Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    Right, so TERA and GW2 have weak fight mechanics?

I don't think so. Here is why: in these games it boils down to individual skills and survival. If "Bob" is too dumb to move out of the fire he cannot blame the healer for not healing him. Everyone, including "Bob", know it was him. He cannot claim "lol I wuz unlucky there guise" because the other players also get to tank and dodge the same boss abilities. "Bob", clearly the fifth wheel on the wagon who got carried, won't be invited to runs anymore, and will due to lack of the multiplayer aspect of the game quit "game sux lol". A sub lost, the average quality of play goes up, making the developers design more challenging content for the average player instead. Us above average players win this way, if we stand united in the same game.
    Good points, but weak players are going to be weak regardless of the setup. I think that's just the age in me coming out. Anything without the trinity feels like solo play to me. Maybe that's why I wasn't impressed with TERA or the bit of GW2 I snagged.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    Good points, but weak players are going to be weak regardless of the setup. I think that's just the age in me coming out. Anything without the trinity feels like solo play to me. Maybe that's why I wasn't impressed with TERA or the bit of GW2 I snagged.
    I had time for one 5 man in GW2. The aggro system primarily consisted of damage output and character proximity to the monster. Because these things were basically able to 2 shot all of us, we had to smarten up and pay heavy attention to where we moved, juking in, getting our damage in, rolling to avoid two big hits and running out to let someone take the place in the fray. All of us. It was incredibly fun and far more fun that I've had in Trinity games in years. (This coming from a major trinity supporter.)

That being said, you're exactly right. 80% of the community, even the GW2 community, isn't going to be able to handle that on a regular basis.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

I like how I can challenge myself being "undergeared" or "underleveled" and then if I cannot finish it I gather some more gear and try again. But this seems to be completely alien way to play MMO to many players. I also liked how I had to read quests in TSW in order to complete them.

Actually, it is like you say, but worse: if they farm their gear and you don't, you don't have chance to compete in PvP due to lack of PvP stat ("resilience" or "expertise") PvE-wise you cannot compete either due to lack of gear (ilvl, QL, whatever it is called). There is hope though: it appears the PvP in GW2 isn't about gear. There is no grind because there is no subscription therefore no need to keep people playing the same content.
    It's cool that in MMORPGs you can always play to have a challenge... but you're right: that's not how people play these games!

MMORPGs are about a CHARACTER's progression, and not the PLAYER's progression (in terms of skill, experience, reflexes, etc etc). Generally MMORPGs will attract players who have capped their own progression (fairly low I might add) and instead play to increase their character's progression (since that requires nothing more than lots of free time).

But this mentality is so ingrained into players, that I suspect many will NOT like GW2 BG/warzone PVP because there is no character progression. If you as a player suck at GW2 PVP... and you've reached your own skill cap... then there is NOTHING you can do to make up for it! You will forever suck at the game! And that's going to be a HUGE turn-off to players who've overcompensated for shitty skills with good gear in their current MMORPGs of choice.

I also liked how I had to read quests in TSW in order to complete them.
    This is quite weird to me. Which quests do you have in mind? Investigation only? Because all the other quests I have seen were about following markers on map. Most of the time when starting the mission NPCs were talking about completely unrelated philosophical crap, and you had to read instructions in mission tracker to know what to do. If that's what you meant by having to read then I agree.

I especially "liked" the lighthouse quests. In first one guy was rambling about how main character is drawn to darkness, which was an introduction to quest in which you had to "follow" some clues from his book. Or to be more precise, for some unknown reason game was showing you where to go, read some books and kill some mobs.
    In the second one guy was babbling about futility of his actions and how does he keeps shooting zombies every day. Then your mission starts and bam, you learn that you are supposed to find better ways of dealing with zombies.

