Thread: portal 2 coop

10+ Year Old Account

portal 2 coop

how does it look like? im thinking on buying it

first of all does it have chapters the same as singleplayer?? i ended portal 1 only twice (because it was really short, otherwise i would do it only once) and deinstalled it. didnt rly play those advanced maps. generally what i dont like about singeplayer games is that once you end it you can trash it and thats why i like multiplayers, especially MMOs because in singeplayers if you ended it there is nothing more to see.

i heard there is some editor for PCs. do ppl make a use of it and add some cool maps ??

and im really curious about the customization in coop. how does it work?

thanks in advance

it was a fun and entertaining game but it doesnt have the replayability of 50 dollars

the co op was like 5 missions i think and each mission has about 10-15 puzzles i guess in it. theres a little bit of story that comes with the co op

the customization in co op requires you to purchase items from the store its nothing special

the co op is not like a real multiplayer its like you get a in a game with a friend and finish it in about 3 hours or less maybe

I recently replayed portal as a speedrun and got through it in just above 20 minutes.. portal 2 is bigger and while it has its moment I did in the end expected more (I finished the single player campaign and the coop campaign). I think the biggest problem is it's to easy really .. yes you will most likely be stumped here and there but while the rooms especially past the middle of the game are bigger then anything that portal has to offer, it does feel most of the "big" is filled with "emptyness"... I know some people love it to death just cause it's more portal and yes I did enjoy for how long it lasts but I feel a bit silly to have payed 49 euro for it ... should be 29 or something to feel right to me ..

TLDR: It's good while it lasts, tad easy (catering to casuals ?) and could be longer...

The customazation you mention is worthless trust me, they ask 3 euro for a hat, 5 euro for a skin etc ... its overpriced like hell for pointless cosmetic stuff that to make matters worse can only be used in the coop campaign which lasts 2 or so hours and has real low replay value anyway...
    Last edited by Mediansoft; 2011-05-31 at 05:03 PM.

The multiplayer in Portal 2 is extremely entertaining if you can do it with a friend, but ultimately once you've done it all once, the replayability isn't particularly good as you already know the solutions. Don't let that put you off though, Portal 2 is a very very good game. The humour in both the single player and multiplayer games is amazing as it is, before adding the gameplay on top of it.

And yeah, it does have chapters. The first puzzles are pretty basic and to get you in the habit of thinking with two sets of portals and as once you get going proper each chapter introduces an extra puzzle mechanic from the single player game and more frequent use of elements that require one player to control the fate of the other or work in unison.

There is a level editor, but that came out only very recently. I'm not aware of any player-made maps for it yet but I can't say I've really been looking.

As for the customisation, I think you buy items from the Steam shop and then you can apply them to your robots. I don't know much of it in detail I'm afraid as I've no intentions to buy anything for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mediansoft View Post
    I recently replayed portal as a speedrun and got through it in just above 20 minutes.. portal 2 is bigger and while it has its moment I did in the end expected more (I finished the single player campaign and the coop campaign). I think the biggest problem is it's to easy really .. yes you will most likely be stumped here and there but while the rooms especially past the middle of the game are bigger then anything that portal has to offer, it does feel most of the "big" is filled with "emptyness"... I know some people love it to death just cause it's more portal and yes I did enjoy for how long it lasts but I feel a bit silly to have payed 49 euro for it ... should be 29 or something to feel right to me ..

TLDR: It's good while it lasts, tad easy (catering to casuals ?) and could be longer...

The customazation you mention is worthless trust me, they ask 3 euro for a hat, 5 euro for a skin etc ... its overpriced like hell for pointless cosmetic stuff that to make matters worse can only be used in the coop campaign which lasts 2 or so hours and has real low replay value anyway...
    49 euro? sounds like you got ripped off.
    Just an edit: Valve says they want to add a supported map maker in the near future for Portal 2, I'd keep my ears open for that
    Edit2: Valve released the Map Editor beta this month, you can download it from the "tools" section of Steam.
    Last edited by Doirdyn; 2011-05-31 at 05:19 PM.

The co op is by far the best part of the game, though the single player campaign is a lot of fun.

Check out www.thinkingwithportals.com it has a semi solid mapping community that have been supplying decent maps for you to try out (both single player and co op.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mediansoft View Post

oh so you have to pay for customizing your robot. lol. i though its done with some ingame currency.

also does that editor allow to make maps for singleplayer or coop
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    how does it look like? im thinking on buying it
    Buy it if you have a brain, or at least played thru the first one..

first of all does it have chapters the same as singleplayer?? i ended portal 1 only twice (because it was really short, otherwise i would do it only once) and deinstalled it. didnt rly play those advanced maps. generally what i dont like about singeplayer games is that once you end it you can trash it and thats why i like multiplayers, especially MMOs because in singeplayers if you ended it there is nothing more to see.
    Yes it does, and that's basically all non-internet based games there that you have described... The experience alone will be worth the $45-50 or so bucks...

i heard there is some editor for PCs. do ppl make a use of it and add some cool maps ??
    I do think so, but idk where to find this...

EDIT: thx grug for the link.. I need to check them out since I'm part of that Steam community, but I never visit their site... lol

and im really curious about the customization in coop. how does it work?
    Same as the customization in TF2... either via achievement earns or shop purchases...

Deleted
    I bought this a few weeks ago, enjoyed it loads. I started off with coop with a friend and it's one of those games that helps improve your friendship rather than have you argue the entire time. It took us around 6 hours I think, was entertaining throughout even if some puzzles were frustrating at times. It's fun being able to solve a puzzle as two, rather than one doing all the work. Single player took me around 7 hours, granted I didn't play the first game. The voice acting by Stephen Merchant is absolutely hilarious, he'll keep you entertained throughout.

I think that the only downside to this game is that it seems fairly expensive, I didn't like dishing out 50 Euros for it either but they have promised DLC in the future so it's a worthy investment in my opinion! You unlock a hat by completing the single player game, which you can then wear on your robot in coop.

It's awesome. If you're playing it with an actual friend who you know good. If not, the moments where you get a good laugh(puns, accidental inflictions of death) become moments of frustration.