account
    As an MMO addict I will check this one out fosho. No lvling doesnt mean ull get all ur skills from the start so seems to be some pseudo-lvling involved

You need a facebook account to participate in the lead-up to beta (lame)!

I just hope you don't need a facebook account to actually play the game... but for some reason I think you will.

Deleted

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    You need a facebook account to participate in the lead-up to beta (lame)!

I just hope you don't need a facebook account to actually play the game... but for some reason I think you will.
    Better hope not as Facebook will be destroyed on November 5th!

/runs for the hills

Was looking forward to the Beta but it aint worth joining Facebook for...

some news from reviews of the beta test:http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-secret-...1213030p1.html

and http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...ew.html/page/1

and more from http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/
    the_secret_world_previews_hit_today

including language: English, German, French, Norwegian and Spanish. so far looks all the reviews good

Reading those beta insights re-piqued my interest in this game, especially the "lore" aspects and those awesome sounding quests...

Roll on open beta!

MMORPG.com has given the "rising star" to The secret world.
    the price means what believes people need to watch for in the coming year.

also monsters as Bogeyman, Wraith, and jack o lantern has been revealed. http://thesecretworld.com/world/monsters link.

Wow, I'm impressed, this must be the game I find the least interesting of all times. It's strong points are the not having the things I like in a mmorpg. I'm sure it'll be successful but I'm nowhere NEAR the person who would enjoy this. It's the antithesis of what I find fun in mmorpgs...

I tell you, I'm absolutely shocked...

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Ketchup View Post
    No leveling system, no classes, recreation of Earth.
    This is as far from a regular MMO you can come without it not being an MMO. And it sounds awesome!
    this is exactly how i feel! It's NOT a regular mmo..PERFECT!

Yes we have the holy trinity, but with over (I think) 500 different skills at launch cookie cutter builds will be almost non existent (as long as it's balanced between skill sections.) You do level in a way, you get XP, then you hit a plateau and get skill points to continue to improve what you have or dabble in other areas. I think it sounds fascinating. Knowing the current mmo market and reading what so many player want, this will probably have a small devoted fan base, but since their are no clear cut classes and proper leveling casuals, and even hardcores will turn away from it. I think there is a group of us looking for just this TYPE of thing. I am so pumped for this game April cannot come soon enough.

End-of-month bump.

One thing to point out about the skills and no classes is that you only get space for 7 active and 7 passive skills on your bars. So while you can't roll multiple characters of multiple classes, you can change out your skills and basically "class change" your character. It's not about which class has the best utility/damage/CC, it's about the player that builds the right skill-set and uses it properly. Yes, you earn "xp" to gain skill points, but not all abilities cost the same amount of skill points. The further from the center of the skill wheel you get, the more skill points they cost. The game is still being beta tested and is under an NDA, so there's still a lot of info being withheld. You can check out the skill wheel (sans most skills due to NDA) here.

As far as targeting, it works pretty much the same way as WoW-style MMOs, but there are also conal and AOE attacks. You can also cast while moving. The cash shop has repeatedly been claimed to be for cosmetic purposes only and not pay-to-win. Armor is not the traditional armor, in that it's not visible. Characters can wear whatever they want, and clothing will come from numerous sources.

PvP is supposedly going to be carried out in dedicated zones, as well as in "fight clubs" and ranked arena ladders. From what I've read, there won't be any open world PvP. PvP will supposedly be an alternate way to progress through the ranks of your society, as opposed to having to grind rep through dungeons/quests.

Hopefully, over the next couple of weeks, a new beta phase will open and the NDA will be lifted. From the short-lived gameplay videos I've seen so far (that were taken down due to NDA violation) I think this game will find a nice niche for players who want something different.

Cautiously optimistic as always about this one.

Dropping this here: http://www.darkdemonscrygaia.com/
    Last edited by Sj; 2012-01-31 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Added official forum link.

Heh... another MMO to add to the "Must Try" list.
    I'm still thinking about it...

The only real thing stopping me from getting this game at release is Funcom. I know it's cool to hate on them, I don't hate them but there is the fact that all of their game launches have been poor. It took AoC over a year to get things sorted out (and they still never recovered from that poor launch). I am hoping they have learned their lesson about launching the game because I really am intrigued by the ideas of this game.

From Twitter posts and devs posting on the forums, they aren't shying away from the fact that they blew it hard with Conan. TSW has been in development since 2007, so they're definitely taking their time. Plus Ragnar is leading the project, so I think we can be confident that quality and playability is important in this process.

Not to say you shouldn't be concerned, since it is a legitimate fear.

I agree with not pre-ordering. If you're gonna gamble... definitely don't gamble with Funcom!

That said... as Sarahjane mentioned, Ragnar Tornquist is making this game - and he's a creative genius! So far the game looks great. Graphics are awesome. No classes, no levels. The zones are epic and by far the coolest I've ever seen in an MMORPG, ever.

Finally a game that isn't afraid to be dark. (Literally!)

Gameplay seems alright... they're still sticking to the holy-trinity, but it could be worse. They plan on having outside-game events and ARGs. They plan on having outside-game websites and content that will need to be researched in order to answer in-game puzzles and problems. I think it's going to be great! Very much excited!

I kind of like this game idea, but Funcom also is screwing one of my fav online games (BLC) and I don't know if I want to try it knowing how Funcom is.
    Meh.
    Is it going to be buy to play? Or p2p?
    l'alurl gol zhah elghinyrr gol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupin View Post
    I kind of like this game idea, but Funcom also is screwing one of my fav online games (BLC) and I don't know if I want to try it knowing how Funcom is.
    Meh.
    Is it going to be buy to play? Or p2p?
    Bad news: Buy. Plus monthly sub. Plus cash shop.

Hopefully the cash shop will be cosmetic... or perhaps they'll change their minds on that idea.

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    Bad news: Buy. Plus monthly sub. Plus cash shop.

Hopefully the cash shop will be cosmetic... or perhaps they'll change their minds on that idea.
    Ya they stated cash shop will be cosmetic only.. which is fine, i can't wait for this game!

Here it is...

During today's quarterly financial presentation Funcom presented the initial overview on the planned business model for The Secret World.

At the presentation we revealed that The Secret World will feature a traditional paid subscription model combined with micro-transactions through an in-game store. This information was provided as part of Funcom's financial forecast going forward, and no further details were given due to the fact that we are still working on finalizing the model.

We are very excited about introducing an in-game store already from launch. Being able to integrate the store into the actual design of the game pre-launch gives us opportunities you do not normally get when introducing a store after you have launched a game.

We will be revealing more information about the store at a later date, but what we can say for now is that it will focus mostly on convenience item and character customization items such as clothing - of which The Secret World will offer a ton of variety! As developers we are being very careful in making sure that items purchased through the store does not give players any unfair advantage against those who do not use the in-game store.

Character power in The Secret World will be determined by how well you play the game, not how much money you are willing to put into it. Funcom already has considerable experience with in-game stores such as these and we have previously implemented these systems without damaging game balance in our other games, and as such we are confident the same will be true for The Secret World.

We look forward to revealing more about the in-game store as we progress towards launch!

Sincerely,
    Funcom
    Last edited by Melanieshaman; 2012-02-01 at 12:43 AM. Reason: quote

lol the first picture reminded me of florence and the machine's "the dark days are over" and made crack up laughing so hard coz it said the complete opposite xD "the dark days are coming"
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)

We're confident the .01% left will be thrilled to attend a post-apocalyptic BlizzCon.

I dont beleive Funcom, after Age of Conan