And that's how most missions look to me. First NPC keeps practicing philosophy and then, out of the blue, game tells you to do something. Indeed, mission introductions are of no use, so you have to read. But reading instructions under mission tracker is enough to beat most of the missions. Even following the story in missions is harder, because you are not getting any feedback on-the-fly, because once you complete one tier, next one starts immediatelly, without giving you any description or summary of what you are actually doing. No, you have to open mission log and find something there, but there's not always time to do that
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    This is quite weird to me. Which quests do you have in mind? Investigation only? Because all the other quests I have seen were about following markers on map. Most of the time when starting the mission NPCs were talking about completely unrelated philosophical crap, and you had to read instructions in mission tracker to know what to do. If that's what you meant by having to read then I agree.
    Bingo.

Enjoying quest dialogue is one thing, sitting through 3 minute obligatory cryptic rantings about human worth only to have to go back into your menu anyway just to figure out what the hell he was talking about and then end up following the magic map arrows anyway isn't quite what I had in mind.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Speaking of, anyone know if it is possible to disable the quest markers?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    Speaking of, anyone know if it is possible to disable the quest markers?
    I doubt, I can't see how would the game be playable then. Quest description rarely says where you have to do something.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Pretty neat game, but with GW2 and MoP nearing release, and considering SWToR subscription drop; I'm betting TSW is going to have to go to a F2P scenario to be a viable option with the competition. Nice concept game, though.

Deleted
    I don't get the hate for the trinity. Without it, fight mechanics are pretty weak.
    My problem with it is that it's much harder to find a group. It's just that most people prefer to be dps rather than tanks or healers. I personally also have 0 interest in tanking or healing, even though I tanked first dungeon in TSW just fine with a blade. But then I suffer from long LFG queues or it's just overall harder to find a party.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Calling all agents! Even with our greatest mystery right infront of our eyes ready to be unlocked, the threat of humans still exist. Foolish humans who does not dare open the gate! I must request of all of you intrested in whats beyond the gate to join me in my cause to vote to open the gate!

You may vote once a day and it will be decided after three days if we open the gate or let it be closed forever. I hope you all see this issue in my vision.

"Change requires chaos, and chaos is ours to orchestrate."

/roleplay off

This is the ending of the ARG and we all do what we must to achieve our goals huh.

A fellow Dragons speaks to as of why we Dragons should open the gate
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUs4BZoctpk
    Last edited by XepNes; 2012-06-27 at 10:30 PM.

I've preordered just now and wonder when they'll let me in. Haven't been paying much attention to the development but CGIs were awesome so I decided to give it a try.

oh boy another mmo. i just can't understand why developers keep making them, since most are pretty bad.

but at any rate, if its f2p i'll check it out, if not, no thanks.

looks stunning, and interesting tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not F2P. So, yeah.

Any ways, my Early Access patcher is all up-to-date and ready to go.

They changed the name of the RP server from Faerie to Arcadia. Had some forum-goers complain that it could hold connotations of hate speech against the people that inhabited the realm. I like "Arcadia" better, but I don't like the reason they changed it.

For those interested, Arcadia was the name of the world in which April Ryan and Zoe Castillo became trapped in The Longest Journey and Dreamfall.

Deleted
    Right, so TERA and GW2 have weak fight mechanics?

I don't think so. Here is why: in these games it boils down to individual skills and survival. If "Bob" is too dumb to move out of the fire he cannot blame the healer for not healing him. Everyone, including "Bob", know it was him. He cannot claim "lol I wuz unlucky there guise" because the other players also get to tank and dodge the same boss abilities. "Bob", clearly the fifth wheel on the wagon who got carried, won't be invited to runs anymore, and will due to lack of the multiplayer aspect of the game quit "game sux lol". A sub lost, the average quality of play goes up, making the developers design more challenging content for the average player instead. Us above average players win this way, if we stand united in the same game.

Incidentally, if TSW had puzzles instead of riddles, as Tobold suggested on his MMORPG blog, the average intelligence of the player would go up too.

