Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Rift performance issues.

I have got a weekend trial, and i have been playing rift for the past hours.

But im having terrible performance issues. I mean im running on high settings atm and i can barely get above 25fps. Its definitely a deal breaker for me because the game looks absolutely horrible at high settings even with the AA at 8 or more. At ultra settings where you finally get that clean look you would expect from todays games i get like 5 or 6 fps lol.

I dont have a super pc by any means but its not that terrible either, i run WOW 25 mans on Ultra with high shadows and even on spell heavy moments i get pretty decent FPS, with the norm during fights being a steady 50/60. I run Bad Company2 on maximum setting with no sweat, Crysis, Dirt2, F1 2011, all of them close to maximum with no problems at all.

Im runing 7 on an i7@4.0Ghz, 6gb Kingston fast gaming memory(cant remember name) and an HD5770.

My gfx card its probably bottlenecking the game but still its an horrible performance for the way the game looks.

Anyone having the same issues.

i played it at my buddy's house and even tho he claims it never has issues i had lag every minute and twice his CPU crashed and needed a manual restart. and yeah the graphics kinda suck... oh and he has a 1600 dollar high power gaming laptop.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It looks bad on my cpu and the "feel" of it just feels so unstable, like my cpu wants to crash but just doesn't cuz it doesn't.

I have the same problems. I'm pretty sure that rift doesn't play with ATI. I'm using a pair of HD5970s. Two of them,and each one is two HD5870s (downclocked 10%), so I'm sitting on way more than 4 times the power. And I get about 20-30FPS. I can run every other game pretty much on above ultra.. as in turn to ultra than max any sliders which aren't maxed already and it runs amazingly. But rift is... okay.

These problems aren't a given but they don't seem to exist for nvidia. Note rift only advertises it's requirements in terms of nvidia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deevicoos View Post
    I have the same problems. I'm pretty sure that rift doesn't play with ATI. I'm using a pair of HD5970s. Two of them,and each one is two HD5870s (downclocked 10%), so I'm sitting on way more than 4 times the power. And I get about 20-30FPS. I can run every other game pretty much on above ultra.. as in turn to ultra than max any sliders which aren't maxed already and it runs amazingly. But rift is... okay.

These problems aren't a given but they don't seem to exist for nvidia. Note rift only advertises it's requirements in terms of nvidia.
    I cant believe a game with the aspirations of Rift would neglect ATI costumers... that sucks. But the problem for me is, well i can manage the 25fps is sort of playable, but like i said the game looks absolutly horrible at those settings.. deal braker no doubt, until i get a gfx upgrade at least. I am actually enjoying the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikni View Post
    I cant believe a game with the aspirations of Rift would neglect ATI costumers... that sucks. But the problem for me is, well i can manage the 25fps is sort of playable, but like i said the game looks absolutly horrible at those settings.. deal braker no doubt, until i get a gfx upgrade at least. I am actually enjoying the game.
    As I said, it's not a given ATI cards will fail at rift, but nvidia ones don't seem to have this issue. I might be wrong though.

Rift looks great in screenshots... but it is similar to AOC where once you see everything move.. it really doesn´t look good anymore. WOW uses much simpler models, but the animations and framerates make it much better for actually playing a game and not just looking at screenshots.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikni View Post
    Tell that to nvidia users with dragons age 2 i heard there was all kinds of problems. If nothing else a new set of drivers will probably fix it.
    I played the beta and had no problems usually vsync capped.
    i5 2500k
    ati 5850
    i wouldnt say its ati/amd problem, unless something drasticly changed when it went live.

---------- Post added 2011-04-01 at 01:22 PM ----------

[QUOTE=deevicoos;10937700]I have the same problems. I'm pretty sure that rift doesn't play with ATI. I'm using a pair of HD5970s. Two of them,and each one is two HD5870s (downclocked 10%), so I'm sitting on way more than 4 times the power. And I get about 20-30FPS.QUOTE]

you didnt mention the most important part the cpu. And i can almost guarantee rift and wow would run better with one 5870 than one 5970 much less 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was downloading the patch and i keep getting error 1006, cannot download remote manifest, i checked everywhere, and can't find a solution

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deevicoos View Post
    As I said, it's not a given ATI cards will fail at rift, but nvidia ones don't seem to have this issue. I might be wrong though.
    I was in beta with an i5 750 @ 3.8GHz and a Radeon HD 5770. I had no issues at 1920x1080 after dropping shadows down. Rift is still an MMO. It's highly likely that it's very CPU bound.

Right now I have to use 6 month old video drivers because they are more compatible with WoW because WoW's development team has neglected the drivers. There is an official blue post saying "Don't use the up to date drivers, use these ones." If I use up to date drivers in certain areas of the game (Including All Current Raid Instances) then my video drivers have a seizure and crash, screen goes black, and my drivers restart themselves. This happens every 2-10 minutes randomly.

