Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by Hybr1d View Post
    Unrelated to the laptop, but I'm hearing a lot of negative sounds concerning "game" related educations, as in people don't learn the stuff you need to learn. They, being people who've attended such education and people who make games (or assist/work in a company producing games), tell me it is way better to take a generic education in the direction you want to go since they teach you way more.
    You can take all the schools you want, no one will hire you without experience no matter how much education you have.

Doesn't really matter what you learn in the schools, you can pretty well learn everything in them on your own through web tutorials and the official Autodesk manuals. Only thing you should look for in a specialized school like that is how hard to they try to put you into the industry.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Most courses - at least in the United Kingdom - comes with "a year in industry". That means that on the third year you work for a company and gain good experience. Perhaps he is doing a similar course Asera.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    I would hope so, most of them are total bogus and rob you over 2 years for stuff you can easily learn on your own.
    red panda red panda red panda!

I do agree. I would rather encourage people who want to go into game development to take a Computer Science degree instead of a game development specific one. That's what professors and employees have told me at least! As you learn the skills required for game development and much more.

In addition, while it may appear bogus and you can "easily" learn how to code and such yourself. It is essentially required to have a certificate of qualification (a degree) to prove to your potential employees that you can do what you say. I suspect it would be hard to even get an interview if you have no qualifications but insist that you are a great games developer. Of course, if you made a popular game for the i-phone or something that everyone uses then it's no problem I assume. However, that's not always the case!
    Last edited by Jaqera; 2011-05-30 at 02:56 PM.