Poll: Between Wrath or Cata; which had/ has the more interesting Lore?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Is Cata uneventful when compared to Wrath, lore-wise?

Sure we have Thrall doing his thing, Deathwing emerging; but when compared to Wrath's first couple content patches, it seemed... more involved. Questions have arisen: where is Garona when you kill Cho'gall? Maybe that isn't Cho'gall and he's just a fake. Nef/ Onyxia, Deathwing has nothing to say about them dying... again? ZG/ZA? There could have been something new.. like Abyssal Maw to continue Neptulon; with all the current data-mined stuff, there doesn't appear to be a lot of... RP... yea we all know the "We named him Draenosh, it means heart of Draenor in Orcish." but it gave us something to joke about and a little more useless junk to get us involved in the story. I really like seeing lore actually given to us before a boss fight/ during a fight/ in an instance, rather than everything being a one time quest line.

What happened to Blizz saying they will give us a War of the Ancients, other new 5 mans to continue story, as well as an Old God raid. It just seems like a lot to implement... with not a lot of time.

No I'm not saying I'm going to quit over it, I have too much to do in game.. but I want to see more lore to make things actually a bit more fun.

/end rant

Unless you've played Warcraft II, yes.

We saw a lot of Arthas, in Wrath, which is why I think a lot of people are often "Meh" when it comes to lore this expansion.
    "Actually, it'd be more like a group of friends all buying tickets for a play, but then being charged extra to sit together."

Yea that's very true as well. With Wrath we had things like UK where the Lich King was giving orders to that Vykrul chick and turning her into a Val'kyr.. where as with Deathwing, we just hear that he's pulling the strings.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedeus View Post
    Unless you've played Warcraft II, yes.

We saw a lot of Arthas, in Wrath, which is why I think a lot of people are often "Meh" when it comes to lore this expansion.
    I actually wish we saw less of Arthas, or I should say a better version of Arthas. While the LK fight sort of explained the why he did what he did it still came off as disappointing when he was supposed to be a major in your face bad ass. Instead Arthas was more like the Scooby-Doo villain every time you saw him, "Damn you meddling kids, I'll stop you next time!".

Deathwing has been a lot less in your face so to speak in that it really doesn't feel like we're fighting the war against him as much as it did arthas. Too many nebulously connected minions for those not familiar with his story.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

The Neptulon story feels so...rushed and not finished. I mean he's the ruler of water and we only see him, what, in a skippable cinematic and as a helper in the end of a short 5 man? I know Blizz said that's the end of his story, but FFS I hope they surprise us with more.

Other than that, I don't know. Firelands will probably help with this, along with other future patches.

Though I feel sorry for Onyxia. ):

Lightning's Blade forever

I feel like this is rough to judge at least in terms of "Who's the big bad villain now?!" if only because the raid content hasn't progressed far enough. Quest-wise, though, the lore for Cata destroys WOTLK's from my view.

It's very difficult for the Cata storyline to have remotely the same immersion as Wrath (or even BC) for that matter, because everything centers around anthropomorphizing a dragon, who heretofore has been nothing but an evil caricature.

Despite the flagrantly derivative nature of the Arthas story, it was the most compelling thing WoW could possibly ever do. Young over-zealous prince is corrupted by evil, heroic Paladin exiled because of his personal morality rises again to heroism to lead the battle against Arthas, some degree of redemption for Arthas at the end. All while the story-telling was laden with thematic elements and foreshadowing all over the place. Nothing remotely as interesting is going on right now.

imo, Cata just sucks. So boring. I honestly miss Wrath. =(

10+ Year Old Account
    they really are not making the twilight cult that in your face

i mean they were way more in ur face in the shattering event, the worst thing ever made

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    they really are not making the twilight cult that in your face

i mean they were way more in ur face in the shattering event, the worst thing ever made
    Sir, your avatar/display picture/wahetever is amazing. I salute thee.

Also, I can't believe they have yet to make a joke about the Twilight Cultists just being rabid Edward Cullen fans. Figured they would, since they like to reference pop culture and the like.

(If they did, I apologize. I tend not to pay attention in WoW if I got my music going.)

I did enjoy Wrath from a lore perspective, more then Cata so far.