"Oh no, I have a slightly lower framerate with this new game that came out a month ago that causes it to be slightly less good looking but doesn't hinder my gameplay at all." Cry some more, at least you can use your up to date video drivers. My other games performance suffers because of World of Warcraft, period. And with the amazing development and response time that has been proven by Trion Worlds support staff, I'd say you're more likely to get support with your ATI cards before my newest video drivers are even supported by World of Warcraft. Deal with your decent frame rate. God knows other people I know wish they even got 20+ FPS in WoW, let alone RIFT.
    Last edited by Kahran; 2011-04-02 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Edit for Number correction.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahran View Post
    There is an official blue post saying "Don't use the up to date drivers, use these ones."
    That's because those are the last drivers to have been tested and known to work with WoW. That doesn't mean newer drivers are bad.

If I use up to date drivers in certain areas of the game (Including All Current Raid Instances) then my video drivers have a seizure and crash, screen goes black, and my drivers restart themselves. This happens every 2-10 minutes randomly.
    Strange. 11.2 works fine for me. Also, I just saw that 11.3 came out 2 days ago. I'll have to try those.

Right now I have to use 6 month old video drivers because they are more compatible with WoW because WoW's development team has neglected the drivers. There is an official blue post saying "Don't use the up to date drivers, use these ones." If I use up to date drivers in certain areas of the game (Including All Current Raid Instances) then my video drivers have a seizure and crash, screen goes black, and my drivers restart themselves. This happens every 2-10 minutes randomly.

"Oh no, I have a slightly lower framerate with this new game that came out a month ago that causes it to be slightly less good looking but doesn't hinder my gameplay at all." Cry some more, at least you can use your up to date video drivers. My other games performance suffers because of World of Warcraft, period. And with the amazing development and response time that has been proven by Trion Worlds support staff, I'd say you're more likely to get support with your ATI cards before my newest video drivers are even supported by World of Warcraft. Deal with your decent frame rate. God knows other people I know wish they even got 20+ FPS in WoW, let alone RIFT.
    ...Really? I have a 460 and a 6950(70) in the last month used the most up to date possible drivers with both, beta in the nvidia case and had completely 0 issues with wow, couple of months ago 4870, problems with wow with up to date drivers 0, bit strange your case.

On topic, I just tryed my old 4870 in Rift beta, although I wasn't maxing the game haven't had any real big problem, no idea how is it working atm though.
    Last edited by Enola; 2011-04-02 at 03:09 AM.

I've been playing the game for a couple of weeks, got the graphics on high settings, and get around 30 fps in Sanctum on average. Graphics look amazing, I could up the settings to ultra as it doesn't seem to lower the framerate really, but I was worried about raids and dungeons, but saying that with high settings the dungeons I've been on are silky smooth, the only time I see my computer struggle is when there was like 40 people smashing up a nest from an invasion lol, so many particles I could bearly see anything! I'm running a Quad core 2.4ghz(overcloaked to 3ghz) 6gb ram, and a 460 gtx (stupidly overcloaked supposedly). Not had a single crash, freeze, blue sreen or weird graphics problems at all, but saying that my guild leader seems to have a few issues as his game crashes a lot, and some are reporting invisible mobs lol.

I'm amazingly impressed with Rift, recommending it to everyone, hopefully patches will make it run at higher fps, as optimistion kicks in, bugs and loops are plugged. But with the progress the Trion team have made with content, patches, balancing etc, I'm sure it won't be long for these issues to be cleared up.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I remember when I got into the open beta and first stepped outdoors and my screen almost took a shat. I went into the video settings and realized the ground clutter slider was at max, but the actual setting was thousands above what the slider was supposed to allow. Once I gave it a jiggle back to the proper max setting it seemed much smoother.

i dont know what some peoples problems are. i have a quad-core, 4gig ram, 260gt nvidia and it runs fine on ultra...

Quote Originally Posted by whyusocrazy View Post
    i dont know what some peoples problems are. i have a quad-core, 4gig ram, 260gt nvidia and it runs fine on ultra...
    At what resolution? 1280x1024? And "runs fine" is a matter of perspective.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    That's because those are the last drivers to have been tested and known to work with WoW. That doesn't mean newer drivers are bad.

Strange. 11.2 works fine for me. Also, I just saw that 11.3 came out 2 days ago. I'll have to try those.
    It's actually a problem with ATI/AMD cards, I'm getting more FPS with my GTX 260 than 6950 in this game.

I only played in beta, and they had an issue that you had to turn off Anti Aliasing on certain cards.
    Try doing that, see what happens.

I played WoW on medium settings, and had to turn on lowest setting in Rift. Still Rift looked better with lowest settings than medium of WoW.

1900x1080 resolution, running two 9800GTX+ in SLI with 4GB of RAM and a Q9600 quad-core CPU overlocked to 3.6GHZ on each core. At high settings and a low anti-alias setting I rarely get above 35 FPS, and about ~25 FPS during mass-combat.

The game really doesn't run too well.