Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Question SATA II and SATA III HDDs....

So I've heard from people who have SATA III HDDs that they see higher read and write times on their SATA III HDDs, however I've had some people say stuff like "HDDs don't need that much bandwidth." It's apparent that the HDDs can at least go past 3.0GB/s bandwidth if people with SATA III HDDs are at least seeing something of an improvement on reads and writes, so I was wondering if anyone knows how big of an increase they are. Perhaps if you know a website that has compared them, I'd love to see. Seems like most people are testing SSDs nowadays and what not, and while rightly so, HDDs are not entirely out of the market yet, so I'm just wondering if anyone has seen anything.

For instance, a comparison between a WD Caviar Black SATA II to a WD Caviar Black SATA III.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Edit: oh woohoo 1,500 posts.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Physical spinning disks can barely get up to SATA speeds, much less SATAII and SATAIII, and that's 10,000RPM drives. The only way normal current drives can go beyond that is when they transfer to or from cache, which is not really something to base performance off of.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Deleted
    Above post is basically right. However with technology constantly evolving, if you have the option to move into the SATA III market, then do so as it will become more mainstream in the future.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    It's apparent that the HDDs can at least go past 3.0GB/s bandwidth if people with SATA III HDDs are at least seeing something of an improvement on reads and writes,
    No, what that makes apparent is that the newer drives are simply faster.

SATA I has an approximate maximum transfer speed of 150mb/s.
    SATA II has an approximate maximum transfer speed of 300mb/s.
    SATA III has an approximate maximum transfer speed of 600mb/s.

New Mechanical Hard drives have a transfer speed in the range of 100-120mb/s.
    New Solid State drives have a transfer speed in the range of 500-550mb/s.

SATA III has certain interface improvements that makes it desirable to use, but these will typically be invisible to the end user and are only minor 'tweaks'.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evoss View Post
    Above post is basically right. However with technology constantly evolving, if you have the option to move into the SATA III market, then do so as it will become more mainstream in the future.
    Why would you want them mainstream? They hardly reach SATA II speeds (The 10K RPM drives like the WD Velociraptor ones), SATA III would be a waste if it costs more.

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    Why would you want them mainstream? They hardly reach SATA II speeds (The 10K RPM drives like the WD Velociraptor ones), SATA III would be a waste if it costs more.
    Yea makes no sense. I don't even read posts with that big black evoss sig anymore.

While I agree that mechanical disks are a joke (the Velociraptor ones cost too much per gb) if you have the chance to grab a SATAIII MB do it.
    Theres nothing to lose and its not like they are expensive or much expensive comparing to non SATA III boards.

My Raid0 F3 500GB has an average Seq Read/Write of 220Mb/s and peaks at 300Mb/s!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightbliss View Post
    While I agree that mechanical disks are a joke (the Velociraptor ones cost too much per gb) if you have the chance to grab a SATAIII MB do it.
    Theres nothing to lose and its not like they are expensive or much expensive comparing to non SATA III boards.

My Raid0 F3 500GB has an average Seq Read/Write of 220Mb/s and peaks at 300Mb/s!
    You realize of course you just proved what people were saying...

When in raid 0, each F3 is on a separate sata channel. So what you said is each drive average sequential read/write is 110mb/s to 150mb/s

Which is around sata 1 speeds.
    Last edited by velfurious; 2011-06-01 at 11:59 AM.

Deleted

RAID0, says enough, doesn't it?

If the both drives are the same price and your motherboard has SATA III connections, get one. If it's more expensive, stay the hell away from it.

10+ Year Old Account

Oh yeah, I have a P8P67 from Asus, so I have 4 SATA III ports sitting there going unused that I drool at. When I am able to, I'd like to probably get 1 Vertex 3 SSD for one of them as a boot and WoW drive. Maybe 2 of the 3 left could have 2 RAID 0 WD C. Blacks for frapsing.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by velfurious View Post
    You realize of course you just proved what people were saying...

When in raid 0, each F3 is on a separate sata channel. So what you said is each drive average sequential read/write is 110mb/s to 150mb/s (note the lowercase m.. it's important).

Which is around sata 1 speeds.
    Are you stupid?
    SATAIII boards don't differ in prices so yes, why wouldn't I get a ferrari for the same price of a fiat?
    Seriously, use your brain.

Mod Warning: Calm down.
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-06-01 at 12:50 PM.

Deleted
    Are you stupid?
    SATAIII boards don't differ in prices so yes, why wouldn't I get a ferrari for the same price of a fiat?
    Boards. We're talking drives here.

Are you stupid?
    Before making bigger fool of yourself calling others stupid, guess what's the main difference between Intel's H61 and H67 chipsets which are both meant for Sandy Bridges? Guess which feature is dropped in H61 to lower the cost?
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Before making bigger fool of yourself calling others stupid, guess what's the main difference between Intel's H61 and H67 chipsets which are both meant for Sandy Bridges? Guess which feature is dropped in H61 to lower the cost?
    Before being just as stupid, guess how much my AM3 Board with SATAIII costed?
    And how much does the equivalent non SATAIII board costed?

Yea, thats right.

Deleted
    Before being just as stupid, guess how much my AM3 Board with SATAIII costed?
    And how much does the equivalent non SATAIII board costed?

Yea, thats right.
    Incase you didn't get my other post, this is the thread title:
    SATA II and SATA III HDDs....
    Stop bitching about boards.

I'm talking about boards.

PROBLEM?

Deleted
    PROBLEM?
    As its quite redundant to do so, yes.

Deleted

PROBLEM?
    It's offtopic and not what OP asked for, major problem.

Here's the comparising of the WD CB SATA II vs SATA III
    http://www.overclock.net/hard-drives...0-gb-sata.html

Not that much difference.
    Last edited by mmocf3173aaef6; 2011-06-01 at 12:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

PROBLEM?
    Make your own thread discussing boards then. I originally made this thread discussing the difference one could see in HDDs that are SATA II to SATA III.

As in a comparison between the two following HDDs, for instance:

WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM SATA II
    WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM SATA III

This really has nothing to do with motherboards.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Make your own thread discussing boards then. I originally made this thread discussing the difference one could see in HDDs that are SATA II to SATA III.

As in a comparison between the two following HDDs, for instance:

WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM SATA II
    WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM SATA III

This really has nothing to do with motherboards.
    Theres no difference.
    /Thread

Not even SATAIII SSD's can blow SATAIII bandwith let alone mechanical hard drives.

Happy?