Where does the PERL come from in the X-Perl mod?

Hello all!

Where does the PERL come from with respect to that wonderful Mod? Is it an acronym, and if so, what for? It is the name of the original author? Or does it actually have to do with the coding language Perl? The latter would really surprise me.

Thank you.

That's like asking where the "Nuggets" came from in Mage Nuggets. Or why they called it "NPCScan" instead of "NPCSearch". Or why Warlocks are named how they are instead of "Necromancer". And why Priests aren't called "White Mages".

I don't really think there is a real answer for you, but if there is, then I've been a moron =)
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    That's like asking where the "Nuggets" came from in Mage Nuggets. Or why they called it "NPCScan" instead of "NPCSearch". Or why Warlocks are named how they are instead of "Necromancer". And why Priests aren't called "White Mages".

I don't really think there is a real answer for you, but if there is, then I've been a moron =)
    Warlocks are called Warlocks and not Necromancers because they are Warlocks and not Necromancers.

Warlocks consort with demons and use demonic fel energies.

Necromancers consort with the undead and use foul necromancy.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx View Post
    Blizzard is a conglomerate that through lower sub numbers has raised revenue. They're not stupid, they're just not catering to you.
    Yes yes, I know, the sky just bonked you on the head, casuals are taking over the government, and some baddie just got a raid drop... I think you'll live.

http://darisdroppings.wordpress.com

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    X-Perl is an enhanced copy of Perl Unit Frames.
    They are called Perl b/c that was the name of the Original author

15+ Year Old Account
    There was a unit frame mod called Perl Unit Frames way way back. I believe X-Perl was somehow extended, either directly from the codebase or it was designed to look similar but with more features.

Then again, the whole Perl and X-Perl thing was before TBC... so my memory could be way off

Edit: bah! beaten to it

10+ Year Old Account
    I figured it had something to do with the Perl programming language, but I really have no clue. Could be just a name too.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Perl was the guy who created Perl Unit Frames which later was abandoned and picked up and modified to what is now X-Perl. Not 100% on this but pretty sure I'm right.

X-Perl is a continuation/reincarnation of a mod from vanilla wow that was called Perl. As to why that author chose that name, I don't know.

edit - lol @ all the duplicate answers in such a short time.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    The Arms warrior has pet names for all his weapons, while the Fury warrior shows up for battle drunk and half clothed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dariela View Post
    Warlocks are called Warlocks and not Necromancers because they are Warlocks and not Necromancers.

Warlocks consort with demons and use demonic fel energies.

Necromancers consort with the undead and use foul necromancy.
    Lol, I see you missed his point entirely.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

Thank you everyone who replied, my question is answered.

It would have been very very cool if the mod used Perl, but that was pretty far-fetched. Al though the Perl interpreter is written in C, WoW could use it someday. Ha ha ha!!!

Deleted
    If one day they made the addons to be written in perl instead of LUA, that would be a sad day.