Help, Windows 7 key not working, What to do?

Okay so here is my problem. I bough a prebuilt PC and it came today, I started it up. everything works fine.. However when i putt in my product key labled on the sticker of my PC it says its not valid.

Right now i am on the PC. It works fine i tryed a game (runescape, only game i could test on this PC in quick time) So it all works, But every time i restart my computer i get a Acctivate your windows. Message. And on my desktop background in the bottom right corner i got a

(Windows7
    Build 7601
    This copy of windows is not genuine)

What do i have to do? Should i call the company i bought the computer from?

Also i got another computer i bought a few months ago for 200$. It has its product key on the side, What would happen if i enter the key on that one?

Don't waste anything that is yours to try to make it work. Contact the company where you bought it and explain the situation. Hopefully they will work it out with ya.

Deleted
    I have never heard of the background having the Not Genuine water mark in the bottom right.

Sounds more like you downloaded a dodgy copy.

EDIT: I meant more, if it says "Not Genuine" it means its a cracked copy. If it says "Trial" or "Not Activated" then it means you haven't put in your key yet.

Ergo: You downloaded something, updated windows, it found out your copy is not genuine and locked it.

You can always skip/cancel the registration and use your computer like that. The code I got does not work either (I got a windows CD from my University), not sure how it doesn't work. I just skipped/canceled the product key and I can use windows just fine. You will always have a black desktop background tho. Kind of a bummer but too big a deal - at least for me.

If the key is actually for the new PC as you say it is you can simply call microsoft, give them the key, and they will register for it. I would not recommend using the key from your other computer.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Having purchased a pre-built system this computer has come with an OEM license of Windows 7. To activate this license you will more than likely having to telephone Microsoft and input the code that will be given.

To do this follow these steps.
    1) Open start menu
    2) Right click "Computer" and select Properties
    3) Scroll down until you see the listed product key and select "change product key"
    4)Now the next window should have a few options available, one will be to telephone in your product key, select this option, select the country you are located in, then telephone the number provided. Follow the steps given by the Microsoft voice prompt and you should be activated after you complete the automated steps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    I have never heard of the background having the Not Genuine water mark in the bottom right.

Sounds more like you downloaded a dodgy copy.

EDIT: I meant more, if it says "Not Genuine" it means its a cracked copy. If it says "Trial" or "Not Activated" then it means you haven't put in your key yet.

Ergo: You downloaded something, updated windows, it found out your copy is not genuine and locked it.
    Since he bought the computer with windows 7 installed from the start, I'm sure it isn't a dodgy versions. Unless the company is dodgy aswel, which I doubt.

15+ Year Old Account
    did you purchase windows 7 separately or did it come with the computer?
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't really too abnormal and anyone implying that he has a pirated copy is just blindly guessing. This same situation happened to me when I bought a netbook a couple years ago. You just have to follow the steps in the windows genuine authentication and you'll come to a phone number. Call it, it's automated, you just punch in your product key and then something happens on their end to make it work, and you're done.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmon View Post
    This isn't really too abnormal and anyone implying that he has a pirated copy is just blindly guessing. This same situation happened to me when I bought a netbook a couple years ago. You just have to follow the steps in the windows genuine authentication and you'll come to a phone number. Call it, it's automated, you just punch in your product key and then something happens on their end to make it work, and you're done.
    I am just saying.
    There is a difference between Not Genuine and Not Verified.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    I am just saying.
    There is a difference between Not Genuine and Not Verified.
    It always reads Not Genuine if it's running without a product key.

Well needless to say i just speed read the number and putt it in, Read it calmly and efficiently and found out i had mistaken-ed a letter for a number

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    It always reads Not Genuine if it's running without a product key.
    No it does not. If you have no activated it mealy says "28 days for activation - Activate now!"
    http://www.kodyaz.com/images/article...ion-status.PNG

When it is not genuine it changes some screens and lets you know its not genuine. The background is only changed when it is not genuine not because you are not activated.
    http://sillydog.org/graph/ss/paralle...ot_genuine.jpg
    http://i56.tinypic.com/25hd6pv.jpg