I like how I can challenge myself being "undergeared" or "underleveled" and then if I cannot finish it I gather some more gear and try again. But this seems to be completely alien way to play MMO to many players. I also liked how I had to read quests in TSW in order to complete them.

Actually, it is like you say, but worse: if they farm their gear and you don't, you don't have chance to compete in PvP due to lack of PvP stat ("resilience" or "expertise") PvE-wise you cannot compete either due to lack of gear (ilvl, QL, whatever it is called). There is hope though: it appears the PvP in GW2 isn't about gear. There is no grind because there is no subscription therefore no need to keep people playing the same content.
    You know tera has a trinity right? Lancers, priests, mystics, ring a bell?
    Fukkin dipshits. I'd rather have a trinity than deal with the boring shitpile that is GW2 pve, 90% of the time is spent running AWAY from bosses until your heal is off CD again, so you can get a few hits in.

My limited experience with the game was extremely buggy, but I enjoyed what time I spent playing. F2P I'd jump on it, subscription... I'll have to pass for now.

I had a fun time in the theme park, particularly the octo-ride despite freeze ups handing my ass to me.

I actually enjoyed the philosophy clips; as far as I can tell most people don't read quest text at all anymore and simply take a peek at their quest objectives and set out to complete them. That's still the case here, but with the clips I get a feel for the NPCs giving me quests. Deputy Andy is a lot creepier after listening to his clips, though he's not so bad a sort after listening to others. The explosives guy is bland enough, til I chatted him up and listened to all he had to say... and then he became a memorable character.

That's the case for all of the NPCs I spoke to (and I became giddy after speaking to Hayden Montag - love Combs!) - it's simple enough to skip their chatter, but if you listen to all they have to say they become more than quest-terminals. At least, they did for me.

I was a little disappointed that the game was so waypoint heavy. It would be fantastic if they'd give an option to turn it off. I was sort of hoping I had to keep track of locations outside the game but I can understand why they didn't go that route. Far too many players need and demand them, and they're really only interesting, new, and unexpected the first play through anyway. Some quests didn't have any, and they were still simple enough to figure out - but the number of people asking for help with them made it pretty clear that even those were too hard for a lot of people.

I think what turned me off most was that I'd occasionally crash to desktop and the game's error info suggested I switch to Windows 7 64bit. I use Windows 7 32bit. Seriously? I'm well withing recommended specs, but the game tore through my memory and vid card like they were nothing. I could probably do with a vid card upgrade (though mine is a bit above recommended), but an OS for a game that wasn't quite "there" yet? I don't think so.

Again - F2P, I'd / I'll be all over it. It was a definite change of pace from the usual fantasy setting. I simply can't convince myself to buy the game, pay a subscription fee, and have to buy a new vid card and possibly OS for it, considering how other wise buggy it was. Yes, it was a beta weekend, but it was a very late beta weekend. Perhaps I'll take another look at it in a month or three, because it looked like a lot of potential fun.

They've patched a good 4 or 5 times this week. They're still busting ass on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    They changed the name of the RP server from Faerie to Arcadia. Had some forum-goers complain that it could hold connotations of hate speech against the people that inhabited the realm. I like "Arcadia" better, but I don't like the reason they changed it.

For those interested, Arcadia was the name of the world in which April Ryan and Zoe Castillo became trapped in The Longest Journey and Dreamfall.

I feel the exact same way. I like the name better but I don't think they should've changed it. I mean it's good they are listening to the customers and then taking that feedback and analyzing it but sometime you just have to stand your ground.

---------- Post added 2012-06-28 at 01:41 PM ----------

AH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU1qk...layer_embedded

One of the creepiest songs of the game. Couldn't do this mission with the lights off.

I love the Sirens Song. Sucks it wasn't on the OST.

Closed beta keys up for grabs:
    MYMDYQXAXJNHLYXFHS2J
    4SELWBSEBKKMDQ6QKLKX