And I didn't think I would. I didn't play the RTS games, so I didn't have any attachments to the story before hand, so I was like, "Meh, generic frozen north expansion, with emo zombie main villan."

But Wrath was like a work of art from a story telling perspective.

Cata doesn't have quite the same feel to me. Maybe it's because I haven't leveled an alt thru the new 1-60 game yet, but it just doesn't feel as comprehensive and tied together as Wrath did.

By the time I finally killed Arthas, I was sad the story was over.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying Cata quite a bit, I just really liked the Wrath story.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx View Post
    Blizzard is a conglomerate that through lower sub numbers has raised revenue. They're not stupid, they're just not catering to you.
    Yes yes, I know, the sky just bonked you on the head, casuals are taking over the government, and some baddie just got a raid drop... I think you'll live.

http://darisdroppings.wordpress.com

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowful View Post
    Sir, your avatar/display picture/wahetever is amazing. I salute thee.

Also, I can't believe they have yet to make a joke about the Twilight Cultists just being rabid Edward Cullen fans. Figured they would, since they like to reference pop culture and the like.

(If they did, I apologize. I tend not to pay attention in WoW if I got my music going.)

thanks! i will ride this pony into undercity and cut off sylvanas's head!

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    thanks! i will ride this pony into undercity and cut off sylvanas's head!
    Good lord I would pay good money to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Definitely not, did you play the zones in Cata?

There's infinity more lore than in WotLK

Did you finish Twilight Highlands?
    I beg to differ... the new zones I actually finished 100% and am still bored by them; but I did also say I'd like to see stuff that does not involve a one time quest line as stated above.

Quote Originally Posted by Dariela View Post

And I didn't think I would. I didn't play the RTS games, so I didn't have any attachments to the story before hand, so I was like, "Meh, generic frozen north expansion, with emo zombie main villan."

Cata doesn't have quite the same feel to me. Maybe it's because I haven't leveled an alt thru the new 1-60 game yet, but it just doesn't feel as comprehensive and tied together as Wrath did.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying Cata quite a bit, I just really liked the Wrath story.
    This^^
    Last edited by Aeriyo; 2011-05-31 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dariela View Post

Eh. I leveled my play from level one a few months after Cata came out and it made me sad to see how they've changed the instances. Why you take my Troll Mini-Bosses away from the Sunken Temple, huh?! /sigh

Wrath's lore was fine, but like someone else said he seemed way to much like a Saturday morning cartoon villain that just got defeated and came back again next week.

I enjoy Cata's lore, or at least the continuation of the stories that we already had. Mankrik showing up and beating some quillboars down and Silverpine Forest is great and even takes you into Gilneas a good ways. EPL is just plain awesome, in my opinion, with the characters that are just talking while you ride the cart to the next tower. Stonetalon Mountains is another great area that leads Garrosh to not be such a dink.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Afaik, Cho'gall was the last real lore figure from the original RTS games, everything else in this xpack has either been invented (Al'akir/Neptulon) or shamelessly rehashed because there's no real lore figures left (Onyxia 3.0 Nefarion 2.0 Ragnaros 2.0).

That's the reason WoW has lost it's luster for me tbh, I started playing WoW with the goals of killing Illidan and Arthas. I had no idea what a "Deathwing" was, and still don't care. I just couldn't see myself paying (playing) for 2 years to kill a big bad guy that I don't know or care about, and his legion of zombie raid bosses I've killed years ago.

**That only applies to raiding, the quest lore in cata was satisfying enough, but I don't play for the quests.**
    Last edited by smashzu; 2011-05-31 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smashzu View Post
    **That only applies to raiding, the quest lore in cata was satisfying enough, but I don't play for the quests.**
    Yes; this is how I feel; by saying "this", Maklor, I'm trying to get my feelings across without the need to retype them if someone else has already said something. You need to read/ understand before making assumptions on how other people think of the topic, and not that it would only be me with this one opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Poll please.
    And yes I think so, the only thing that interests me lore-wise in Cata is N'Zoth

Quote Originally Posted by -Zait- View Post
    Poll please.
    And yes I think so, the only thing that interests me lore-wise in Cata is N'Zoth
    N'zoth, to me, doesn't count. He was invented into the lore, although the concept of "Old gods" has been around since AQ.
    At least they didn't rehash C'thun and Yogg, though.